Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another gift for my kung fu bros.

another gift for my kung fu bros.

get while the getting is good.
    Last edited by teetsao; 10-15-2010 at 10:35 PM.

are these common ingredients??? should they be easilly found in chinatown???

could i write this prescription out and go to a chinese herbologist in chinatown and get him to weigh out all the ingredients for me??? how about mixing it? would they do that too??? or is it better i do it myself???

i really have no experience with jow at all... ive used some that others made... but aside from that, all i know is just from reading tidbits here and there... so pardon my ignorance if im asking dumb questions...

your questions are not dumb.
    yes you can take the herb list to any reputable chinese herbalist as 99% speak english and read pin yin. if they say they dont,then just leave and find another. also there are herbalsits on this site who can fill it easily with no hassel.
    the herbs will come mixed and whole. most places will grind them for you for no extra charge.
    all ingredients except the tiger bone are readily available. just substitute with pig r cow bone and alot of herbalists will have a sub for you.

k... thanx...

what are these recipes from??? are these family recipes??? or common knowledge for traditional chinese medicine practitioners??? if the former, is it from a martial style??? and what style is it from???

this particular one was given to me by an ark wong student a few years back.
    this one is pretty common among his students.
    i also have 2 others of his,but icasnt give those out, not just yet anyway. 1 is a poison fingernail jow that is weird, but even weirder is t know that people actually used it. the ingredients would be next to impossible to get, but it is just cool to have something like that, a peice of history. i am a collector of jow recipes.

How about another 1??

Here you go.
    this is a southern dit da jow formula/recipe handed down in the system i train in. it is a bit different from the norm as you will see. it includes some herbs in a combo that are not common.
    i mix this one with "gold" rum as it is less filtered and is more viscous than vodka, so along with large amounts of mo yao(myrh) ru xiang(frankenscense) xue xie(dragns blood) and hong hua( safflower), it really coats the hands well, almost like a jow glove. this is how i beleive an iron palm medicine should be. it also contains ma huang(ephedra) which is not commonly seen in external jows. i have only seen 1 other jow in all my time that contained ma huang. ma huang is getting increasingly harder to get, i do know that josh from plum dragon has alot on hand, i saw it myself, you can substitute with "mormon tea" which is just american wild growing ma huang from out west. it is available on ebay,if you cant find it. no animal parts are present in this formula. it contains alot of sanqi so it would also be good for a begining student of iron palm but will carry you all the way to your upper training,so you could stick with it forever. it works very well for tiger hand conditioning,like claw bag,jars and any type of fingertip conditioning like tree fanning or such.

HAK HU (black tiger)
    iron palm dit da jow

dang gui 1.5oz
    jing jie 1oz
    su mu 1.5oz
    yu yu liang 1oz
    ru xiang 1oz
    mo yao 1oz
    gu sui bu 1.5oz
    gui zhi 2oz
    mu bei zi 1oz
    jiang huang 2oz
    xu xie 3oz
    hong hua 1oz
    du zhong 1.5oz
    huang lian .5oz
    zhi zi 2oz
    zi ran tong 1oz
    san qi 1oz
    ma huang 1oz
    ding xiang 1oz
    hui xiang 1oz
    bai jie zi 1oz

grind ingredients to coarse grind,add to 1gal of gold rum. will make 1.5 gal. of very strong jow. use for all iron palm or tiger hand conditioning. works fantastic.

i hope all appreciate what i am doing here. i am giving away stuff that has never been done before. used to be,you couldnt get a jow formula to save your life. no one would give anything out. people would always say," i have a very good formula that is hundreds of years old.....but i cant show it to anyone", then why bother telling anyone???
    or if they did, it would always be the formula brian gray put in his books, and they would act like it was theirs or their systems,or that they actually come up with it,LOLOL, i cant tell you how many time i have seen that.
    so what i am doing,is trying to promote the art of kung fu and iron palm and give people legitimate jow formulas that work extremely well,so this gives them the freedom to pick and choose and get it filled at their leisure. none of this, "we go to 3 different herbalists to get our fomrula filled so NO ONE< knows whats in it". LOL, funny thing about it, neither did they.
    enjoy friends.
    Last edited by teetsao; 10-28-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Titusville, Florida (Floridas East Coast)
    Teet

Thanks for giving these out. It is truly a wonderful time to be a TCMAist!

I remember not that long ago (yes, I'm getting old!!!) it was very difficult, if not impossible, to get a traditional jow formula. You could get pre-made jow, but it was very expensive (relatively speaking). On the rare occassion you could get the herbs themselves, they were always ground up so you couldn't figure out what the formulas were. Many formulas were weak, but you would never know until after you bought it and started using it.

Now, people like you are giving out formulas for free. I love the internet!!!!

Another idea is to take a list like these to a local acupuncture school. Schools carry a large inventory of herbs and always have grinders, etc. They really enjoy getting stuff like this too, as most students think it's really cool to make a formula of this nature. Plus, there is no doubt that someone there will be able to read the ingredient list, whether its in characters or pin yin. Also, they tend to be competitive on the prices of their herbs (they've got a reputation to maintain- they're not going to rip you off).

Thanks again!

Eric Hunstad
    www.OldSchoolKungFuNow.com

Very generous Teetsao, but just out of curiosity, how come you never post them in the original Chinese characters? Not looking a gift horse in the mouth of course, and if this question offends in any please ignore it. Just curious, bro.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

no offense whatsoever
    i guess i coould but i am not sure how to do it on here and if i did how would you be able to study the herbs yourself?? which you need to do to better understand the formulas you use.
    the pin yin is how the herbs are pronounced phoentically. this helps you to learn the herb names,and any herbalist can read them. it probably would have been better if i had put them in pin yin,chinese characters and latin, but hey like you said,the whole gift thing.

if you do post em in chinese characters next time, use the pinyin too... its nice to be able to atleast try and say the words

Faruq: why on earth would you feel that was an offensive question??? or are you just being extra careful to not alinate the guy who is giving up the goods???

i think that is all the freebies, buy the book,as it as over 60 formulas in it. everyone wh has purchased it has been pleased and expressed they got well more than thier moneys worth.
    what i gave on here is just a sample of the fantastic formulas you would find in the book. i am happy to help all of you,but at the same time,i cant give everything away. i am glad to see you enjoying it though.

how many books does one need to sell to start turning a profit???

ive been involved with the biz when it concerns music... but thats not books... overheads are alot different, same with production costs...

thank you Teetsao

I came to this site to post a question asking people's opinions on what is their favorite Dit Da Jow. That's not necessary now.

My Sifu in NY's Chinatown had a fantastic formula back when I trained there in the 80's. The main school closed in the late 80's, and that dit da jow became scarce. I just started training again, I was hitting a 10lb bag of rice this past month, and am I ready for small pebbles again. A good Dit Da Jow is really helpful. I will start a batch of Hong Hu dit da jow this week.

Teetsao, you are the man!! I wish you much success in your training.

Quote Originally Posted by teetsao View Post
    i think that is all the freebies, buy the book,as it as over 60 formulas in it. everyone wh has purchased it has been pleased and expressed they got well more than thier moneys worth.
    what i gave on here is just a sample of the fantastic formulas you would find in the book. i am happy to help all of you,but at the same time,i cant give everything away. i am glad to see you enjoying it though.
    Teetsao, sorry, I'm new here. I don't see the name of the book, website, or anything. Please post it and I will buy the book this week.

dukenukem;you are more than welcome. what jow formula did you use?? i may have it,or soemthing very,very close as i am very fortunate to have friends in alot of systems,and i may be able to track it down for you. you would be surprised as to how many schools share the same formula, but dont know it because they wont share and try to keep everything secret.