Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA website

Quote Originally Posted by Reyth View Post
    I would like to see a video of a MMA fighter doing the usual "bum's rush" on a MA fighter and getting knocked to the floor with a vicious front kick. I'm really tired of seeing the videos over and over where this doesn't happen...
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

The standard move is where the MMA guy puts his head down, clinches the MA guy and forces him to the ground and just sits on him. Its a "bum's rush" move and it should be stopped hard and cold but I never see that...

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    sny7

perhaps your right sny, I'm making too big of a sweeping assumption here. Theres winners and loosers in every walk of life.
    forsure... and in rugby when we scored, or won, we celebrated... ****y sometimes but mainly happy... after scoring i would look like the guy at the top of the cage saying WHAT! and it wasnt a bad thing if it didnt go much further... i always celebrated when i won wrestling matches... i'd shake their hand and stuff, but i was happy as hell for myself and showed it... stone faced monk is for monks, not those of us that partake in the rest of the world... monks are cool, but its not for everyone...

competition is okay... aggression is okay and winning isnt disrespectful... being a ******* about is, but celebrating is cool...

i had some really good mentors from wrestling and it kept me out of trouble, for awhile anyways... my sifu is a really nice guy and i'm always respectful around him, no matter what... a check my mouth more than i would anywhere else becoz of that ingrained respect thing in tcma, so its a strong force... people who dont get it, well, they just dont get it... its a different world... i dont act the way i do in bjj the way i do in bak mei... just running with the heards, following suit... im there to train, not politik... thats what kfm is for

Quote Originally Posted by Reyth View Post
    The standard move is where the MMA guy puts his head down, clinches the MA guy and forces him to the ground and just sits on him. Its a "bum's rush" move and it should be stopped hard and cold but I never see that...
    its alot harder, to counter a good shot, than some people seem to think... let alone stopping them dead in their tracks... it happens, but more often than not the grappler gets the clinch on the cage at the very least... it comes hard and fast and if they are good, you think youre being punched when they drop levels on you... if you wanna stuff takedowns, you have to train with guys that have good takedowns... bottom line... padwork just wont cut it, its not the same... grapplers are generally alot stronger than their strinking counterparts... pushing weight like that has its rewards... you cant simulate that, you just gotta spar with em to be able to avoid it and defend it...

yes stopping good shots are not easy by any means especially when you can set your takedowns up with punches and what not

i remember sparring with a smaller amateur fighter who had a wrestling bakround and even he was hard to stop despite the size difference

we were working stand up with takedowns and i only stopped one out of every shot he did.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

I see takedown attempts stopped all the time (well, not all the time... that's a bit of an over-statement)...

However, it is usually a good, strong, stiff knee to the face that stuffs the takedown attempt; not usually a front kick though.

But, like all things in life... first you must train it, then you must have excellent timing; and a little bit of good luck on your side doesn't hurt either.

Surritt Bros. Kung-Fu San Soo
    P.O. Box 4533
    Salem, OR
    97302-8533
    (503) 508-1117

Well the lack of video evidence of it is somewhat disturbing.

A far as training it, it would seem to me to be kind of dangerous because a full head shot is required at close range; if I was sparring someone, I would be concerned about hurting them... The clincher really puts themselves in a dangerous situation that requires their opponent to respond with potentially lethal force.

Good point about the knee; if the range is too short for the full kick, go to the knee...

Excellent posts about this. Thanks.
    Last edited by Reyth; 10-03-2010 at 08:37 PM.

What are the Muay Thai guys doing when they're up against a grappler? If you allow a wrestler to get a hold on, isn't that the last thing a boxer (Western or otherwise) should let take place. I mean, in the movies the hero will get loose, but not in reality. Most likely choked out like taking on a hungry python.

Here's a vid I located that shows how a boxer understands the intent of an opponent that is a grappler. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ0HC...eature=related

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by San Soo Sifu View Post
    However, it is usually a good, strong, stiff knee to the face that stuffs the takedown attempt; not usually a front kick though.
    If you always run your shin bone into your opponent's front leg before your single/double legs, you can avoid his knee.

I think the "foot sweep" is less risky than the leg/legs shooting. It won't put you in risk if your "foot sweep" fail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwS0aPedoEo
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-03-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    where did i say it was awsome or the best, i said i go to learn a skill set and that respect is earned through competition and loss, please show me where i said anything about it being the best etc? I simply got p*ssed at someone saying TCMA teachs respect etc though the bowing etc and that grapplers dont respect their coach or is somehow less fulfilling spiritually, is that ok?

Combat invloves much more you are right, and where did i say MMA was the be all and end all for combat? I have said over and over if you dont look like how you train when you fight there is something wrong, and that if you cant handle getting hit in a sporting context you probably wont handle it on the strret, would you agree with that?
    I must have misread something somewhere. Oh well. Story of my life.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Here's a vid I located that shows how a boxer understands the intent of an opponent that is a grappler. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ0HC...eature=related
    Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! That exposed head just took a THUMPING!

Its like he just offered his head on a silver platter and said "hit me please!"

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you always run your shin bone into your opponent's front leg before your single/double legs, you can avoid his knee.

I think the "foot sweep" is less risky than the leg/legs shooting. It won't put you in risk if your "foot sweep" fail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwS0aPedoEo
    Very nice technique! Extremely subtle.

If the head is in the right range one can attempt a palm strike or a gao choi (similar to hammer fist), using vibrating and soft power whole body power, respectively.

Interesting. Like a hammer fist to the temple?