Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: your striking methods?

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    It's a good thing we have you here to tell us that Kung-Fu doesn't step back.
    Well, someone has to talk some sense, and there are a few of us here, so that the MMA knuckleheads don't completely take over this forum.....

And it does seem that many people are not familiar with this rather basic kung fu concept.....

Quote Originally Posted by LSWCTN1 View Post
    i disagree, your instructor stepped back a lot when i met him. not a problem or a bad point. it just 'is'.

Chuck liddel never did too badly from stepping back...

its a certain skill set, granted, but its crtainly l;egitimate...

think of a boxers jab. he flies in with it then springs back.
    he tends to circle away rather than step straight back, as a rule moving back in a straight line is never a good idea, but angling off and is as you say chuck did this well, but i am probably just argueing for the sake if it lol

Thumbs up Using Body Physics

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    With the entire body like a loaded high tensile, high elasticity modulus steel spring. Which means the smallest movement/compression and generating/absorbing the highest amount of force. It's a whole body thing.

The power is not "pushed" into the opponent but "released" into the opponent.
    Have to agree with you.

Those that take the notion that gung fu / wing chun "doesn't step back" in a literal sense are probably the same people that take the bible as literal fact.

The only way you're not stepping back in a fight is when you're the superior fighter...period. And fighting is fighting is fighting. The whole notion of styles and systems is merely preference in fighting strategy, tactics, and tools...the absolutes or universal truths are dictated by the realities of fighting, not some doctrine.

Can you step back in a fight? Sure. Should you do so in a straight line as someone is throwing consecutive attacks? No. Why? Because you'll get hit most times.

Can you step back to stabilize and change angles? Sure. Can you step back without disengaging the bridge? Why yes you can!

Does stepping back make your gung fu "bad"?? No. To think this way is just ego stroking. I know NO ONE...not a friend, teacher, coach, pro, amateur, colleague....no one...that doesn't step back in some form or fashion in a full contact fight. Why? Because it's simply a statistical reality that it will happen.

But more to the original post, I think it can be either leading depending in the context of ones perspective.

Mechancally, the hand can lead the body with a straight punch because the hand moves first and the body and feet move second, but all landing simultaneously. Yet the body can lead the hands when throwing a hook for example because it's your body torque that is providing the power, the shoulders and hips actually point past the contact point.

One may also conceptualize it and say the body leads the hands in that you need the body to get power to the hands.
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 10-02-2010 at 04:33 PM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Those that take the notion that gung fu / wing chun "doesn't step back" in a literal sense are probably the same people that take the bible as literal fact.

The only way you're not stepping back in a fight is when you're the superior fighter...period. And fighting is fighting is fighting. The whole notion of styles and systems is merely preference in fighting strategy, tactics, and tools...the absolutes or universal truths are dictated by the realities of fighting, not some doctrine.

Can you step back in a fight? Sure. Should you do so in a straight line as someone is throwing consecutive attacks? No. Why? Because you'll get hit most times.

Can you step back to stabilize and change angles? Sure. Can you step back without disengaging the bridge? Why yes you can!

Does stepping back make your gung fu "bad"?? No. To think this way I'd just ego stroking. I know NO ONE...not a friend, teacher, coach, pro, amateur, colleague....no one...that doesn't step back in some form or fashion in a full contact fight. Why? Because it's simply a statistical reality that it will happen.
    IMHO, it all depends on how you train. If one spends the extra time and effort to stick to the principle of not going back (except in emergencies), then I believe that your afforts will bare fruit.

However, if one attempts this principle once or twice, and then thinks it as "unnatural" and go back to the usual hopping in and out of range, together with a going back in angles mindset, then they will never understand the wisdom of this principle!
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 10-01-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    IMHO, it all depends on how you train. If one spends the extra time and effort to stick to the principle of not going back (except in emergencies), then I believe that your afforts will bare fruit.

However, if one attempts this principle once or twice, and then thinks it as "unnatural" and go back to the usual hopping in and out of range, together with a going back in angles mindset, then they will never understand the wisdom of this principle!
    I get what you're saying...the goal is to learn to apply your gung fu in such a way that you wouldn't need to step back. That said--the only way that will occur is when your gung fu skill or fighting skill is noticeably better than your opponent's.

Tell me what's better in a fight:

...to sidestep with no contact and counter strike?

...or to stand your ground, bridge / redirect and counter strike?

Is there really a right answer? Does one give a better result than the other? Both ended with the same outcome. So if the ending is the same, is there more wisdom in one version over the other?

Because "control" can be had without bridging, IMO.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I get what you're saying...the goal is to learn to apply your gung fu in such a way that you wouldn't need to step back. That said--the only way that will occur is when your gung fu skill or fighting skill is noticeably better than your opponent's.
    I believe that the idea of it all is that, once you master the "art of not stepping back", you DO become noticeably better than your opponent.

For example, if most people step or go back if they are attacked, then you are the one who doesn't do that, then imagine the surprise factor. Imagine your counter attack position, when you are always in your opponent's face, hitting him and tying him up .

Of course, this is easier said than done, but I believe that it is well worth the effort to master this aspect of kung fu fighting, as this is one area that is lacking from many of the so called "kung fu" fighters of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen
    Tell me what's better in a fight:

...to sidestep with no contact and counter strike?
    Well, I was also taught to side step, because that is not really going back. Also, at higher level WC, one is not meant to even make a bridge when attacked (not that I have reached this stage), so it would in theory be ok to side step with no contact.

...or to stand your ground, bridge / redirect and counter strike?
    Well, in the Wing Chun that I have been taught, it is not really about standing your ground, as that would suggest offering physical resistance against superior force, which is also against the principles, the way I was taught.

So, what happens is that you can side step on a horizontal line (depending on the type of attack), or you can side step 45 degrees into the opponent, while you have already bridged him. I hope that makes sense, in writing...

Is there really a right answer? Does one give a better result than the other? Both ended with the same outcome. So if the ending is the same, is there more wisdom in one version over the other?
    Well, there is still the chance that once mastered, one method will be superior to the other. Also, it is good to keep in mind that if a given style recommends that you don't go back, as many kung fu styles do, then if you do, you are in danger of missing some of the fighting wisdom inbedded within that style.

IMHO, that happens a lot today, because we are flooded with MA information, hence some of us just píck and choose, so it becomes more "natural" to go back and counter attack; It is more "natural" to "bounce" like some sports fighters; it becomes more "natural" to put the shoulders into certain strikes, and so on, where in the end we loose our kung fu in favor of something else, which may certainly work for us, but cannot be classified as a TCMA, because it has lost the ESSENCE that give these Chinese fighting arts their special and in some cases superior qualities.

Because "control" can be had without bridging, IMO.
    It is all about have one's given art operates and functions in combat. However, the most important factor is to first understand the principle, including its advantages and relevance to one's art, and then practice and repeat so much that the "unnatural" becomes NATURAL.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 10-01-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    Excellent post, it is impossible to classify one system as doing "only" one thing.

In any system of martial art, say delivering a punch.

In CLF, we have strikes where the hand leads the body, and strikes where the body leads the hand.

I would even go as far as to say it is erroneous to say that something either has the hands or body leading the other.

We must look at the human body as one unit and everything must work in cohesion, a complete frame or structure, everything function as parts of a single unit.
    you are infrazael on the other MA forum, right?

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    We don't agree. Opening distance NEVER provides more control. If you step back, you will be run over if your opponent is worth squat.
    I'd have to say again that I use the term retreat, it's in our basic literature and normally paired with toksau/munsau.

Sometimes, giving space is required to enable your opponent to make their own mistake. Like I said, it's a trapping mentality, I'm not suggesting that you give the fighter a free reign!

Have you used ideas like snake and crane in your training? Snakes don't retreat, but cranes do

And I do understand the notion of not retreating too, it is what chum kiu is for; standing your ground, but that's not the same as biu jee; darting in and out. I also coach this on the plum flower wooden man, how to enter, do the damage, and get out as quickly as possible. It's even indicated in the 108
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I'd have to say again that I use the term retreat, it's in our basic literature and normally paired with toksau/munsau.
    You can't retreat and use a tok sao (you won't have the body leverage to lift).

Mun sao isn't a technique (or shape) but a tactic of asking (to force the opponent to react to your action) and retreating isn't a wise way to do it (you can't force someone by backing away).

Sometimes, giving space is required to enable your opponent to make their own mistake. Like I said, it's a trapping mentality, I'm not suggesting that you give the fighter a free reign!
    To give up control so that your opponent MAY make a mistake is a poor tactic since your opponent may not make a mistake and instead take advantage of your lack of control.

Good WCK is based on control, poor and low-level WCK is based on avoidance.

Have you used ideas like snake and crane in your training? Snakes don't retreat, but cranes do
    I don't base what I do on animal-fantasy.

And I do understand the notion of not retreating too, it is what chum kiu is for;
    standing your ground,
    No, the chum kiu, as the name indicates, contains the aspects pertaining to how to break an opponent's structure with your bridges.

but that's not the same as biu jee; darting in and out.
    The biu jee is not concerned with darting in and out. Where do you get these ideas?

I also coach this on the plum flower wooden man, how to enter, do the damage, and get out as quickly as possible. It's even indicated in the 108
    I have no idea what the "plum flower wooden man" is. The muk yan jong is a learning device (and also not concerned with darting in and out).

WCK is an inside, close range fighting method, and its approach is controlling while striking -- ideally to get inside (enter), get control and while maintaining that control continually pound you. There is no "in and out" to it. If I go out, it means that I have failed.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    WCK is an inside, close range fighting method, and its approach is controlling while striking -- ideally to get inside (enter), get control and while maintaining that control continually pound you. There is no "in and out" to it. If I go out, it means that I have failed.
    Have to agree with Terrence here. Once you commit yourself you go all the way, if you cannot you have failed.
    Wether you can pick up the pieces and still win is another matter

So that would mean that EVERY fighter that has ever been fails to do their job numerous times throughout a fight. Because I don't believe there's a fighter out there that can accomplish this feat 100% of the time.

Looks like you guys are SOL then as far as achieving your goals.

So that would mean that EVERY fighter that has ever been fails to do their job numerous times throughout a fight. Because I don't believe there's a fighter out there that can accomplish this feat 100% of the time.

Looks like you guys are SOL then as far as achieving your goals.
    When have you ever met the perfect fighter ?

Usually its the guy doing the least mistakes that wins. If they are equally paired

The point is you guys are citing that "wing chun doesn't step back" and that "if you do then you're a failure." Or even broader that stepping back in a fight / disengaging regardless of "system" is also failure.

Then you concede that fighters aren't perfect and that stepping back is going to happen.

So then if you know that it's going to happen...why not learn to fight knowing the fact that it will happen? Why not learn tactics to fight WHILE in back step? Why not incorporate strategies and tactics that allow one to step back or disengage intelligently?

There are lot's of fighters that do it successfully and don't beat themselves up over it. Why? Because they're fighters. They fight. They understand the fight today dictates the rules not a 400 year old document of opinion.

There is nothing wrong with stepping back. It's a segment of defense. Always has been always will be. In my group we did a round robin of sparring last night, each of us fought every other person taking turns "being in the middle". Each of us stepped back, leaned away, sidestepped, covered, pressured, circled, got hit, gave hits, block hits. A couple guys got jacked pretty good with knees, some with kicks in the face, some with kicks to the body, some with kicks to the legs. It's all part of the game. Some folks got punched pretty good too.

The point is that disregarding a valid part of fighting due to preference doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that it's bad.
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 10-03-2010 at 10:18 AM.

I think the point in WCK of not stepping back is that it is not part of the strategic approach. There certainly is the idea of recovering center or position when you lose it. So I would say that the idea is not to give ground when you have it or to give up your center when you have it.