Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Books on bjj

Books on bjj

Any recommended books? Not to replace actual live instruction, but to supplement, that have a good comprehensive and rational presentation of the style? Just curious, thanks.
    Last edited by KC Elbows; 09-21-2010 at 12:33 PM.

Why not DVD?
    Bjj for what? competition? MMA?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Any recommended books? Not to replace actual live instruction, but to supplement, that have a good comprehensive and rational presentation of the style? Just curious, thanks.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Juji...5&sr=1-1-spell

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Why not DVD?
    Bjj for what? competition? MMA?
    MMA and chi retention.

I've got Noguiero's(sp?) book on the guard, and was going to pick up that book on the rubber guard, since there's a copy for next to nothing at the used book store by me(also one on the X guard?).

BTW, if anyone doesn't care for a book and why, that would be helpful, also, I suppose.

DVD's are good, too.

MMA and chi retention.
    Anything by Rickson Gracie, LOL !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I've got Noguiero's(sp?) book on the guard, and was going to pick up that book on the rubber guard, since there's a copy for next to nothing at the used book store by me(also one on the X guard?).

BTW, if anyone doesn't care for a book and why, that would be helpful, also, I suppose.

DVD's are good, too.
    I have the Rubber Guard by Eddie Bravo. I really like the progression of the book. It starts with the half guard and works it way systematically up to the rubber guard.

I don't like his extensive expositions on the glory of marijuana - or his exploits with his psycho ex girlfriend - or his essays on musical theory... so, skip the forward.

Renzo Gracie also wrote this one that I recommend as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Brazilian-Jiu-...tt_at_ep_dpt_1

for the love of god dont get anything from eddie bravo please develop a ground game before attempting his stuff

If you are new anything from matt thornton is your best bet, his way of breaking down basics is the best out there bar none

His tapes should be required watching for everyone new to grappling

For guard work Id reccomend my coaches tapes but dont think you can get his stuff in the states

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    for the love of god dont get anything from eddie bravo please develop a ground game before attempting his stuff

If you are new anything from matt thornton is your best bet, his way of breaking down basics is the best out there bar none

His tapes should be required watching for everyone new to grappling

For guard work Id reccomend my coaches tapes but dont think you can get his stuff in the states
    Are you saying don't get the Bravo stuff because it's not good, or because it would overcomplicate things?

Are you saying don't get the Bravo stuff because it's not good, or because it would overcomplicate things?
    His stuff IS overcomplicated and this teaches bad habbits to beginners, people play with the rubber guard and forget about the basics of BJJ, hip movement, framing etc. Its also leads to people even good guys forgetting about the rest of the game, I cant count the number of fighters that my coach has had to retrain coming back from his place

But the basic thing is he is overhyped and hasn't produced any really good grapplers in years, go with guys that produce good grapplers and teach the basics over and over

His stuff IS overcomplicated and this teaches bad habbits to beginners, people play with the rubber guard and forget about the basics of BJJ, hip movement, framing etc. Its also leads to people even good guys forgetting about the rest of the game, I cant count the number of fighters that my coach has had to retrain coming back from his place

But the basic thing is he is overhyped and hasn't produced any really good grapplers in years, go with guys that produce good grapplers and teach the basics over and over
    What are your thoughts on Noguiero's book on the guard?

What are your thoughts on Noguiero's book on the guard?
    honestly i haven't seen it, but Nogs one of the best there is, and has produced lots of good students...so anything from him would be good

His stuff IS overcomplicated and this teaches bad habbits to beginners, people play with the rubber guard and forget about the basics of BJJ, hip movement, framing etc.
    This is true about people who are exposed to advanced techniques before being taught the basics. From my experience, the best guys on the mat tend to be the guys who start at Step 1 and learn the basics very well before going onto advanced stuff. The guys who come in and immediately try to learn omaplatas, rolling kneebars, flying armbars, rubber guard, etc do not do nearly as well.