Thread: Pan American Wushu Championships

Pan American Wushu Championships

The Tiger Claw Foundation is the official U.S. Wushu team sponsor for the 8th Pan American Wushu Championships held in Buenos Aires, Argentina on October 7-10, 2010.

I thought you all might be interested in who is on the U.S. Team.

Taolu Team
    Bryan Cartago, Kyle Catlett, William Chen, Dominic Chow, Phillip Dang, Jason Dung, Pengyu Fan, Andrew Fung, Brenda Hatley, Simon Ho, Donovan Hui, Isabelle Ju, Richelle Ju,Roy Ke, Christopher Lam, Manuel A. Lerma, Wen Li, Mabel A. Lim, Stephanie Lim, Monica Liu, Annie Ma, Stephon Morton, Eugene Moy, Kevin Qin,Tiffany Reyes, Christina Sung, Claudine Tran, Michael Tsai, Samantha Tsen, Danny Tu, Tiffany Wang, Eric Yi, Karlee Yong
    Coaches: C.P. Ong, Jiang Bangjun

Sanshou Team
    Gary Chandler, Alex Cisne, David Clark, Kasey Corless, Mike Lee, Jessica Miramontes, Felipe Pantoja
    Coach: Ian Lee
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Only one results article on the whole of the internets...

And it's Peru!
    09:48 Peru won 16 medals at Pan American Wushu championship in Argentina

Peruvian national wushu team. Photo: ANDINA/Difusión
    * Lima, Oct. 13 (ANDINA). Peruvian national team obtained 16 medals at the Eight Pan American Wushu Championship held at Argentina’s National Center of High Performance Athletics in Buenos Aires.

The Sanshou discipline team won four gold medals thanks to fighters Brandon Herrera, Renzo Namuche, John Tinoco and Teobaldo Rivera.

For their part, Marcos Cerron, David Hurtado, Ruben Bustamante and Teobaldo Rivera achieved five silver medals, after five days of competition.

Meanwhile, Diego Huerto, Leonardo Infante, Yuri Flores, Yelka Torres, Gabriel Cerron, Jorge Serrano and Jhon Tinoco won seven bronze medals for the national wushu squad.

US, Canadian, Puerto Rican and Mexican fighters, as well as representatives from all South American countries competed at this Pan American championship, which is the official, continental Wushu event in the Americas.
    When you're off the internet, you cease to exist.

Actually, I heard we did quite well. I haven't got all the results yet. The U.S. usually does well at the Pan Ams.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bermudan coverage

I know Garon! He's a BSL cousin of mine.
    Bermuda Wins Three Medals in Argentina
    October 17, 2010 by bernews

Bermuda captured three medals at the recently Pan American Wushu Championships in Buenos Aires, Argentina, courtesy of outstanding performances from Garon Wilkinson, Shannon Ford and Samir Furqan.

On the last day of competition Garon Wilkinson competed in the Traditional Northern Open Hand Forms and Other Weapons 26 to 35 years divisions as part of the 1st Traditional Pan American Wushu Championship, earning a silver medal.

In a rather unfortunate circumstance, Mr. Wilkinson’s chain whip broke during the Open Weapons Division. Another athlete generously offered Mr Wilkinson the option to use his. Despite this, and the scoring deduction it caused, Mr. Wilkinson manged to get back on track, finishing in 5th place.

Also medaling was Shannon Ford who won a bronze medal in the 80kg San Shou Division, and Samir Furqan also put on an excellent showing to capture a bronze medal in the 56kg Junior San Shou Division.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A very confusing article

Where's the MMA?
    Former PHS athlete now mixed martial artist
    Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 6:00 pm
    By RYAN BLAKE THURMAN Herald Sports Editor

DJ Clark has always been involved in athletics in some fashion. He played football and ran track at Plainview High School, and while attending Texas Tech played two years for the semiprofessional arena team, the Lubbock Renegades.

After the Renegades disbanded in 2008, Clark was working in a department store when he was offered an opportunity to begin training in the mixed martial art known as Sanshou.

Two years later, Clark traveled to Argentina to compete in the Pan American Games, which began Oct. 13, for his first international competition.

"It was so great to see all the different countries, and the atmosphere was just awesome," Clark said.

Sanshou, which literally translated means "unsanctioned fight," is a Chinese-developed mixed martial art that incorporates boxing, kick boxing, Chinese quick wrestling and judo.

"You pretty much use your hands, feet and throw," Clark explained.

At the Pan Am Games, Clark earned a bronze medal in the 133-pound weight class. The 5-foot, 9-inch Clark, normally 155 pounds, said he dropped weight for the competition so he could be one of the bigger competitors in the 133-pound division.

Clark received a bye in his first-round match before falling to the Brazilian national champion in two rounds. His opponent eventually went on to win the tournament.

"His background was wrestling," Clark said. "He basically beat me on takedowns."

Clark, a 2005 PHS graduate, has been studying Sanshou for the past two years with Ian Lee, a seven-time Chinese national champion, at United Martial Arts in Lubbock.

Back in Lubbock, Clark now is working toward an even more ambitious international dream - the Olympics.

Sanshou was a trial sport at the 2008 Summer Games in Beijing, and Clark is hoping to compete in the sport's first official year of Olympics competition at the 2012 Games in London.

To get to that level, Clark is working toward competing against China when the U.S. takes on that country in the near future. After that, Clark plans to compete at the Sanshou world championships in Turkey next October.

"If you place in top five at the World Championships, you get an automatic bid for the 2012 Olympics," Clark said.

While he's training - which includes an exercise the fighters call "400-800" where they sprint 400 meters, take a minute break and then sprint 800 meters eight times - he still is attending Tech to get his degree in exercise sports science. After his days of competing come to a close, Clark hopes he can help train new fighters.

"It's something I've always wanted to do," Clark said. "Hopefully, I'll get to keep doing it."
    Sanshou in the 2012 Olympics? I think not.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well Gene, there's a lot wrong with that article, not just the "olympic" claim that you pointed out.....

It's also kind of sad that they did a feaute on a "bronze medalist" who "won" his medal going 0-1 at the tournament.

Need I mention that san shou does NOT mean "unsanctioned fight"?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

The unabridged report

We published a report on this in our present issue, the January/February 2011, on stands now. Here's the unabridged version: The 8th Pan Am Wushu Competitions By C.P. Ong
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shalini Singh

San Jose teen shines in international martial arts competition

Shalini Singh’s skill with a broadsword earned her a gold medal last month at the Pan American Wushu Championships in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The San Jose teen is an eighth-grader at Stratford School Raynor in Sunnyvale. (Photo courtesy of the Singh family)
    By JAKE RICHARDSON |
    PUBLISHED: December 2, 2018 at 7:26 am | UPDATED: December 3, 2018 at 4:31 am

She’s only in eighth grade, but Shalini Singh knows how to wield a broadsword. She proved her skill recently by earning two gold medals and one bronze at an international Chinese martial arts competition.

At the Pan American Wushu Championships in Buenos Aires, Argentina, the San Jose teen competed against other 13- to 15-year-olds from 15 nations in the “hard” martial art, a full-contact sport where force is met with force.
    Her gold medals were in Daoshu, a routine where the participant uses a broadsword, and Gunshu, a routine involving the use of a staff. The bronze medal was in Changquan, a routine where no weapons are employed, but there are kicking, running, leaping and whirling.

“It was truly an honor to participate in an international championship and represent the US,” said Shalini, who attends Stratford School Raynor in Sunnyvale. “It was a wonderful experience because I met athletes from many different nations and got to see how they practice and how they perform.”

The Pan American Wushu Championships, held Oct. 31-Nov. 5, was her first international competition but not her first Wushu tournament. In order to qualify for the Pan American championships, she competed at the US Junior Wushu team trials in Lubbock, Texas in April. Over the last several years, she has competed in the Chinese Martial Arts Tournament at UC-Berkeley, Tigerclaw in San Jose, and at a Las Vegas tournament in August 2016.

She was 7 years old when started at Wushu Central on Coleman Avenue in San Jose and loved it immediately. In 2016, after four years of intense study, she earned a first-degree black belt. Now, she has been practicing Wushu for almost seven years, and currently trains about 18-20 hours per week at Elite Kung Fu Academy in Fremont.

“I really like the focus and discipline that Wushu has instilled in me,” Shalini said. “Wushu has taught me that failures are an opportunity to learn and improve yourself. I used to lose in all of my initial tournaments, and at first, it made me upset and dejected. But the advice of my coaches helped me identify where I was weak, and helped me improve my performance.”

