Thread: Leg Catches

Blog Entries

Leg Catches

The kick can carry a lot of force. It's better to avoid the kick. Sometime you just can't get out of the way, and you have to catch it.

Try not to open this link if you don't have a good "anti virus" protection on your computer. If you "don't download anything" and "ignore all the warning", you should be OK. After I watched that clip, I immediately ran a full computer scan, my McAfee did not detect any virus on my computer at all.

Do you train "leg catches"? Please share your experience.

May be

- What to watch for when you try to catch your opponent's leg?
    - How many ways to catch a front kick, side, kick, round house kick, ...?
    - What do you do after you get hold of your opponent's leg?
    - How to counter a leg catch?
    - How to counter the counters of a leg catch?

http://www.movies.martialarm.com/vid...aching_Sanshou
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-27-2010 at 02:02 PM.

so, don't open it then?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

For a middle round house kick, place one hand above their knee the other behind their ankle, locks out the leg and completely nullifies the force of the kick. Then lock it in to your body and sweep. Works great if you can time their kick. If not you can take the kick and trap it against the body.

For a Low round house kick, sink, squat, bend down to catch their leg against your leg scooping under and pulling it up to your hip, and locking it in.

For a high round house block the head (hand on back of head) scoop under with other arm, sink, step in and turn placing their knee on your shoulder, then flip’em over. Never done it.

For Front kicks move to the side and scoop or knock them to the side and scoop. For Front kicks you can lift and do a Fair Lady Works the Shuttles (Yu Nu Chaun Suo) type movement to put them of their ass.

A counter, you have to put your weight over your leg, and sink your weight into that leg, they won’t be able to hold it up.

Sanda Notes: Leg Catch to Inner Leg Chop

Cung Le Teaches How to catch Kick For NAPMA

Cung Le Teaches How to Catch Kicks for NAPMA 2

Cung Le Teaches How to catch Kicks for NAPMA 3

Cung Le teaching 3

Sanda Leg Takedown

takedowns in sanda

Sanda: Heel Kick Catch and Throw
    Last edited by SanHeChuan; 09-27-2010 at 02:58 PM.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

we train in every angle so 8 step so we have a varitey of tech in this area. 2 that come to mind and the easiest is to assist the kick in the direction its going as ward off in taiji..... this cripples thier balance, we also have tech where you take the brunt of the kick as in a round house in the side of the arm, catch it warp your arm under it then power cut the knee with your other arm while falling into a crossing leg this circles the oppent to the ground rather effiectively.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Blog Entries
    The way Cung Le taught "leg catching" is very similiar to my approach. There are few minor difference.

I don't like to catch a front kick because most of the time, it's not a committed kick. My opponent can pull that front kick back so fast and I may fall into his trap. Also when my opponent delievers a front kick, both of his hands can reach me. I won't have "side door" advantage. To against a front kick, I like to "deflect" it and move into the "side door" position, and use my opponent's leading arm to jam his back arm.

- Cung Le likes to use the same side arm to protect his head, and to use the opposite side arm to catch the round house kick.
    - I like to use the opposite side arm to block my head, and use the same side arm to catch the kick.

From my experience, if the round house kick is too strong, I may not be able to block that kick by my same side arm. If I use the opposite side arm, I can add body rotation into it and that will make my block much stronger. Also if I can catch the kick with the same side arm, I can lift my opponent's leg over my shoulder, step forward, and throw my opponent backward. I don't even have to switch hands as Cung Le did in his clip.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-28-2010 at 11:28 AM.

I have found side kicks to be more difficult than front kicks, side kicks are easier to pull back in, pulling you closer to their hands and to get their weight back over their leg. Front kicks are harder to pull back because you need the flexibility to lift your leg higher. I prefer to side step and scoop under at the heel rather than Cung le’s step back method. It’s also easier to uproot a front kick.

One thing to do to keep your opponent from counter punching is to throw your own over hand right while trying to catch their kick, this will become a push and help you unbalance them for the sweep.

San Diego Kung Fu Sanda Shuai-chiao Mixed Martial Arts
    Last edited by SanHeChuan; 09-30-2010 at 06:40 AM.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE