Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Books on bjj

The jiujitsu university book mentioned earlier is great. It focuses on defense and position over techniques and submissions. For example the 1st chapter is white belt:survival which cover defensive postures to use to protect yourself when in a bad position, which as a white belt is often. Chapter 2 is blue belt:escapes, how to use those postures to set up high probability escapes and how to escape from the submissions you will see most. Good stuff, especially for the older grappler like me, not you kids in your 30s or 40s.

As for Bravo I love his half guard stuff. Again for the older inflexible grappler the half guard sweeps are easier to pull off and half guard is easier to recover.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    i think vids are ok as aids to people who are already somewhat experienced and have the fundamentals down... learn so new subs to try out next time you roll... maybe hear some theory to help your game one way or another...

but as ive said many times already, i do not feel anyone should start with a video or book and i really disagree with learning your fundamentals that way...

they are aids and add ons... records of progress or just a record of the art period... but thats about it... nobody has said anything to swing me away from that opinion... im open to arguments to the contrary and i'll hear anyone out... but so far nada on convincing me otherwise...

did you get my PM KC???
    Sorry, responded, check your PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    The jiujitsu university book mentioned earlier is great. It focuses on defense and position over techniques and submissions. For example the 1st chapter is white belt:survival which cover defensive postures to use to protect yourself when in a bad position, which as a white belt is often. Chapter 2 is blue belt:escapes, how to use those postures to set up high probability escapes and how to escape from the submissions you will see most. Good stuff, especially for the older grappler like me, not you kids in your 30s or 40s.

As for Bravo I love his half guard stuff. Again for the older inflexible grappler the half guard sweeps are easier to pull off and half guard is easier to recover.
    I checked out that JiuJitsu University book and I have to say it's definitely on my "buy" list. Unfortunately my kid decided that he wants to play the cello, so my personal "buy" list will have to be deferred for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I checked out that JiuJitsu University book and I have to say it's definitely on my "buy" list. Unfortunately my kid decided that he wants to play the cello, so my personal "buy" list will have to be deferred for quite some time.
    Cello, ouch. Beautiful instrument, expensive and beautiful instrument.

Hope your cello loan goes through.