Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: judo vs. bjj

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post

My point is those people in the videos you linked needed their behinds beaten just for being wanna-be posers.

Akebono had more skill (gained through hard work) in his specific field than you are ever going to have in anything as long as you live. His skill set just was not applicable to the context he put himself in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    The MMA guys were better conditioned and more disciplined in their approach and that is indeed gung fu.
    Conditioning is part of being prepared. That being said, if someone practices mostly techniques that are too "deadly" to be practiced full contact, conditioning isn't going to help him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    Akebono had more skill (gained through hard work) in his specific field than you are ever going to have in anything as long as you live. His skill set just was not applicable to the context he put himself in.
    I think you misunderstood I never refereed to Akebono I was talking about the ones knife fighter posted...
    As far as my skill level? I can close my gates at will, i kick i punch i practice wrestle and I'm familiar with effective methods of seizing. I understand my effective ranges as well as my limitations.

I've lost some and won some.

I just love martial art and I have nothing to prove.

How's your day?
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 10-08-2010 at 06:04 PM.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Conditioning is part of being prepared. That being said, if someone practices mostly techniques that are too "deadly" to be practiced full contact, conditioning isn't going to help him.
    <edit> I wanted to add a note:
    You misread as I was not implying that I was ever taught any thing secret style of ground fighting "too deadly for the street" LOL, since my teacher offers a series of interconnected rare skill sets which have served me quite well. instead i was awkwardly attempting to provide some personal insight into why i feel some of the higher skilled exponents of traditional gung fu do not pursue competition in these popular fighting events. I based this on individuals who's skills I respect who I thought might fair well yet have no interest. Truth be told the only person I'm qualified to comment on is myself

I agree with your above statement yet The people that were depicted in your linked videos weren't even fighters much less representative of TCMA....
    Mobility, flexibility, strength and skilled technique combined with the will to do damage makes a great fighter.

A clear mind empty of attachments and compassionate heart make a good man.

Thank you for your insight.
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 10-08-2010 at 06:18 PM.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Kano's basic thesis was that, since Jujutsu's "deadly techniques" could not be practiced at full force, they were ineffective. He used his philosophy of full out training with safer techniques to challenge the jujutsu guys and, basically, smashed them.
    Are there precise records of this. I don't see how they can have tournaments where people can eye gouge and such (which is part of the arsenal of JJJ). I'm not saying that eye gouging is supreme....the Gracies did allow eye gouging, biting, everything... in their fights when they made their challenge to any system in the world. One video on YouTube showed a guy trying to eye gouge Royler Gracie I think....in which he got his arm snap in a crack then scream, for it.....guess you don't get to tap after going there.

But Judo during Kano's time is even more so limited in ground fighting while Jujutsu had always had ground work. So were these fights, sporty fights with rules? Like lots of Judo rules. I've had training in Danzan Ryu Jiu-Jitsu. There's lots of throws, transitioning into a standing armbar (for example). I didn't like it too much b/c there was just too many throws. I think what you're referring to is that the TJJ of that time would get beaten badly in Judo tournaments. And Judo took over due to its sportiness and vigorous training, like a sport that athletes can compete in....unlike using techniques such as eye gouging, pinky breaking, etc. of TJJ.

From my experience, pure Judo guys are usually like flipped over turtles when they're on the ground...they're awesome at spectacular throws when standing up though.....now I'm speaking from 1997 or so when my sensei, a Judoka (b/c nowadays, everybody & their mother crosstrains...especially grappling), was still sharing a small mat space for his BJJ classes with another school. I remember seeing a black belt in Judo who was also my sensei's student from Brazil ....we were all impressed to see that he had a Black belt, b/c we were all white with a few blues (in BJJ)....not even 1 purple belt yet.....later we found out he was a BB in Judo and sensei was testing him out.....and ranked him at blue in BJJ. And he loss to all of the BJJ blues (all the time) and even to some whites during sparring.

My sensei, who's from a long line of Judoka with his father being a 10th degree in Brazil....talks about how when he was young & already an accomplished Judoka.... he got whooped by a Rickson Gracie BB in Brazil that came into their dojo ...b/c he couldn't handle it on the ground....and that was when he became this guy's (who whooped him) student in BJJ.
    Last edited by gunbeatskroty; 10-08-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbeatskroty View Post
    Are there precise records of this. I don't see how they can have tournaments where people can eye gouge and such (which is part of the arsenal of JJJ). I'm not saying that eye gouging is supreme....the Gracies did allow eye gouging, biting, everything... in their fights when they made their challenge to any system in the world. One video on YouTube showed a guy trying to eye gouge Royler Gracie I think....in which he got his arm snap in a crack then scream, for it.....guess you don't get to tap after going there.

But Judo during Kano's time is even more so limited in ground fighting while Jujutsu had always had ground work. So were these fights, sporty fights with rules? Like lots of Judo rules. I've had training in Danzan Ryu Jiu-Jitsu. There's lots of throws, transitioning into a standing armbar (for example). I didn't like it too much b/c there was just too many throws. I think what you're referring to is that the TJJ of that time would get beaten badly in Judo tournaments. And Judo took over due to its sportiness and vigorous training, like a sport that athletes can compete in....unlike using techniques such as eye gouging, pinky breaking, etc. of TJJ.
    Ummm... this was 150 years ago in Japan. Yes, it was everything goes. That was the idea behind the whole challenge.

Ummm... this was 150 years ago in Japan. Yes, it was everything goes. That was the idea behind the whole challenge.
    according to the reports there were a few deaths in the event, judo won alll nut one match which was a draw