Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Serious Discussion about the Argument.

you either get it, or you don't.

end of story.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i practice the martial arts so i can feed the animals
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

I practice Kung Fu because of three things:

1.) 90% of my friends think i look like Bruce Lee

2.) Street Fighter is an awesome franchise

3.) To master the mind, body, and spirit.

I forgot to mention, If I'm a little person with strong family ties to magicians, psychics, and other circus folk, I'll troll the internet while smoking cigars with the young carnies and telling them about the good old days porking Margaret Hamilton from a step ladder on the set of Wizard of Oz.
    LOL not thats funny
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    It's worth noting that Bullshido implemented a tag to show fight experience because most of the loudest, most obnoxious anti-tma folk were backing out of challenges because they were actually completely unqualified martial artists and were making challenges with potential psychos.

It's also worth pointing out that if I have a problem with the course of kung fu, and I'm a kung fu guy, the solution is not me telling you what to do, but to not only reform my line, but share those reforms. Until we see books, articles, and websites from myself, MightyB, Masterkiller, Lucas, Drake, Dragonzbane, et al, that give useful info backed by usage, the solution is not me telling them to do it for me.

And if my style is, say, choy li fut, and there is not one example of someone using choi li fut throwing methodology online, while there is of chen style and SC and Chang style, I should not run around talking about how, based on choi li fut, throwing in cma is not practiced.

Further, if I went to one school, or solely attended kung fu tournament based schools, or in some other way failed to do research, I'll not assume others didn't.

If my kung fu teacher said weights were bad, I'll try not to forget that Wai Lun Choi's guys used weights in training all the time.

I had five ma teachers in my life, one Japanese, he was a nice guy and taught well enough and made no claims, one American and a nutcase doing a *******ized version of tang soo doe who talked about how bad everyone else was, and three kung fu teachers. The best of those kung fu teachers never bad mouthed other styles, fought sanshou in his youth, and considered sparring a standard part of training for those who wanted to do that, as well as actually having trained in a lot of styles including muay thai. The next best liked to train boxing and bjj as well, and had nothing against weights or modern training methods, and advocated sparring, though grew in his ability to coach it.

If this does not match your experience, then I don't care if you claim that everyone says they found the real deal, I flat out did better than you, whether through luck or, in most cases, design, so you might be better not generalizing your experiences to me, and I won't pretend ground fighting doesn't matter, mkay?
    This is way too rational, it will never work here! All jokes aside, great post. There are always going to be assumptions made on here, many of which are ignorant and unfounded, but it is the internet after all. You were fortunate to have the instructors you did, many are not. Sometimes I think this is where the bad mouthing comes into play. No one wants to admit they spent ten years of their life training in a poor system, I know because I spent two years training in a poor Karate McDojo. The one good thing I got from it was I appreciated the good instructors I had in Pai Lum, Muay Thai, and Boxing. They were all competent instructors, all had fought in their younger days, and all taught that learning different systems or styles was beneficial to one's growth in the martial arts.

That being said, I always wondered if people would be so brash if we were all in the same room together instead of behind a computer screen. Makes you think.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

I spent seven years in a bad system where we were told(as long as we were one of them) that we were the uber deadly and superior to normal folk.

The best solution to running around telling everyone you have the answer to all problems is usually not running around telling people you have the answer to all problems. Countering tma cultishness with mma cultishness is not doing any favors for anyone. Being socially capable is the height of human self defense, to undermine that by teaching people to treat others like they are less sophisticated or healthy(as some sifus do) or undermining that by teaching people that they can be db'ish based on other people having wrong assumptions(when everyone has wrong assumptions) is a terrible disservice to one's students as people.

I will not cease this rationality without the intervention of pics! And NOT MK pics, his disturb the force.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Countering tma cultishness with mma cultishness is not doing any favors for anyone. Being socially capable is the height of human self defense, to undermine that by teaching people to treat others like they are less sophisticated or healthy(as some sifus do) or undermining that by teaching people that they can be db'ish based on other people having wrong assumptions(when everyone has wrong assumptions) is a terrible disservice to one's students as people.
    agree with you. both sides have there douchbags for sure. My thoughts are if your a teacher then you should let you student grow and not force thoughts on them and let them make the decisions themselves.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    agree with you. both sides have there douchbags for sure. My thoughts are if your a teacher then you should let you student grow and not force thoughts on them and let them make the decisions themselves.
    Even when they're hot babes with daddy issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows
    The best solution to running around telling everyone you have the answer to all problems is usually not running around telling people you have the answer to all problems. Countering tma cultishness with mma cultishness is not doing any favors for anyone. Being socially capable is the height of human self defense, to undermine that by teaching people to treat others like they are less sophisticated or healthy(as some sifus do) or undermining that by teaching people that they can be db'ish based on other people having wrong assumptions(when everyone has wrong assumptions) is a terrible disservice to one's students as people.
    Both of you are scaring me with your civility and rationality of these posts. Would the real Dragonzbane and KC Elbows please stand up?

I'd teach you my posting method, but you could never get good at it. Too slow from weight training.

My Tai Chi instructor also taught Kung Fu. He called the Kung Fu "hot style" and the Tai Chi "cool style".

I got the distinct impression that the key and underlying power of the hot style really originates from the cool style; i.e. the secret power underlying Kung Fu is Tai Chi. He actually stated that he taught Kung Fu to make money (because of popular interest) but Tai Chi was his core art. The funny thing is that he built a reputation as a master Kung Fu practitioner and nobody knew he actually did Tai Chi!

He pointed out the difficulty of both styles:

A) The cool style requires total relaxation to allow the power to be expressed; short of that you are using the "hot style" energy which will be compromised. This is very hard to do in a combat situation.

B) The hot style requires a high level of agressiveness to "blow out" your opponent, otherwise you get overcome.

I think there are many videos of MA practitioners being overcome by MMA followers. I am curious to see examples of MMA being overcome by proper excution of MA...

Does anyone have video links of this?
    Last edited by Reyth; 10-02-2010 at 09:43 AM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Both of you are scaring me with your civility and rationality of these posts. Would the real Dragonzbane and KC Elbows please stand up?
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    i practice the martial arts so i can feed the animals
    There is something to this. One of my students (the senior girl in the class) says she does bagua "to feed her alligators".

This is an allusion to something the horror writer Stephen King said in an essay..

"The mythic horror movie, like the sick joke, has a dirty job to do. It deliberately appeals to all
    that is worst in us. It is morbidity unchained, our most base instincts let free, our nastiest fantasies realized . . . and it all happens, fittingly enough, in the dark. For those reasons, good liberals often shy away from horror films. For myself, I like to see the most aggressive of them – Dawn of the Dead, for instance – as lifting a trap door in the civilized forebrain and throwing a basket of raw meat to the hungry alligators swimming around in that subterranean river beneath.

Why bother? Because it keeps them from getting out, man. It keeps them down there and me up here. It was Lennon and McCartney who said that all you need is love, and I would agree with that.

As long as you keep the gators fed. "
    "The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I say let it be man - just let it be. MA means something different to everybody. I like a good workout and a competitive environment to relieve stress. Some people like meditation and choreographed movements to relieve stress.
    yes let it be or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9SgDoypXcI

hwat wil be will be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ltYApM_tk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8OB9EpS6zA

I think it's time for another serious argument about the discussion.
    Kung Fu is good for you.