Thread: Identify this form

Identify this form

Can you identify what sub-style of Long Fist this form belongs to; i.e. Cha, Hua, Pao, etc...?

Ru Ma, Ru Men, Enter the Door, From Madam Wang (Wang Zi-Ping) Lineage.

Shaolin Ru Men - 少林入门

Shaolin Ru Men - 少林入门

Shaolin Ru Men - 少林入门

I'm looking for other versions of it on youtube.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

It seems all shaolin. Each motion in the set looks shaolin in origin by all appearances.

Northern Shaolin can belong to any of the big 5, of which some is not that extant.

Also, there is variation of style over time.

Why not ask the guy who made the film? Unless you have already.

Anyway, the set is call "Ru Men". It says so in the title. lol "beginner form/getting started"
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 09-23-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

good luck with that one...

Madam Wang was a walking encyclopedia of Traditional routines, their history, and use.

You will be hard pressed to find a youtube version of her Tan Tui from Wang Ziping. There are many versions but none exactly the way Wang Ziping's lineage did.

Ru Men is an intermediate level set. It was designed to put a lot of things together and test the person's stamina and flow before they got to the longer harder northern sets. I have only seen this set in her Cha quan based system from her father.

During training with her, we would go along for a good while doing drill after drill..then she would come in and in a short period, teach us a routine that put many things together.... She would usually give a short history of the routine if it was known. If it was not, she would mention what was known. In the case of this one, she just said it was one her father taught a long time ago.

Her Shaolin Duan Da was different from what I have seen anywhere else as well. Hers was an old routine that was a single and then had a 2 person (Shaolin Duan Da and Shaolin Duei Da as she would call it). It was a non-flashy direct set and had some nice uses when you did the 2 person....and REALLY hard to photograph at the end due to both doing Er Chi Tui....and supposed to hit their feet together for effect. The picture of that (found in an old issue of this magazine) - well, I did the photos and had to cheat...double exposure so artfully done virtually no one but a good photographer can tell that it was not done as a single perfect shot....I DID try....but between trying to catch 2 people kicking at exactly the same speed, at full extension, with studio lights capturing stop motion in all its imperfection.... Well, I wasted about a dozen shots on the regular attempt...all garbage...and did the one in the magazine in 2 shots. Sometimes, tricks are good.

Talking

Appears to be wushu, of the chang chuan family

Quote Originally Posted by GLW View Post
    good luck with that one...

Madam Wang was a walking encyclopedia of Traditional routines, their history, and use.

You will be hard pressed to find a youtube version of her Tan Tui from Wang Ziping. There are many versions but none exactly the way Wang Ziping's lineage did.

Ru Men is an intermediate level set. It was designed to put a lot of things together and test the person's stamina and flow before they got to the longer harder northern sets. I have only seen this set in her Cha quan based system from her father.

During training with her, we would go along for a good while doing drill after drill..then she would come in and in a short period, teach us a routine that put many things together.... She would usually give a short history of the routine if it was known. If it was not, she would mention what was known. In the case of this one, she just said it was one her father taught a long time ago.

Her Shaolin Duan Da was different from what I have seen anywhere else as well. Hers was an old routine that was a single and then had a 2 person (Shaolin Duan Da and Shaolin Duei Da as she would call it). It was a non-flashy direct set and had some nice uses when you did the 2 person....and REALLY hard to photograph at the end due to both doing Er Chi Tui....and supposed to hit their feet together for effect. The picture of that (found in an old issue of this magazine) - well, I did the photos and had to cheat...double exposure so artfully done virtually no one but a good photographer can tell that it was not done as a single perfect shot....I DID try....but between trying to catch 2 people kicking at exactly the same speed, at full extension, with studio lights capturing stop motion in all its imperfection.... Well, I wasted about a dozen shots on the regular attempt...all garbage...and did the one in the magazine in 2 shots. Sometimes, tricks are good.
    Thank you GLW.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE