Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xing Yi vs. Streetfighter

Xing Yi vs. Streetfighter

This is a video of one of Novell's (BlackTaoist) students sparring with a "street fighter."

The sparring starts 6:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvfaT30u_vg
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

the guy in the video is a novice, its not a real sparring match, i think novell set this up to help his student with his beng chuan...only thing is it seems like he throws his students into sparring pretty quick...they could develop alot of bad habits and not be able to generate the right amount of power. it takes time and different develop strategies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    he throws his students into sparring pretty quick...they could develop alot of bad habits and not be able to generate the right amount of power. it takes time and different develop strategies.
    Have different opinion on this. The worst habit is to spar too late or not spar at all. We will have the rest of our life time to train our power generation. We don't have the rest of our life time to test our combat skill. The day that we get a full time job, have kids, and have a house payment, our window of sparring is gone. Some skills don't have age limition (such as power generation), some skills do have age limitation (such as sparring). One should start his sparring as early as possible, and worry about his power generation later on. After all, how much power is enough any way?

When you try to build up a neuclear missle system, will you develop the guiding system that can land your missle right at the target first? Or will you develop the neuclear explosive power first? IMO, if you have a neuclear weapon and cannot be delivered, it will be a totally wasted effort. If you don't have neuclear weapon but you have a good deliver system, at least you can knock a hole on the ground with your missle system.

Some ability can be developed when we are 80 years old. Some ability can only be developed when we were still young. Unfortunately most of the CMA training has ignored this important issue and start their sparring training too late.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-20-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    the guy in the video is a novice, its not a real sparring match, i think novell set this up to help his student with his beng chuan...only thing is it seems like he throws his students into sparring pretty quick...they could develop alot of bad habits and not be able to generate the right amount of power. it takes time and different develop strategies.
    i disagree... best way to learn to fight, is to fight... maybe u dont throw em to the fire on their first day, but once they have a few fundamentals we can start working from there, learn to apply them before you get complacent...

soo... does street fighter equal novice these days?

to me, street fighting implies fighting DIRTY!!

that means pretty much all ball shots
    VancouverCLF.com

street fighting means just that... street fighting...

no rules, vale tudo, anything goes... even tiaji1983's invincible anus poke... forefinger of death bro... the real dim mak

these guys are tough no doubt,but i think maybe this type of training can teach fear at an early stage in training, although these guys both seem really tough,and that street fighter guy for sure has some boxing training.

Personally i prefer the judo way of training. they start off sparring from the beginning, but put a white belt with a black belt and the black belt just takes it easy and lets the white belt work his techniques. As you get better you start to face training partners of equal levels and the intesity increases. Also you can do tournament long the way. The progress is so gradual it really creats a skilled fighter. Thai boxing i heard is the same, the training is contact oriented and gradual,and by the time you are sparring you don't even realize it.

I did some ghetto karate at a community center when i was a kid, and we did hard core fighting, face contact no gear, throwing on the wood floor,stomp the guy when he is on the floor, Sensie Hosay,never forget that. But did this training make me a better fight not sure.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 09-22-2010 at 12:02 AM.

that was typical I go You go beginner sparring, the street fighter moved well enough but novells student looked like he had never sparred, its good he is putting them out there sparring but the level was beginner at best. No head movement, chin up not down, turning away from punches, the guy needs more time under pressure, in a gym not in the street lol

Have different opinion on this. The worst habit is to spar too late or not spar at all. We will have the rest of our life time to train our power generation. We don't have the rest of our life time to test our combat skill. The day that we get a full time job, have kids, and have a house payment, our window of sparring is gone. Some skills don't have age limition (such as power generation), some skills do have age limitation (such as sparring). One should start his sparring as early as possible, and worry about his power generation later on. After all, how much power is enough any way?
    Once More, John has kneed the correct in the balls and laid it out like laying out carpet !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    i disagree, but respectfully!

i used to think this way, but sometimes all it takes is to explain something in a way that resonates with you and your mind can be changed forever.

i asked my instructor, when i was teaching a relatively new guy, if (when he f's the drill up) we should continue anyway.

lets be honest, on the street (or ring, if thats your thing) you cant stop and say "hold on a minute, buddy. let's re-do that because i didnt do it right" can you? so i presumed that if he f's up we should just carry on regardless.

NOT SO...

whilst learning a skill you should practise the movements in isolation until it is complete, you can then spar with it once you have the drill correct... doing it any other way will create a bad habit with that drill as you will believe that it isnt too important to get it right... practise DOESNT make perfect. PERFECT practise makes perfect.
    When it does happen, it's fast and hard and over quick. Either I'm standing or he's standing. That's Real.
    nospam

You type because you have fingers. Not because you have logic.
    Phil Redmond

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LSWCTN1 View Post
    practise DOESNT make perfect. PERFECT practise makes perfect.
    Here is our disagreement. I prefer to "be able to apply it even if it's not perfect" than to "not be able to apply it but it's perfect". I like to "train in fast speed even not perfect" than to "train in slow speed and perfect".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-22-2010 at 12:19 PM.

There is no such a thing as perfection, much less perfect practice.
    In Boxing people are put sparring as soon as possible, to get rid of all the bad habits we ALREADY HAVE and that can ONLY be removed via sparring.
    The bad habits we MAY pick up get "knocked" out of us rather quickly.
    This is not a bad way and may be the best way if one wishes to be a fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    There is no such a thing as perfection, much less perfect practice.
    In Boxing people are put sparring as soon as possible, to get rid of all the bad habits we ALREADY HAVE and that can ONLY be removed via sparring.
    The bad habits we MAY pick up get "knocked" out of us rather quickly.
    This is not a bad way and may be the best way if one wishes to be a fighter.
    yeah, what he said...

you learn pretty quick what works and what doesnt... and the more quality your partners are, the quicker you'll learn these things... and you'll learn what works against who if you train with other styles... i mos def feel that sparring is always a positive thing in learningh how to fight... if all you want is health and longevity, then i dont see a reason why you couldnt just do forms for the rest of your life, but dont expect to be a great fighter...

Blog Entries
    In water, we try to learn how to float before to learn how to swim. In fight, we try to learn not to be killed before to learn how to kill.

We will have our life time ahead of us to make everything "perfect".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-22-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In water, we try to learn how to float before to learn how to swim. In fight, we try to learn not to be killed before to learn how to kill. We will have our life time to make everything "perfect".
    Well Said John, nice analogy.
    And from day one, we are getting wet and testing the waters.