Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Books on bjj

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That's sounds intriguing, links?
    Don't bother.

BJJ videos are for the most part useless IMO. The guys who are making them never used them -- they just went to class and trained.

If you want to learn BJJ over 40, do what I did: start in your 40s!

That's sounds intriguing, links?
    http://www.royharris.com/corner/?sec=42&id=1076

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Don't bother.

BJJ videos are for the most part useless IMO. The guys who are making them never used them -- they just went to class and trained.
    I like DVDs and the Youtube. It's not that I'm learning everything from them, but after about of year with the same class - I know their game, they know mine, so DVDs help with new techs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    i dont hate Bravo, I just think he is overblown and living of a decade old victory, I also think his stuff is not high percentage and not stuff you should be using as your A game.
    He's not living off submitting Royler (the reigning world champ) as a brown belt. While that certainly put him on the map, and proves that he has a tight, solid game (you don't beat Royler with crap and Jean-Jacques doesn't just hand out black belts), the "test" for the 10th Planet game (rubber guard, lockdown, etc.) doesn't rest on Eddie's shoulders but to his students (if Eddie can make it work and no one else can, then how useful is it?).

But he's produced a lot of really solid, good sub grapplers. I've rolled with some 10th Planet guys and Bravo's stuff is top notch and high percentage. It's just that it's not for everyone IMO as it requires a very high degree of flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I like DVDs and the Youtube. It's not that I'm learning everything from them, but after about of year with the same class - I know their game, they know mine, so DVDs help with new techs.
    Makes you wonder how the Gracies, Saulo, Marcello, etc. -- all those people now producing DVDs -- ever got so good without having access to youtube and DVDs, doesn't it? Maybe, just maybe, there is a lesson there.

Makes you wonder how the Gracies, Saulo, Marcello, etc. -- all those people now producing DVDs -- ever got so good without having access to youtube and DVDs, doesn't it? Maybe, just maybe, there is a lesson there.
    LOL BJJ is the new WC. We'll have to start a TBJJ forum. We can have lineage wars and everything.

Don't bother.

If you want to learn BJJ over 40, do what I did: start in your 40s!
    Lmao, good point.
    I started BJJ in my mid 30's and while my stint in pure BJJ was short lived since I focused more on the MMA part of it, it was fun and a great learning experience.
    I recommend that ANYONE looking to be a practical fighter to get at least a year of two of BJJ under their belt.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Cool, thanks dude, sounds very interesting and probably worth getting if for nothing else just to see how Roy views the difference between doing BJJ in your 20's and "full time" as opposed to when you are older and it is very "part time".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    LOL BJJ is the new WC. We'll have to start a TBJJ forum. We can have lineage wars and everything.
    Someone will have to come up with a second way to transliterate Gracie names before that can happen. Probably two different transliterations. Royce Gracie, Hois Krachie, Hoyce Greisee.

Then, you need to invent a wooden ground fighting dummy, and it needs to be expensive.

From there, you need to adapt the guard to any other possible activity it might not have been meant for. The guard against the machete, the guard against firearms, the guard against forest fires. How to mount multiple opponents, arm bars versus the legs, versus robots, etc.

Then, you need to make it a gang activity, then quit that activity and make it a body sculptor's activity, then make it a German body sculptor's activity, then an activity done in slippers.

From there, you need to start some sort of competitive venue of narrow martial usage, like point continuous shrimping.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Someone will have to come up with a second way to transliterate Gracie names before that can happen. Probably two different transliterations. Royce Gracie, Hois Krachie, Hoyce Greisee.

Then, you need to invent a wooden ground fighting dummy, and it needs to be expensive.

From there, you need to adapt the guard to any other possible activity it might not have been meant for. The guard against the machete, the guard against firearms, the guard against forest fires. How to mount multiple opponents, arm bars versus the legs, versus robots, etc.

Then, you need to make it a gang activity, then quit that activity and make it a body sculptor's activity, then make it a German body sculptor's activity, then an activity done in slippers.

From there, you need to start some sort of competitive venue of narrow martial usage, like point continuous shrimping.

lol point continuous shrimping i love that one
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

He's not living off submitting Royler (the reigning world champ) as a brown belt. While that certainly put him on the map, and proves that he has a tight, solid game (you don't beat Royler with crap and Jean-Jacques doesn't just hand out black belts), the "test" for the 10th Planet game (rubber guard, lockdown, etc.) doesn't rest on Eddie's shoulders but to his students (if Eddie can make it work and no one else can, then how useful is it?).

But he's produced a lot of really solid, good sub grapplers. I've rolled with some 10th Planet guys and Bravo's stuff is top notch and high percentage. It's just that it's not for everyone IMO as it requires a very high degree of flexibility.
    really well lets see he has not competed since (well apart from his next match in ADCC when leo viera gave him a master class in guard passing and positional work) in nearly every interview he gives he talks about going back into the next ADCC and submitting royler again...maybe in a super fight...or he will face him in MMA..so on and so on.

IS he a good grappler? yes, are his students lighting up the MMA and grappling world, no, are there much better guys to learn from who do the basics better and produce better students, yes

i think vids are ok as aids to people who are already somewhat experienced and have the fundamentals down... learn so new subs to try out next time you roll... maybe hear some theory to help your game one way or another...

but as ive said many times already, i do not feel anyone should start with a video or book and i really disagree with learning your fundamentals that way...

they are aids and add ons... records of progress or just a record of the art period... but thats about it... nobody has said anything to swing me away from that opinion... im open to arguments to the contrary and i'll hear anyone out... but so far nada on convincing me otherwise...

did you get my PM KC???

Cool, thanks dude, sounds very interesting and probably worth getting if for nothing else just to see how Roy views the difference between doing BJJ in your 20's and "full time" as opposed to when you are older and it is very "part time".
    I just got the DVD and I think its great. Roy Harris is a great teacher and very articulate and professional. Its certainly worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    really well lets see he has not competed since
    Yeah, he's 40 and has finished with competitions. So what?

(well apart from his next match in ADCC when leo viera gave him a master class in guard passing and positional work)
    OK, he was beaten by a top BB. Again, this proves what?

in nearly every interview he gives he talks about going back into the next ADCC and submitting royler again...maybe in a super fight...or he will face him in MMA..so on and so on.
    No he doesn't. Certainly Eddie has an attitude that bothers a lot of people (and apparently you).

IS he a good grappler? yes, are his students lighting up the MMA and grappling world, no, are there much better guys to learn from who do the basics better and produce better students, yes
    There are lots of really good instructors out there. Eddie has produced some very good competitors both in sub grappling and in MMA (Aoki, Hardy, Einstein, George S., etc.).

Yeah, he's 40 and has finished with competitions. So what?

OK, he was beaten by a top BB. Again, this proves what?

No he doesn't. Certainly Eddie has an attitude that bothers a lot of people (and apparently you).

There are lots of really good instructors out there. Eddie has produced some very good competitors both in sub grappling and in MMA (Aoki, Hardy, Einstein, George S., etc.).
    Do you just like to argue for agruements sake? And he retired when he was in his early to mid 30's, straight after the match he talks about all the time

What exactly are you disagreeing with, that his game isnt high percentage for newbies...that their aren't better coaches out there whos stuff is better for people just getting into the game?

He didnt produce Aoki he his BJJ black belt under Naki, Hardy (if you mean Dan Hardy) does not get his game from eddie believe me, people may go to him to get bits of his game but there arent many students out there that started and stayed with him

As for not living on that victory or not talking about it in interview after interview, well lets just say we have a different opinion on that