Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stick Forms Training

Well I wouldn't call it imminent (adjective: close in time; about to occur); I would call it a significant risk instead.

You are right it is definitely a "risk vs. reward" situation.

Btw, up until this point I have been ignoring all of the "fun-spirited jabs" and want to make the following point:

If a person has knowledge of a martial art, that knowledge can be used to facilitate new learning and expansion into different related areas.

Carry on.
    Last edited by Reyth; 09-29-2010 at 09:41 PM.

ok, i cannot provide a translation.

i dont know what you know but personally, if i had sticks and someone had a gun, you have basically two main scenarios;

you are out of range, or in range.

if you are out of range you either; run, comply, charge or take cover if possible. thats all you have.

now this is just me personally, but if someone pulls a gun on me and I am within physical range, and if I actually plan or was forced to engage someone weilding a firearm, i would not use sticks.

you will not already have your sticks out, and if you do thats a pretty strange scenario, again if in range, drop the **** sticks.

if you are going to engage someone with a firearm, your primary concern is isolating and controling that weapon. the likely hood of you attacking someone with strikes from a stick when they have a gun and disarming them/disabling them is very low. again if you actually plan on fighting someone who pulls a gun, you must close the distance, and control the firearm immediately, thats up to you if you can control the persons limb, and if you know how and what to do depending on what type of gun they have...

okay but seriously though, why not a knife? is it legal ramifications based on where you will be, if you caught with a blade will you get arrested? or is it something else. if you cant bring a gun to a gun fight, at least bring a knife and try to stab a futher mucker.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

As far as I am concerned I consider the sticks to be more effective than a knife (greater range and just as deadly/disabling).

I guess there are several potential scenarios and the ones I am interested in would revolve around the stick vs. gun disarm techniques which DO exist.

Thanks for your post btw, it is getting me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyth View Post
    As far as I am concerned I consider the sticks to be more effective than a knife (greater range and just as deadly/disabling).

I guess there are several potential scenarios and the ones I am interested in would revolve around the stick vs. gun disarm techniques which DO exist.

Thanks for your post btw, it is getting me thinking.
    oh they exist... they just might get you shot... better off trying if you gonna get shot anyways tho...

My thought exactly. Thankfully, the chances of seeing a gun should be remote.

EDIT: Just starting training "Heaven & Earth" too.

EDIT: So far training:

1) Heaven 6
    2) Heaven & Earth
    3) Heaven with scissors
    4) Ninja 6
    Last edited by Reyth; 10-01-2010 at 06:53 AM.

You're going to mexico aren't you?

Very good guess! I hope to go to Mexico one day but that is not the country I am going to...

Boy I'm glad I'm training now -- my arms and shoulders are aching. I didn't realize it takes muscle power to whip those steel sticks around...
    Last edited by Reyth; 10-02-2010 at 03:26 AM.

i recommend K-Y® INTENSE™

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Reyth View Post
    My thought exactly. Thankfully, the chances of seeing a gun should be remote.

EDIT: Just starting training "Heaven & Earth" too.

EDIT: So far training:

1) Heaven 6
    2) Heaven & Earth
    3) Heaven with scissors
    4) Ninja 6
    when u hav graduated to the more advanced Running With Scissors, post some vids;

also, it's not Ninja 6, it's Ninja 7; you better stop now as incorrect practice will cause your Spleen to invest in a shady real estate deal...

muzt be the middle east, no worries mate my boy lives in afganastan, and its nothing like the news says it is, its much safer the news like to scare people
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    when u hav graduated to the more advanced Running With Scissors, post some vids;

also, it's not Ninja 6, it's Ninja 7; you better stop now as incorrect practice will cause your Spleen to invest in a shady real estate deal...
    Thanks for the invite. After my vacation I will be buying a webcam and will be making some vids for my friend who used to be a Karate instructor. I was thinking of posting the vids here too.

The forms I am training are here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDSDdtLv3u4

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    muzt be the middle east, no worries mate my boy lives in afganastan, and its nothing like the news says it is, its much safer the news like to scare people
    Thanks. Well, I am visting a friend and they told me its not safe and that I am a natural target because I am an American. There are also fanatical Muslims there and if THEY target me (doubtful), I will be facing at least one gun. At that point I will just force them to shoot me.
    Last edited by Reyth; 10-02-2010 at 08:50 AM.

reyth,
    well it depends on exactly where you are. There are some towns not even afgans go, but dont beleive the hype.
    M my dear friend is doing work for the UN and goes out all the time even at night and has no worries about being kidnapped or targeted o ANY thing like that.

You must BE somebody important for them to even bother to take that risk, ie a high profile political person, military personel.... along that line.

As I said my friend works for the UN and is in no danger, the news will always show the bad stuff and scare you, its what the media thrives on.

Have fun enjoy your time just dont look at the women, they do frown on that, most are covered by blue burkas anyways
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 10-02-2010 at 07:57 AM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Thanks. Its not a Muslim country but there is a subversive element there but even so, the chances of encountering THEM would be slim.

UPDATE: New video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9qrvkD1yfU&NR=1

This is an excellent technique video for the empty hand (one stick).

there is no magic solution to any sort of violent encounter.

If you ahven't been training these for a while and don't fully grasp their use, there really is no point in starting now with such short notice.

you'll just be provocative walking around with an exposed weapon.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    you'll just be provocative walking around with an exposed weapon.
    that's how thes wimins likeses its....