Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with Tang Soo Do?

DragonzRage Guest

What's the deal with Tang Soo Do?

Out of curiosity, i was wondering if anyone knew anything about Tang Soo Do. Until recently i was under the impression that it was basically an early form of TKD but i guess it isn't. What's it consist of? Also, was it originally a form of Gung fu? My dad told me that it is basically Gung fu that eventually went to Korea. He's probably right because the phrase Tang Soo Do literally means "Way of the Chinese Hand."

There is only one martial art.

Kung Lek Guest
    Check out any info on Chuck Norris.

tang Soo Do was his first art that he learned in...yes that's right, Korea.

Tang Soo Do is considered the Korean version and interpretation of Chinese Martial Arts.

It may also have some connections with Hwarang Do in its guiding principles.

peace

Kung Lek

MaFuYee Guest
    pretty much just looks like a combination of tkd and jiujitsu to me.

baji-fist Guest

Tang Soo Do

My kung fu brother had studied tang soo do prior to learning kung fu. From what he has shown me, the forms are very similar to the forms taught in the Japanese styles. Basai So Dan (Karate) is also taught in Tang Soo Do. Actually, a lot of Japanese style forms are done in Tang Soo DO. If you ask me, Tang Soo DO is basically what it claims to be "Korean Karate."

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.

Taijimantis Guest

Tan Soo Do

Tang Soo DO is my "second" martial art system.
    The translation of the name gives you the origins of the style.
    Tang Soo Do literally means "Way of the Chinese Fist". as the Tang seems to come from the same root word as Wu Tang.

In my opinion, the forms evolve the higher you go, and second to the highest form in the system is called "So Rim Jang Kwan" the Shaolin Long Fist.

Many of the forms are named after the stylings of animals just like Chinese arts as well. Bassai the Cobra form is very Kung Fu-esque with its rythmic movements and fluid motion.
    There are horse, eagle, sparrow, tiger, ram, crane, and heron forms... even a Praying Mantis form.

The forms evolve from Korean looking TKD style forms in the beginning to Japanese Karate styled in the beginning, and seem to become more Chinese the higher you go. But they are all uniquely Korean.

Hope this helped.

Namaste

Taijimantis Guest
    oops... I meant to say the style of the forms evolves to japanese-styled in the middle not the beginning...
    And In case I wasnt clear yes there is a Shaolin Form that is used by TSD

Qiman Guest

Chi Gung

Has anyone ever met Tang Soo Do instructors that teach or practice Chi Gung? San Chen Kata? I know I probably spelled that wrong.

rogue Guest
    I've always heard that Tang Soo Do is the Korean word for Karate-do, which meant Way of the Chinese Hand in it's Okinwan form.

I used to be daga

Serpent Guest
    But karate-do means Way of the Empty/(Open) Hand doesn't it?

rogue Guest
    It does now, but the Okinawans were tipping their hats to the Chinese with the ideogram "kara" and to their own art of "te". The Japanese changed it in the not too distant past.

I used to be daga

Serpent Guest
    Ah, I see. Cheers.

8stepsifu Guest

I used to study Tang Soo Do

The fighting stance involved setting one arm at a 45 degree angle down against the body and the top are angled up (perfect for trapping) In spite of this he was a good fighter. He was 2nd or third in a Tang Soo Do tournament. Anyway dive rolling was important and belt ranks took over 2 years to attain. There were only like 5 belts and the highest was blue belt. For their instructor testing they had to break, not a heated board or a brick, but a river rock, a big smooth, polished river rock. Thats impresive. I later visited the school and the hand position wansn't as it was because somebody that knew how to trap came in and kicked his ass. He had a jj guy come in from time to time and teach us rolling and falling and things like that. It is basically karate. And yes, we made fun of the TKD guys. There was no padding and there was a big emphasis on control and not hitting the person. It was more of an "artform"

8Step Sifu

Trumo Guest
    This Korean(hard) style, does'nt seem to be as `proliferate` as it was when I was studying it back in the early 80's... this could be due to its easy assimilation and association with other styles.

T~

jimbob Guest

I think Rogue is pretty close

Several Korean style teachers I'm friendly with (the open minded ones) all say Tang Soo Do is Shotokan karate with a bit of Korean "flavouring". The first forms are apparently the same as the Shotokan Heian/Pinan kata.

Of course, these Korean stylist friends of mine aren't Tang Soo Do practitioners, so they may not be qualified to say that much about the art.

Taijimantis Guest

not Shotokan...

Tang Soo Do is not a Koreanized version of Shotokan. The forms are influenced by the Japanese from occupation. Yes some of the forms (Pyung Forms)are similar, but the advanced forms are nothing like Karate-Do, at all.
    The forms are as follows;

Kee Chi Il Bo
    Kee Chi Yee Bo
    Kee Chi Sam Bo
    (First three basic forms)

Pyung Ahn Il Dan
    Pyung Ahn Yee Dan
    Pyung Ahn Sam Dan
    Pyung Ahn Sa Dan
    Pyung Ahn Oh Dan
    (Series of Five Pyung Forms similar to Shotokan)

Bassai- Cobra Form
    Naihanchi Cho Dan
    Naihanchi Yee Dan
    (first two of three horse style forms)

Sipsoo- Bear Form
    Naihanchi Sam Dan
    (Third Horse Form)

Jin-Do- Crane Form
    Rohai- Heron Form
    (Three form set)

Hang Sang Koon- Eagle Form
    (Two form set)

Sai San- Praying Mantis

Whang Shu- The Sparrow

Jion- Ram Form

Oh Sip Sa Bo- Tiger Form

So Rim Jang Kwon- Chang Chuan
    (Shaolin Long Fist)

Tae Guk Kwon- Grand Ultimate Fist

The animals are symbolized in these forms because of the techniques used, the finger strikes indicate a snake striking, or some arm movements indicate flapping of birds wings, or the power and strength of the bear, but all were chosen because these animals choose to avoid conflict unless absolutely necissary for survival.

Jion is named for the Jion Temple in China, the Horse forms are named for the City of Hana where they originated, and The kang Sang, and Whang Shu forms are named for the men who developed them.

Tang Soo Do's movements are similar to karate to be sure, but how many variations on punching and kicking can you have? Besides where did Karate come from? oh yeah...

China!:D

The style best I can tell is Northern Chinese Martial Arts taken, simplified, restructured, and retaught. The influence of Japan, and autonomous history of the development of the forms of TSD gives the style a Korean feel all its own.

namaste.