Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What MMA did to Kung FU

Quote Originally Posted by dimethylsea View Post
    1. "magic hubud"/tapping/back-and-forth for flow and reactivity,
    The best method for flow and reactivity is to do the same types of movements you will do for real. You rarely see any kind of hubud type movements when going full out. What you do see is clinch work.

target hitting and test-cutting (to REALLY figure out what you can do with a sharp thingie) are all good stuff.
    How many times have you practiced stabbing something that resembles the body with various types of clothing on it and then measured the penetration? If you haven't, you probably don't have the best idea of what you can realistically do. You'd be surprised at how knife blades can get caught up in clothing, especially when you are trying to do the old fantasy cut and slice.

I am NOT impressed by people who think the gold path to FMA skill is free-on sparring. You need way more than a scrum to get good.
    It's not the gold path, but it sure is a large part of it.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 09-29-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dimethylsea View Post
    It's worth noting that FMA didn't need much in the way of "test cutting" when people worked on farms clearing brush with their bolos and actually USING the sharps daily.
    BTW, speaking of test cutting, just because someone is a FMA "master" doesn't mean he isn't delusional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlybP...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    BTW, speaking of test cutting, just because someone is a FMA "master" doesn't mean he isn't delusional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlybP...eature=related
    He tried to do that trick that so many sword guys do that is to strike with a curved blade, which TENDS to only cut on the pull, and it backfired on his ass.
    LOL !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Sure it does, I've fought MMA/VT in which the ONLY rule was Obey the ref, when he says stop, you stop.
    I've also fought were there were no rules and had guys try to bite, eye gouge, kick and even bite the groin, LOL !
    And what works in MMA NOW, was what worked then VS those types.
    And I am NOT alone in that observation.

Sure MMA has more rules NOW, but just walk into ANY MMA gym or BJJ school and drop a challenge for no rules and you will find a willing partner for your experiments.
    \
    word... as far as empty hand one on one combat, these hybrids created for mma are taking the lead... basics and a serious work ethic gets you pretty far...

you have guys who can stand with you and dance outside then come in swinging, you react and they change levels on you so fast you dont even know youre going down untill youre down there... and then what...

and standup in mma is evolved to a point where it guards those levels and that fact changes when and how you can commit... if you dont get that, you go down... not to mention the standup of some mma cats is wold class in its own right alot of the time...

i love tcma, dont get me wrong, but it is not the end all complete answer for any one on one empty hand combative situation... some people believe it is and are too offended when others disagree...

its all good, we can talk about this right???

If someone comes along and points out a better way of doing something and proves it, why would ANYONE be offended by it or not use it?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If someone comes along and points out a better way of doing something and proves it, why would ANYONE be offended by it or not use it?
    Because it threatens their belief system. No different than the BJJ guys who think that striking and takedowns are over-rated.

kung fu can exist because north americans live in state of perpetual childhood. when they refer to kung fu is "playing the form" "kung fu player".
    kung fu people come to play like children. thats why they will never want to fight EVER. fighting drives fear into hearts of people like them.
    passive aggresive north americans with revenge fantasies are asking to be taken advantage of.
    Last edited by bawang; 09-29-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Because it threatens their belief system. No different than the BJJ guys who think that striking and takedowns are over-rated.
    as a general rule, people have trouble wrapping their minds around the many possible things that can happen in a fight/MMA

people always want the "magic bullet" - they ask "are punches better than kicks" or "is grappling better than striking"

I guess it might be a defense mechanism, avoiding the reality that to "fight" you have so much to learn and must use your brains and strategy...
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

what did mma do to kungfu?

it held kungfu down and gave the love by force, then it told kungfu it had a pretty mouth.

but kungfu does have a pretty mouth, and also a lot of love to share.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

iron eagle,
    If someone is practicing forms for the sole reason of enjoyment and exercise, and know and are told by their instructor that these are not beneficial for martial and fighting skill, that is one thing. Totally different when they are sold a load of BS about secret techniques and doing forms alone making them able to competently fight or defend themselves. That is where the line needs to be drawn.
    agreed, however this thread as well as alot of people on here, sound they joined a TCMA school and got taken advantage of, or been lied to.
    Thats too bad but to make sweeping genralizations is just plain silly.

like the kids who ask who will win a fight a boxer or a wreslter.. these are really stupid questions.

and know and are told by their instructor that these are not beneficial for martial and fighting skill, that is one thing.

however I gotta disagree here though because learning a form and pratcing its actual applications as well as improving your endurance, speed, agility, timing, hand eye cordination, balance and foundation ARE beneficial for martial and fighting skill.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    sorry, but that is asinine.
    Learn the move, practice it with graduating levels of resistance, THEN, learn the form. What you said is a competely backwards method of teaching Gung-Fu.
    Be as it may, what he said is exactly what 99% of kung fu schools do

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    however I gotta disagree here though because learning a form and pratcing its actual applications as well as improving your endurance, speed, agility, timing, hand eye cordination, balance and foundation ARE beneficial for martial and fighting skill.
    No they aren't. And this is a perfect demonstration of how TMA's are still ripping people off.

No they aren't. And this is a perfect demonstration of how TMA's are still ripping people off.
    really.

how do you do drills? how do you show structure? how do you teach body balance as applicable to martial arts?

I think you got your blinders on again.

forms are part of training in chinese martial arts, whether you like it or not and regardless of your opinion.

they are not the be all and end all, but they don't lack value overall.

besides, they look cooler than ground hugs for 15 minutes before choking someone out.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

a lot chinese kung fu people arent willing to accept mma because they think its a race thing. i dont get why the white ppls are clinging to kung fu i dont see any reason

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

soco,
    Be as it may, what he said is exactly what 99% of kung fu schools do
    come one really dude? you have visited 99% of the kung fu schools in north America? or just the world... sometimes its better to stick to the facts when you say things, its makes for a better discussion.

David J, when ignorant people like this guy say absolutly ubsurd things like this.......
    to my repsonse to iron eagle was
    why do you even bother to reply? its like arguing with a 2 year old, hit the ignore button, is he really worth even responding too?
    If ANYONE out here doesnt think that training, endurance, speed, agility, timing, hand eye cordination, balance and foundation ARE beneficial for martial and fighting skill, they need to take up cooking lessons and get the Fukc off this board.
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 09-29-2010 at 01:06 PM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."