Thread: Weight Training and Hapkido

Question Weight Training and Hapkido

Hello fellow martial artists,

I hope all of you are well. I would like to know your opinions, particularly those of you who currently practice, or have practiced Hapkido, about weight training when practicing Hapkido. What types of lifting have been of benefit or hindrance to you and your Hapkido development? I ask because I'm trying to ascertain what types of lifting I should begin with. I understand everyone is different but I would like thoughts about the topic nonetheless. I'm not attempting any type of body building as I simply do not see the point nor does my body allow for massive size anyway. I have an ectomorph body type. Thank you for your time and continue the pursuit of martial perfection. Peace

Any kind of generalized strength training will help. If your teacher says otherwise you should find a new school to train at.

You can lift weights without trying to be a bodybuilder. Squats and deadlift will give you a good foundation of strength in your legs. Deadlifts will also help strengthen your lower back so that as you age, you are less prone to lower back injuries than the average person. Bench press and overhead press will strengthen your chest, anterior deltoids and triceps. Pullups will work your lats and biceps, and since you're an ectomorph like me, pullups should be attainable for you Biceps curls for the biceps. Calf raises for the calves. Shoulder flies for the medial and anterior delts. That's pretty much your whole body unless you want to throw in shrugs and ab work.

If you do cardio and weightlifting on the same day, lift weights first. Lifting weights when you're fatigued from cardio could result in injury.

Ideally I wouldn't lift weights on the days you train Hapkido.

When when you start lifting weights, you'll probably be sore, so take it easy. Going to hapkido class with sore muscles might not be a very fun experience. The more your body gets used to lifting, however, the less soreness you will get.

The first time I do squats, for example, after taking time off, my legs are sore and walking hurts for 4-5 days. But once I'm in the routine of things, my legs are like just a little bit sore the day after and that's it.

Just go slowly at first. It can be easy to over do the weightlifting when you're starting.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Step 1 Stop doing Hapkido
    Step 2 Start lifting weights
    Step 3 ??????????
    Step 4 Profit
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by YellaDragon View Post
    Hello fellow martial artists,

I hope all of you are well. I would like to know your opinions, particularly those of you who currently practice, or have practiced Hapkido, about weight training when practicing Hapkido. What types of lifting have been of benefit or hindrance to you and your Hapkido development? I ask because I'm trying to ascertain what types of lifting I should begin with. I understand everyone is different but I would like thoughts about the topic nonetheless. I'm not attempting any type of body building as I simply do not see the point nor does my body allow for massive size anyway. I have an ectomorph body type. Thank you for your time and continue the pursuit of martial perfection. Peace
    You're right about avoiding the bodybuilding - it isn't going to help you.

The way I see it you have two options:

1. Get a 300lbs Olympic Barbell set (they're cheap) and start focusing on a) The Deadlift, b) The Standing Overhead Press (Military Press), c) the Front Squat AND d) the Power Clean. 2 HEAVY sets of 5 reps for each of these drill 3 times a week ought to do the trick.

or...

2. Start Kettlebell Training. You might actually enjoy KB lifting better than barbell work. It'll improve your strength and conditioning pretty fast.

I like both options, personally. I usually go a few months focusing on one or the other.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YellaDragon View Post
    I'm not attempting any type of body building.
    There is difference between "general purpose" weight training and "special purpose" weight training. For example, the bench press is "gerenal purpose" weight training. If you bear hug your heavy bag and pick it off the ground 100 times daily, that's "special purpose" weight training. The formal has "indirect" effect to your MA development but the later has "direct" effect instead.

Quote Originally Posted by donjitsu2 View Post
    2. Start Kettlebell Training. You might actually enjoy KB lifting better than barbell work. It'll improve your strength and conditioning pretty fast.
    Really? Nice affiliate link there
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I'm an affiliate for Martial Arts Mart as well, but they don't offer kettlebells.

At least I didn't suggest he take up working out with a swiss ball.