Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Mats

Purchasing Mats

Looking for a good set of mats reasonably priced for my new school, found these online and was wondering if anyone uses them or knows anything about them:

http://www.realjitsuacademy.com/mats.html

They are decently priced but being how thin they are (I read somewhere 5/8 or 1/2 inch thick) I don't think they would be good for throws and takedowns, even though the website claims they are. Anyway, if anyone has experience with these I would appreciate your opinions on them.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

I would stay away from these cheap mats, they are very thin and have no shock absorbtion for falling, even controled falling, and they dont last too long.
    I contacted a bunch of high school and colleages in my area and asked about purchasing old wrestling mats......................many a calls did I make, so be prepared but then the director of P.E called me from a college and dontated one to my school, its beautiful 30x30 and free! try that route first.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    I would stay away from these cheap mats, they are very thin and have no shock absorbtion for falling, even controled falling, and they dont last too long.
    I contacted a bunch of high school and colleages in my area and asked about purchasing old wrestling mats......................many a calls did I make, so be prepared but then the director of P.E called me from a college and dontated one to my school, its beautiful 30x30 and free! try that route first.
    Already have, none of the schools or colleges in my area have any to donate, believe that would be my first choice.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

ahh, thats sux, OK then try this frame 2X4's around the section of floor you want mattedr and purchase genaric foam pads (very inexpenasive), then go to a near by tarp store and have them make you a tarp with gromet holes then you can strech and screw them down.
    This is very inexpensive to do, you can choose the color of the floor and also the thickness off the pad.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Looking for a good set of mats reasonably priced for my new school, found these online and was wondering if anyone uses them or knows anything about them:

http://www.realjitsuacademy.com/mats.html

They are decently priced but being how thin they are (I read somewhere 5/8 or 1/2 inch thick) I don't think they would be good for throws and takedowns, even though the website claims they are. Anyway, if anyone has experience with these I would appreciate your opinions on them.
    Those are basically just good for floor covering. You can roll on them, but you CANNOT!!!! throw people or spar on them.

You need 1.5- to 2.0-in. mats for sparring. Mats are the most expensive thing you'll need for a school, but also the most necessary piece of safety equipment you'll own.

I use Dollamur roll up mats and Zebra mats. I got the Zebra mats about 1/2 price from a BJJ school that was closing.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 10-04-2010 at 08:32 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Those are basically just good for floor covering. You can roll on them, but you CANNOT!!!! throw people or spar on them.

You need 1.5- to 2.0-in. mats for sparring. Mats are the most expensive thing you'll need for a school, but also the most necessary piece of safety equipment you'll own.

I use Dollamur roll up mats and Zebra mats. I got the Zebra mats about 1/2 price from a BJJ school that was closing.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I have 2 6 x 4 x 2 dollarmur mats to use, which is small but useable, just trying to look at other cheaper alternatives, although cheaper I know is not always better. But right now I am working with what I have and don't have 1500- 2000 to drop on matting a large area.

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

We have Zebra striking mats..

1" thick. This is what they look like (on the Zebra mats site btw)
    "The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Diethalymide-I have the same ones-what do you clean'em with?
    Last edited by TenTigers; 10-04-2010 at 10:07 AM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I have a bunch of unused red century mats-too hard for throwing, but you would need to pick them up
    they are listed on craig's list
    20 pcs of RED interlocking puzzle mats. Covers 185.2 sq. ft.
    never used, still in plastic wrapping.
    $ 430.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Mats!?!?!? You are suppose to use mats for throwing arts?
    Back in the day our instructor only threw us on CRUSHED GLASS.
    You bunch of nancy-boys!!! LOL!!!

Tongue firmly inserted in Cheek!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Tongue firmly inserted in Cheek!
    That's not KC's tongue....

If the uki kept their tongue firmly inserted in cheek on the throw, they wouldn't need mats.

Too many of the traditions have been lost.
    Last edited by KC Elbows; 10-04-2010 at 01:36 PM.

and for good reason, too.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Like your form doesn't do Wu Song licks the split baozi.