Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First WESTERN guy to teach WCK?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    My former Sifu Alan Lamb was the first westerner recognized by the VT Association in HK
    I guess we're brothers in more ways than one!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I would agree that Alan Lamb was one of the first Westerners to teach in the USA and the UK publicly and with Koo Sang's authorization, as well as the VTAA, in the early 1970's.

His initial teaching at Aaron Bank's Academy in Manhattan spurred the way for many NY'ers. I even remember visiting as a teen, and seeing Alan (a towering figure) teaching classes (assisted by our own Phil Redmond) and the classes were packed!

Alan now resides here in Los Angeles, where he teaches privately. He is quite a gentleman, and very skilled in WCK.

Alan Lamb

Alan- has been in martial arts for a long time. In wing chun alone he has had great teachers...Lee Sing line(Joseph Cheng), Paul Lam(leung Shun line) Koo Sang and others. He got several other
    Wing Chun people started who are well known in their own right in Europe and the US. He is a warrior who battled major illnesses acquired during his stay in the boondocks in Columbia and came back to teaching and practicing his beloved art.A great friend and a wonderful human being.
    He was the first native Brit to teach wing chun. He taught Kernspecht before Alan headed for the US and the Kernspecht linked up with Leung Ting.He has written much on wing chun.

joy chaudhuri

My first KF instructor, David Crook, opened his school in 1969. He never taught WC exclusively, he also taught elements of CLF and Northern Sil Lum. He was a Goju Ryu Nidan before switching to TCMA. He trained intensively with William Cheung in the late 1960's, even before the latter "revealed" TWC to the world.

I doubt he was the first, but he was definitely one of the first.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

i thought bruce lee never learned that much of the WC system and was not recognized by any WC authority and had no titles given by any WC sifu....???
    did lee have any titles from anyone at all? any titles that were given to him rather than self imposed??? earned, i mean, not honorary...

what do you guys think of william chueng and the "real footwork"....???

i read an article where bruce lee said he felt the william chueng was the best WC practitioner he ever trained with...

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Alan- has been in martial arts for a long time. In wing chun alone he has had great teachers...Lee Sing line(Joseph Cheng), Paul Lam(leung Shun line) Koo Sang and others. He got several other
    Wing Chun people started who are well known in their own right in Europe and the US. He is a warrior who battled major illnesses acquired during his stay in the boondocks in Columbia and came back to teaching and practicing his beloved art.A great friend and a wonderful human being.
    He was the first native Brit to teach wing chun. He taught Kernspecht before Alan headed for the US and the Kernspecht linked up with Leung Ting.He has written much on wing chun.

joy chaudhuri
    An insightful post Joy

Its amazing how the skills of one man still have repercussions to this day. His site gives a great breakdown of his past influences.

http://www.alanlambwingchun.com/chronology.htm

I'm still not sure that he was the first as it's not clear if he had any authority at all in the UK, especially from Lee Shing.

Joseph Cheng, as we know, disappeared after his book was released and he only mentions his top students at that time. Alan Lamb was not one of them in print but that may mean little these days.

From what I have researched Alan is a pretty formidable guy. As with everything, it's not all about where you come from it's about what you do with your kung fu through life.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I guess we're brothers in more ways than one!
    It would be nice if we could all be like brothers.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    I would agree that Alan Lamb was one of the first Westerners to teach in the USA and the UK publicly and with Koo Sang's authorization, as well as the VTAA, in the early 1970's.

His initial teaching at Aaron Bank's Academy in Manhattan spurred the way for many NY'ers. I even remember visiting as a teen, and seeing Alan (a towering figure) teaching classes (assisted by our own Phil Redmond) and the classes were packed!

Alan now resides here in Los Angeles, where he teaches privately. He is quite a gentleman, and very skilled in WCK.
    Wow, Robert. You brought back some memories. Sifu Lamb is a big guy. I used to joke with him saying that it wasn't fair for him learn Wing Chun because he knew all the things a smaller person could use on a larger opponent.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr