Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Books on bjj

How about good online resources? Just saw some Thornton vids, but the site they were on played twitchy on my computer. Still, cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    His stuff IS overcomplicated and this teaches bad habbits to beginners, people play with the rubber guard and forget about the basics of BJJ, hip movement, framing etc. Its also leads to people even good guys forgetting about the rest of the game, I cant count the number of fighters that my coach has had to retrain coming back from his place

But the basic thing is he is overhyped and hasn't produced any really good grapplers in years, go with guys that produce good grapplers and teach the basics over and over
    I wouldn't rely too heavily on his stuff, but I didn't hate it nearly as much as you guys. One thing I really liked about his book is the progression of the techniques where as I've bought a couple of other books where the techniques are just all over the place with no reason or logic behind their placement. I don't have nearly as much trouble with his stuff as you're describing as a "beginner" in BJJ, but then again I'm coming in with a lot of years of Judo training as a foundation.

My favorite as a competitor though is the Champion Techniques one I linked to earlier by Machado. A lot of drills, basics, and surprise techniques like setting up the reverse triangle from the guard which no one ever expects.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    How about good online resources? Just saw some Thornton vids, but the site they were on played twitchy on my computer. Still, cool stuff.
    Bravo stuff, so the other guys will automatically hate it, but: http://www.youtube.com/user/Submissions101

Or you could just moonlight at another school once in a while and learn it properly...
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I wouldn't rely too heavily on his stuff, but I didn't hate it nearly as much as you guys. One thing I really liked about his book is the progression of the techniques where as I've bought a couple of other books where the techniques are just all over the place with no reason or logic behind their placement. I don't have nearly as much trouble with his stuff as you're describing as a "beginner" in BJJ, but then again I'm coming in with a lot of years of Judo training as a foundation.

My favorite as a competitor though is the Champion Techniques one I linked to earlier by Machado. A lot of drills, basics, and surprise techniques like setting up the reverse triangle from the guard which no one ever expects.
    i dont hate Bravo, I just think he is overblown and living of a decade old victory, I also think his stuff is not high percentage and not stuff you should be using as your A game.

An excellent text is:

http://www.amazon.com/Jiu-Jitsu-Univ.../dp/0981504434

But as for DVD's I would say Roy Harris, or his student Roy Dean are superb!

Nothing better than Benneville and Cartmell's "Passing the Guard." Essential reading IMO.

JAB
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Or you could just moonlight at another school once in a while and learn it properly...
    I intend to learn it properly, just currently have little time, so I figured I'd do some research and get an idea what to expect, and try to make my resources ones that would be useful once I did start training in it.

I like www.lockflow.com
    The regular updates they have on techniques are kinda assuming you have a decent base but you can also search the listing for pretty much any technique you can think of, usually with setups and stuff.

BTW, thanks all, very helpful, except Master Killer, who is an angry angry man.

BTW, thanks all, very helpful, except Master Killer, who is an angry angry man.
    But still gave you the best advice, LOL !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Any recommended books? Not to replace actual live instruction, but to supplement, that have a good comprehensive and rational presentation of the style? Just curious, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    But still gave you the best advice, LOL !
    Well of course, if I hadn't given myself the advice first!

It's because of modding, before MK was like a cuddly panda, but three months after he started modding, he became hard, like the bony Olson twin.

Well of course, if I hadn't given myself the advice first!

It's because of modding, before MK was like a cuddly panda, but three months after he started modding, he became hard, like the bony Olson twin.
    You Sir, have the boorish manners of a Yale man !
    *walks away singing Fair Harvard*

Speaking of Roy Harris...

I've always wanted to get his "Brazilian jiu jitsu over 40" DVD even though I'm only 36. The description seemed very solid. Only work high percentage techniques, conserve energy, and don't get hurt. Supposably it focuses on techniques that would keep you competitive with the young guys well into your 40s and 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Speaking of Roy Harris...

I've always wanted to get his "Brazilian jiu jitsu over 40" DVD even though I'm only 36. The description seemed very solid. Only work high percentage techniques, conserve energy, and don't get hurt. Supposably it focuses on techniques that would keep you competitive with the young guys well into your 40s and 50s.
    That's sounds intriguing, links?