Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baji Quan is cool

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    TCMA is broad. Aruguably some is not even "Chinese", i.e. Han Chinese. Some would say that you could not cultivate Shaolin and Wudang skills at the same time because the ideological basis is different. Maybe there is less in common between TCMAs than you think? Just something to ponder.
    Yet what YouKnowWho posted makes for a logical cross training path within the TCMAs. Have a look again:

Quote Originally Posted by Youknowwho

Originally Posted by YouKnowWho
    If you can train

- Longfist for foundation,
    - Baji for power,
    - Mantis for speed,
    - Eagle Claw for joint lock, and
    - SC for throw,

You will have a good understanding about CMA.
    You can use also use other logical variations based on this. For example, you can substitute Baji with Chow Gar, and Eagle Claw with Tiger Claw, to start. Again, all of this is general advice.

For example, to my knowledge many, if not most, Kung fu styles, including Northern Praying Mantis, if taught correctly, will give you potent Chin-na abilities.

Anyway, even with the different kung fu styles above, one should acknowledge that they will have similar concepts when it comes to things like rooting, certain strategies and Internal principles.

Having trained in baji under a good master, i can say having looked hard at hung gar(from a knowledge point of view) that i agree boxing/western pugilism is easier to fit/understand than baji quan.
    Oh that didnt come out so well, what i mean is that alot of the basic elements of hung gar fit very easily into the concepts of western boxing etc.

Especially the windmill techniques(piqua related) they conform easily to boxing concepts and yet defeat boxing if used intelligently.

Baji as was stated earlier is a different beast and doesnt easily conform to other styles.
    In the li shu wen lineage the elbow techniques though are beautiful in thier brutality and functionality(which is why i love the style).

So if you want a style thats easier to use and understand with little change from a european mindset then hung gar is great, if you want a style with excellent power and unique fighting style then baji is the one.
    There is no technique that speed cannot defeat......

Baji close range fighting is no joke! I do not practice Bajiquan, but several of my local kung fu brothers are excellent Baji practitioners. Since they also practice tanglangquan, you can see where their mantis boxing has absorbed some of the bajiquan power generation. Observing and practicing this type of power generation has increased my power and given me a deeper understanding of the power generation found in the Ba Zhou (Eight Elbows) form of tanglangquan.

I still prefer Mantis over Baji, but I do have a deep respect for the art and its local practitioners.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!