Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats Up Kungfu Online Brothers & Sisters...???

Thanks, Gene!

Actually, I've belonged to only one other forum as long as this one, bladeforums (under another screen name), since 1998 or 1999. It's the largest Internet forum I've ever been on. A LOT of members there would have noticed!

My main EDC (everyday carry) knife is normally a Spyderco Military or a Paramilitary 2, depending on where I'm going or what I'll be needing it for. Occasionally I'll switch out the Spyderco for my Chris Reeve Insingo. Sometimes I also carry a multi-tool, a Victorinox Swisstool Spirit, in a holster on my belt.

Luv Spyderco too. Any knife person is good by me!

I had a Spyderco clip some time ago but I lost it. Left it in a body I suppose. Talk about your great one-hand openers.

I have a few Victorinoxs. I used to be really into those but have forsaken them for Leatherman. It's all about the pliers. For some reason, I seem to need pliers a lot. I tried the Gerber multitool with pliers which I like but they just felt too chunky for a day-to-day use. I do like Gerber tho and have a dagger or too, but those aren't street knives by any means.

Chris Reeve is a little beyond my price range. Sweet blades tho. Much Respect!

I was big into knives in my college daze, but never really collected them. As a former sword salesman (well, I still sell swords on occasion, but not like before) I went to a lot of knife shows. Personally, I've always been more into cheap throwaway knives...cuz you never know when you have to leave one in a body...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene,

Leatherman tools are great! Glad that you're a fellow knife/tool guy!

My Victorinox Spirit is actually closer in shape/setup to a Leatherman, in that it's a pliers-based multi-tool. The other tools on it are like a SAK's, but on steroids. I used Leathermans in the past, but several years ago settled on the Spirit. I like that I can open the tools from the outside, and they don't all clump together when I want to pull out one of the tools. Its pliers aren't quite as needlenosed as those on a Leatherman, but are solid and work well for me. I also like that the handles on this one bow outwards for greater comfort, and it's lighter than many multi-tools.

I'm only a knife nibbler nowadays.

I've looked at some of the Victorinox multi-tools. That bow in the handle that surely provides more torque but don't seem to me to lie as flat and I like that compactness most of all. I suppose I'm a bit of a classicalist when it comes to that brand so I only have the old school pocket knives, the ones with the toothpick, tweezers and signature plastic handle cover. That's just because I only have ones from maybe 30 years ago. Nowadays I don't care for plastic handles like those. I suppose it's a retro thang.

I'm pretty loyal to Leatherman now, mostly because I've used them for so long. I love the keychain Micra. It's very useful for my day-to-day needs.

Funny you should bring this up now because I've been thinking I need a new blade. My Skeletool has great sentimental value as I mentioned above and it serves me well here at the office where the knife demands are pretty minimal (cutting a lot of boxes and occasionally tightening screws, plus the always useful bottle opener). But I've been thinking a nice folder that I can open quickly with one hand would be nice. Xmas coming up, after all. I've been looking at the Spydercos actually. I like their ruggedness. Any suggestions?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Funny you should bring this up now because I've been thinking I need a new blade. My Skeletool has great sentimental value as I mentioned above and it serves me well here at the office where the knife demands are pretty minimal (cutting a lot of boxes and occasionally tightening screws, plus the always useful bottle opener). But I've been thinking a nice folder that I can open quickly with one hand would be nice. Xmas coming up, after all. I've been looking at the Spydercos actually. I like their ruggedness. Any suggestions?
    That would depend on what your budget is, as well as other factors, such as city knife laws. I've heard that the City of San Francisco (if you go there often) has a blade length limit of 3". Which might matter if you carry it with the clip visible. A good, basic all-around small (but not too small) folder is the Delica. The all-stainless (handle and all) version is more rugged. Or a standard Delica 4 FFG (full flat ground), which makes a superior cutter, but the blade is thinner and a little less 'tough'. You wouldn't want to pry or twist with it. Either can be had for around $60-plus through an approved online seller, like bladehq.com, knifeworks.com, or newgraham.com. I do NOT recommend buying a Spyderco through Amazon or eBay or whatever. I have no connection to those sites, but I have had excellent service with them.

Sixty-plus dollars may sound like a lot, or it may sound reasonable. I do believe you get what you pay for. Actually, $60+ dollars isn't a lot for a good knife with good steel.

I also resharpen my own blades with a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Easy as pie to use with most blades.

I could recommend other models if the Delica's not your cup of tea. There are definitely "nicer" ones, but the Delica is a good, basic one.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-12-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Thanks Jimbo

I was looking at something like those Delicas. I'm okay with a $60 blade. It's when they start getting past 3 digits, I hesitate.

I never buy blades online. I like to interact with vendors at gun/knife shows.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips