Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What MMA did to Kung FU

watching people who don't run successful schools talking about how to run a successful school is always amusing to watch....

BTW, since 2009 there has been an average of 3 martial arts schools closing PER MONTH according to at least one industry source
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Yeah - wtf would I know about running a business... I mean I only run a successful multimedia company in the worst economy in the US in the worst state to do business in.
    You can see it here: http://www.JTV.tv

Anyway...

That type of placating attitude is what's killing TCMA for the alleged "MMAers" that continue to post on this forum. I say "alleged MMAers" because most of them still do kung fu (that's why they continue to post).

You know what I can't stand? I can't stand not being able to buy Kung Fu magazine at a regular news stand anymore yet on that same stand there's 4 different versions of MMA fan boy magazines. That's telling me there's something wrong in how we're presenting ourselves and it is more than just a MMA "Fad" issue.
    I'm not criticizing your business or your business model. What I am saying is that business models are not one size fits all.

Nice site btw.

As for print media, it is almost dead and the days of news stands will be a bygone with the ubiquity of smart devices and net savvy publishers.

print media never made money from subscriptions really and it is ad revenues that drive the business even now. subscription dependent print companies are having a really hard time staying afloat.

the internet killed the print business in many ways and is continuing to beat the crap out of it.

paid subscribers are very difficult to garner as well.

so, webvertising is hugely key and having a slick site with content people want is key.

KFM here is actually on the right track. I think that if they open up to more external advertising that doesn't interfere with the core business of selling merch, they will do quite well and possibly serve as a model for the industry in some respects.

If we look at the fitness or gym business, it has always had a really crap model upon which it is run.

Subscribe and use. There is no up selling really as much as there should be, or side offerings with extra costs and so on which is how it should be done.

many people are lazy though and just want the up front cash and are happy to lay that against the bottom line. But that means you have to keep milling people in and eventually you reach critical mass and cannot provide a decent place for your customers and they will leave because of that.

It's the up sells and side offerings that are key to a thriving fitness business.

Me personally, I don't run a school, but I will teach. I refuse to waste my time with people and therefore the time wasters drop away. I don't do it for money, I have a full time job that takes up my time for money. Kung Fu I love and I am willing to share what I have learned with anyone else that shows the desire for it.

I can tell you that if I did run a club it would have room for hippies and hard core and kids as well. Something for everyone on their schedule. I would also have a store in school, affiliate with publications such as this and sell all required items through the school store and offer items through promos.

It's not rocket science, but energy and time investment and real care is required. It is folly to wait for things to happen, you simply HAVE to make things happen. I'm sure you understand that as you are an entrepreneur yourself.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    watching people who don't run successful schools talking about how to run a successful school is always amusing to watch....

BTW, since 2009 there has been an average of 3 martial arts schools closing PER MONTH according to at least one industry source
    One thing that I've found is that all businesses run in essentially the same way. Regardless if they're an ice cream shop, clothing store, auto parts place, gym... doesn't matter.

Location matters. A definitive branding and marketing strategy (even more important if you don't have a good location), discipline, and a business plan with a vision statement. Cost control (if you can't measure it, you can't manage it), and a clear understanding of your inventory and how it relates to the bottom line. Diversification whenever possible (but always diversification has to ad value to your core business strategy). And- I didn't realize how powerful this is until the recession hit, but understanding your brand identity and living by it (this is a process, but can be defined simply as answering these questions "why are you in business, and why would somebody go to you over another? You then find a unique and own-able brand statement that can only be defined by you).

Using this strategy - I've not only ran a successful business locally, I've consulted several others into becoming stronger despite the economy. And.... (drum roll please) helped to start a martial arts club (since none of us want to do it full time) that's become the fastest growing martial arts organization in the area. We've had to move 3 times now to bigger locations because of student growth.

Could be gaayest thread, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I'm not criticizing your business or your business model. What I am saying is that business models are not one size fits all.

Nice site btw.

As for print media, it is almost dead and the days of news stands will be a bygone with the ubiquity of smart devices and net savvy publishers.

print media never made money from subscriptions really and it is ad revenues that drive the business even now. subscription dependent print companies are having a really hard time staying afloat.

the internet killed the print business in many ways and is continuing to beat the crap out of it.

paid subscribers are very difficult to garner as well.

so, webvertising is hugely key and having a slick site with content people want is key.

KFM here is actually on the right track. I think that if they open up to more external advertising that doesn't interfere with the core business of selling merch, they will do quite well and possibly serve as a model for the industry in some respects.

If we look at the fitness or gym business, it has always had a really crap model upon which it is run.

Subscribe and use. There is no up selling really as much as there should be, or side offerings with extra costs and so on which is how it should be done.

many people are lazy though and just want the up front cash and are happy to lay that against the bottom line. But that means you have to keep milling people in and eventually you reach critical mass and cannot provide a decent place for your customers and they will leave because of that.

It's the up sells and side offerings that are key to a thriving fitness business.

Me personally, I don't run a school, but I will teach. I refuse to waste my time with people and therefore the time wasters drop away. I don't do it for money, I have a full time job that takes up my time for money. Kung Fu I love and I am willing to share what I have learned with anyone else that shows the desire for it.

I can tell you that if I did run a club it would have room for hippies and hard core and kids as well. Something for everyone on their schedule. I would also have a store in school, affiliate with publications such as this and sell all required items through the school store and offer items through promos.

It's not rocket science, but energy and time investment and real care is required. It is folly to wait for things to happen, you simply HAVE to make things happen. I'm sure you understand that as you are an entrepreneur yourself.
    I like this... I wasn't getting where you were coming from before. I guess we think a like.

I was just trying to make the point that we as a community are making the bed that we sleep in, and it's possible to change it, but it'd be hard. That's why I don't mind all of the MMA talk on KFM. And- for the most part, I don't think they're MMAers really, I think their hearts are still in to Kung Fu, they're just dissatisfied with how kung fu is portrayed to the rest of the world.

and lkfmdc, I think you're one of the few that's doing everything right.

gayer...gayer....gaaaayyyyyer.

It's getting there. needs work but soon this thread will be totally gay.

Kung Fu is good for you.

gayer...gayer....gaaaayyyyyer.

It's getting there. needs work but soon this thread will be totally gay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpceOOk2zog

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    my issue with rolling is not the ubiquity of gay guys that are into it, but the freaking low level of hygiene I have consistently encountered when trying it at regular gyms.

It's atrocious and to find a club with high standards is difficult to say the least. I live in a city of millions and there are only a few clubs that fit the desirable level of hygiene +instructional quality here. And they are too expensive to have my interest really. Plus, in all honesty, I'm not really into it in a big way.

Not saying they aren't out there, but the BJJ with added MRSA is all to freaking common.

It's a drag really, but, that's how it goes I guess.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

but the BJJ with added MRSA is all to freaking common.
    Wait, MRSA is common at BJJ schools?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Hell yes. In all sport schools, actually, but prevalent in BJJ the most.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Uh, where have you been? lol

let me google that for you

Kung Fu is good for you.

Defense Soap will be your friend.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Defense Soap will be your friend.
    Bleach sprayed Mats and a clean freak proprietor will be your friend as well.
    Kung Fu is good for you.