At the Stratford School Raynor, she is involved in speech and debate; math and biology are two subjects she most enjoys. For her, the lessons she has learned in Wushu carry over into her academic life.
    “Sometimes when I am exhausted after waiting several hours for my event to take place, or when I am suffering from an injury that makes me reconsider my decision to participate, I have found that I am able to gather the strength and courage to forge ahead and try to do my best,” Shalini said. “This spirit of perseverance has helped me at Stratford School also, especially with its value of exceeding expectations for both the teachers and students.”

In 2019, she has plans to compete again at CMAT and Tigerclaw, and is adding the Golden State International Wushu Championship to her schedule. She also hopes to qualify for 2019 World Kungfu Championships in China.

She knows her academic load will increase when she enters high school, but she wants to continue balancing classroom time and homework with Wushu.
    “Yes, I definitely want to stay involved with Wushu even in high school and beyond, because it is one of my best passions that I really want to pursue.”
    THREADS:
    2019 Tiger Claw Elite Championships & KUNG FU TAI CHI DAY - May 18-19, San Jose CA
    Pan American Wushu Championships
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt42022

Pan Ams were just held but like with the World Games, I'm not finding much English news coverage.

Cool to see Garon quoted tho - we went to China together in 1998. Many congrats to him!

Errin Cann’s a wushu history maker at age 10
    Colin Thompson
    Created: Jul 26, 2022 07:54 AM

Errin Cann made local history competing at the 13th Pan American Wushu Championships in Brasilia, Brazil, at the weekend.

The ten-year-old West Pembroke School student secured the silver medal with a score of 8.250 in the 11 and under Female Group C Jianshu (straight sword) to become the island’s first medal-winner at the championships, which concluded yesterday.

“I must say I was actually pretty surprised that she had won a medal,” Garon Wilkinson, the Bermuda Sanshou Association president, told The Royal Gazette. “That was not in my immediate expectations; I just really wanted her to place well. So for her to win a medal is beyond what I had expected and we are super elated.”

The gold went to Sabrina Ding, of the United States, with Sara Bruno, of Chile, claiming bronze.

Cann, who was awarded a 2021 Bermuda Government Junior Achievement Award for her accomplishments in wushu, also competed in changquan (longfist), where she finished twelfth.

She has thrived competing on the international stage in recent months, having also earned a gold and silver medal at the Phoenix Wushu Nationals last December.

Bermuda was also represented in Brazil by Kaelin Cox, who placed eighth in Men’s Optional Nanquan (southern fist).

The 26-year-old held his own competing in modern wushu for the first time.

“Kaelin did an excellent job,” Wilkinson said. “He is a veteran martial arts competitor, even on the international scene

“This was his first time competing in modern wushu. He’s known as traditional stylist, but he has made the transition to modern wushu.”

Cox made his Bermuda debut at the same event in 2018 when it was held in Argentina competing in san da (Chinese kickboxing), the discipline in which Bermuda has a good international reputation.

Oscar Lightbourne, Dwayne Cox, Chaquita Simmons, Nolette Webb, Jecoa Burrows, Shampagne Cann and Adriano Lourenco da Silva were the remaining members of the island’s contingent in Brazil.

Before the championships, Lightbourne, the technical director of Bermuda’s team and a member of the Pan American Wushu Federation Technical Committee, formed part of the committee that conducted an intense four-day judges training course.

The courses produced three newly qualified Bermuda judges after Dwayne Cox, Simmons and Webb passed the final exam and served as san da judges during the championships, while Lightbourne served on the arbitration panel.

“For them to pass the stringent san da examinations under the Pan American Wushu Federation sanction is a thing that Bermuda should be really proud of,” Wilkinson said.

“It really puts us in a good position to host regional events here in Bermuda since we have the infrastructure as well as the judges to be able to hold such an event, so I am really pleased overall.

“We had a small team but a very strong team and Bermuda really made an impact.”

Burrows and Da Silva served as youth and adult taolu coaches for competitors Cann and Kaelin Cox.

Da Silva, of Brazil, spent three months in Bermuda in 2020 to launch the island’s taolu programme.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips