Thread: Help in LA

Help in LA

Anybody know of a Pak Mei or Xing Yi school or group in the Los Angeles Area?? Im in Whittier if that helps at all.

Thanks!!
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

For Xing Yi I would go to www.emptyflower.net and ask there.

For Bak Mei, sorry, I don't think I can help you there.

Does it have to be these two styles?

You have a lot of options in Los Angeles ... souther, northern, internal, external, hell it doesn't even have to be Chinese....
    Last edited by Violent Designs; 10-05-2010 at 03:38 PM.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Those are just two I find interesting. SPM, Yau Kung Mun, Ngo cho would be cool. I guess short range, explosive systems are a personal preference.

Hey that link is a picture of some chick in a pool. Sign me up if shes the instructor!!

Quote Originally Posted by desertwingchun2 View Post
    Those are just two I find interesting. SPM, Yau Kung Mun, Ngo cho would be cool. I guess short range, explosive systems are a personal preference.

Hey that link is a picture of some chick in a pool. Sign me up if shes the instructor!!
    yes i changed the link.

There is nobody teaching SPM in LA, you would have to go learn from Manny Rodriguez which is quite a bit away. Not worth the drive if you ask me.

For Bak Mei I have not heard of anyone, same with Lung Ying Mor Kiu.

There is an abundance of Wing Chun however, Gary Lam is in Monterey Park, and Hawkins Cheung is centrally located in Los Angeles. But I guess this is not your preference.

Tim Cartmell is the only one I would recommend for Xing Yi, his school is not open anymore but I believe you can contact him via the Shenwu website, and he should still be teaching Xing Yi privately.

Besides that go ask people on EmptyFlower.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Nice!!

My Wing Chun people are too far for me to train with so looking for something local.

Thanks for the info. I may hit you up again if you dont mind.

I would personally recommend Hawkins Cheung.

As far as I'm concerned nobody really teaches the structure aspect like he does... he is a very small guy, and I take it if he was to use Wing Chun effectively it must be technically perfect, or as technical as possible.

One of my friends used to train with Hawkins, and he a lot of good things to say about him. His student, Jin Young, teaches in the Century City area.
    - Yagyū Munenori

I know of a very good practitioner of both Bak Mei and Xingyi in LA, from a very strong lineage in both styles. PM me if your interested.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    yes i changed the link.

There is nobody teaching SPM in LA, you would have to go learn from Manny Rodriguez which is quite a bit away. Not worth the drive if you ask me.

For Bak Mei I have not heard of anyone, same with Lung Ying Mor Kiu.

There is an abundance of Wing Chun however, Gary Lam is in Monterey Park, and Hawkins Cheung is centrally located in Los Angeles. But I guess this is not your preference.

Tim Cartmell is the only one I would recommend for Xing Yi, his school is not open anymore but I believe you can contact him via the Shenwu website, and he should still be teaching Xing Yi privately.

Besides that go ask people on EmptyFlower.
    First off, allow me to say that the drive to Ventura to train with Sifu Manny would be well worth the drive. While he teaches only a few styles his overall knowledge of kung fu is quite good and has helped many a student, from other styles, excell in areas in which they were lacking. Having said that, his son Scott Logan is a teacher in LA and is currently teaching SPM. PM me if SPM is the way you wanna go and I'll give ya his info. But personally, I say hold out for the Bak Mei. ;D

Aya!

How could I forget to mention Robert Chu sifu.

Another great teacher if you want to continue in Wing Chun, and seemingly perfect English and communication skills!
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by desertwingchun2 View Post
    Anybody know of a Pak Mei or Xing Yi school or group in the Los Angeles Area?? Im in Whittier if that helps at all.

Thanks!!
    Griffith Park

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Griffith Park
    What's in there? You know some teachers?
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    What's in there? You know some teachers?
    Several different groups practice there.

Same with a couple of parks in OC and San Fernando.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Several different groups practice there.

Same with a couple of parks in OC and San Fernando.
    Can you PM me some information?
    - Yagyū Munenori