Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ten Elements Of Choy Lay Fut

The Ten Elements Of Choy Lay Fut

The Ten Elements of Choy Lay Fut

The Choy Lay Fut system utilizes what is dubbed the "ten elements" to form the basis for its devastating striking techniques. Each element has unique characteristics and methods of use. It is these ten elements that make up the basis of Choy Lay Fut's techniques. Variations of these elements can be found in every empty hand form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuTBbKucwdI
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Nice demo.

nospam.
    佛家

Awesome but please...

NO MORE WONG FEI HONG MUSIC.

I can't stand this song anymore, and ffs I am Chinese.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Blog Entries
    yeah i agree. use some rock, hip hop, jazz, but PLEASE stop using the chinese music that is so overly used. every time i watch a gung fu video that dammmm music is being played.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    yeah i agree. use some rock, hip hop, jazz, but PLEASE stop using the chinese music that is so overly used. every time i watch a gung fu video that dammmm music is being played.
    I also hate the canto "Choy Lay Fut" song the Chan guys use in all of their videos.

sounds just as annoying as Wong Fei Hong song.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Blog Entries
    im sticking to what im known for brother. hip hop all day everyday. i choose the songs the make the feel of my video's.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

This sh1t is superior to Wong Fei Hong music.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Good video!!
    This is, in my opinion, another great explanation about 10 elements by Shifu Wong Chi Yuen,
    http://choylayfut-hk.com/eng/home.html
    I hope will contribuite to the thread.

SY

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    The Ten Elements of Choy Lay Fut

The Choy Lay Fut system utilizes what is dubbed the "ten elements" to form the basis for its devastating striking techniques. Each element has unique characteristics and methods of use. It is these ten elements that make up the basis of Choy Lay Fut's techniques. Variations of these elements can be found in every empty hand form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuTBbKucwdI
    I am sure you have an explanation, but I think in the video, the first two elements, Kum and Na are not done correctly. The Kum is more like a Dang Jab while the Na is more like a Bil Gi. The intention of Kum Na is to deflect, catch, grab and retaliate but they are not showed in the exercise I am afraid.

No disrespect is intended, it is just my humble opinion for the sake of discussions.
    Last edited by extrajoseph; 10-04-2010 at 04:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by extrajoseph View Post
    I am sure you have an explanation, but I think in the video, the first two elements, Kum and Na are not done correctly. The Kum is more like a Dang Jab while the Na is more like a Bil Gi. The intention of Kum Na is to deflect, catch, grab and retaliate but they are not showed in the exercise I am afraid.

No disrespect is intended, it is just my humble opinion for the sake of discussions.
    Shaolindynasty will have a better explanation than I, but I can try to explain.

Kum Jeong is covering palm, see this application:
    http://www.ngfamilymartialarts.com/i...s/10el_kum.jpg
    It's a slapping palm deflection in its application, even though in the air it seems like a pushing strike. But even in the palm deflection, there's still a punishing quality to it, it's not the run of the mill "slap-block".

For Na, or Chuen La, it is piercing through-uprooting-deflecting, as seen in this application:
    http://www.ngfamilymartialarts.com/i...ts/10el_na.jpg
    It may appear as a Bil Jee strike, but it's more about the forearm rotation for the deflection. I've noticed a lot of different hand shapes for Chuen La in different lineages of CLF, but the application was all the same.

XJ - you mentioned awhile back that everyone has a misconception of the 10 Elements/Seeds, and that you have a very different conception of what the 10 Elements are. Any ideas about how the 10 Elements you know turned into the 10 Elements you see in a lot of the other lineages?

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Blog Entries
    sorry SD,

But, EXTRAJOSEPH, you are completely FULL OF SH!T!!!!!!! I saw you on the forum looking at the thread. I guess you view yourself very highly to feel you never have to answer anyone's questions. i can see you feel we all must listen to you. now thats funny cause the people on the forum are recognizing the fact that you are very biased and your only mission is to spread DISINFORMATION to try and keep your Chan Yiu Chi ahead of everyone.

you're a joke.

I was feeling that music at the time

extrajoesph

These are commonly practiced variations by our school of the concepts of the 10 elements. For the most part yutyeesam's explanation is correct.

Kum is meant as a deflection.

As far as the element shown as Na. It's short for Chuen Na which actually consists of 2 parts the uprooting shooting arm bridge (chuen) and the controlling/grabbing aspect (na).
    Last edited by Shaolindynasty; 10-04-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Is that you in the video?

nospam.
    佛家

yes it is me in the video