After recent discussions about fook sau and a thread I saw by Robert Chu relating to CLF’s hands leading their body and Hung Ga’s body leading their hands, I wanted to know what you guys thought of your wing chun and what is optimum striking for you.

For me, personally, I think that my body leads my hands, the majority of the time.

For example; a simple punch with no resistance would be done by my whole body stepping through the opponent. Contact would be made ideally with the elbow still at a fists distance from my body, then the arm would come forward... ordinarily driven by the hip.

Is this standard in wing chun? Am I right in believing this is body leading hands – I believe it is – but am willing to stand corrected...

And I don’t care for anyone to tell me that it isn’t ‘correct’ or ‘right’ for wing chun... this is the way I have been taught, by two entirely separate, but equally well respected lineages and this way works for me. No; not against world champions – but it does work against some decent Thai fighters and sparring with pals and amateur boxers too. It works enough that I trust my methods when it comes to it though.

Just a friendly discussion for everyone