Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SPM sparring wing chun

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    They BOTH did everything that one could possibly do wrong in a fight, even more so a " short hand fight".
    But they also did what we so far to often:
    They over extended their hands, they tried to work they "jing" at the end and NOT the beginning as I mentioned before, they kept their chins up and even moved their head back because they were reluctant to get hit, which ironically is why they got hit more often than not.
    The did not enter on the angle or even up the middle by "slapped" the moment they made contact with the each others "bridges", which didn't work because they were over extend to begin with.
    The lacked intent, and while the hands had some speed, they sacrificed power for the speed, HOPEFULLY because it was only a demo exhibition.

In short, they showed all that a short hand fighter should NOT do.

True that! You should be able to fa ging anywhere within the movement, but you have to practice hitting things otherwise your timing will always be off and you cant learn it from practicing your punches in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    True that! You should be able to fa ging anywhere within the movement, but you have to practice hitting things otherwise your timing will always be off and you cant learn it from practicing your punches in the air.
    Most southern system are to busy dealing with bridges.

Know what boxers make for such pain in the ass for kung fu guys?
    They show and present NO bridges.
    That and from the very first day boxers are taught to HIT moving things that hit back.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

That and from the very first day boxers are taught to HIT moving things that hit back.
    to be fair they are a pain in the ass for a lot of guys, we are all just lucky they are sports guys and dont know how to fight on the street

And to all the guys who say this sucks and is a bad representation of SPM, can you point me to some good clips?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    to be fair they are a pain in the ass for a lot of guys, we are all just lucky they are sports guys and dont know how to fight on the street

And to all the guys who say this sucks and is a bad representation of SPM, can you point me to some good clips?
    remember, they don't wanna share their secret training videos.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

That appeared to be pointless.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anm_5...has_verified=1

0:50 -> what they do actually resembles what was going on in the first clip, lol

Holy Crap Italian TV is fun to watch.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM0zbMCLiC4

Here goes a nice one. Its not Southern Mantis, its wing chun, but none the less the young gentleman sticks to his wing chun principles. He can only get better by having exchanges like this...Good for him!

when i first started bjj i had my ass handed to me by a chica... she was good, is good... i made the typical wrestlers mistakes and served my neck on a platter to her time and time again... after repeatedly getting choked out i finally started catching on... she was cute too, big girl tho... not fat, just big, like 160 pounds 6 feet tall... she had height and weight on me... no excuses tho, she was just better than i was and i kept making the same mistakes... eventually we evened up tho... once i stopped trying to use more strength than technique, everyone started falling to my greatness

being small is an advantage in training coz most males will be in the 165 to 200 range... so i was always engaged in uphill battles... when i jumped into weight classes, i destroyed...

Would you be willing to agree they present no static bridges, and that the bridging opportunities they present are narrow and fleeting?

I think what is also relevant is that Boxers are best suited to fight what comes after the bridge.

They call short arm "Chinese Boxing" - I can see why.

Its the other stuff that makes for all the fun and games....
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Thanks, that was the worst clip I've seen today.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Would you be willing to agree they present no static bridges, and that the bridging opportunities they present are narrow and fleeting?

I think what is also relevant is that Boxers are best suited to fight what comes after the bridge.

They call short arm "Chinese Boxing" - I can see why.

Its the other stuff that makes for all the fun and games....
    I don't think anyone presents static bridges.
    I think those are people who are trying to look so much like their style, that they forget the whole reason it was created.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

EDIT: my bad, got threads confused and left a message that is completely unrelated to this thread... dum di dum dum

Last edited by Syn7; 09-21-2010 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I don't think anyone presents static bridges.
    I think those are people who are trying to look so much like their style, that they forget the whole reason it was created.
    Fair enough, but there are plenty of people that present them nevertheless.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

the problem with arts with bridging to is people get so set on bridging they try to force it to happen instead of just slugging the guy and gettin it over with

its like a hook to the face is so un kung fuey you have to do this complex array of traps before you even think of punching

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down