Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why is Tae Kwon Do the most popular martial art in America?

Nutt'nhunny Guest
    how many of you have heard form sport tkd folks. "Full contact is disrespectfull"

rogue Guest
    Never heard that but it's funny.

I got nailed by a visiting WTF (as in What the F*** just hit me)style guy today. I thought he was setting up a somewhat sloppy side kick but instead he did a twisting(?) kick and nailed me in the head. :mad: Can't even describe the **** thing but his right foot hit the right side of my head.

From now on, enemies who are associated with terrorist activity will not cohabit the globe with the United States of America. William F. Buckley

Never forget

Good, better, Me Guest

Hmmm...

This topic was just another argument over styles.
    But okey, I wanna argue as well :)

I'm a WTF practisioner, and competitioner. In my dojang the non-competition practitioners are kinda...Hmmm...(un-flexible) ;)
    I've never seen a ITF practitioner fight, but still I know that they don't practise full-contact and their competition rules are even more funny then ours. Nevermind that, I don't doubt the effectivness of ITF but one thing I have to say about fighting a WTF guy. When joined my current WTF school I was so convinced that I would stand out of the crowd (maybe because of my experience in bujinkan budo taijutsu), but when I sparred a blue belt the first time, I was getting a serious but kicking. This wasn't because of the rules, but because he was a fast kicker, had a brilliant technique, had a good footwork and he didn't even go to my faints. Now this MAY be because I just plain suck, but still in TKD you actually can practise the original martial art even if it's a sport these days. Think of it, Someone said that "I trained TKD for 6 months, and I'm glad that I changed the art" or something, but can you learn much in 6 months?!
    If I started Hung Gar and waited for 6 months, but it still wouldn't have given me an ability to fight, do I have to change my art? The spiritual development comes due long time hard working, and it still exists even in TKD allthought it's a sport.
    My personal opinion on kung fu could be just as opposite as yours might be on TKD. I might think that what's the use of doing forms on imagined targets, what's the use of doing those fancy looking low stances, Why do I have to hit the opponed 10 times when just 1-3 would do the trick?
    Well that's not my opinion, if I could practise kung fu in my hometown, I would. Very 2 minded ain't it :p

"The students will eventually become like the teacher, so pick a good teacher :)"

Robinf Guest
    Good, better, me

Most kung fu schools also incorporate free sparring in their curriculum. Even TKD, without sparring practice, is just dancing.

Each martial art speaks to everyone differently. The trick is finding the art that speaks to you, and that's what will work for you.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

MonkeySlap Too Guest

QueSys

Hey, I'm just saying it like the Koreans say it.

While I do not consider this putting TKD down. Sure you might learn something that might help you in a fight. But you are also learning things that will work against you - because you are training for the sport rules.

I don't dis sport - I've played San Shou, Judo Randori and other things in my day. But it is only a drill. As soon as you start training to win according to the rules, you are no longer playing martial arts. And you are building muscle memory that could result in your losing to an untrained punk.

Muay Thai is good, but it is not an end-all be-all in the street. Neither is boxing. Personally, I think TKD is rather unsophisticated, and frankly, I like the SPORT version better than the MARTIAL (?) version. I think the footwork training and conditioning will serve you better than the silly techniques and one-step drills I've seen 'traditional' players use.

Actually, as far as sports go, I've seen Judo guys rip through Muay Thai guys in the street, and good high school wrestlers trash almost anyone.

BUT - if you do not realize you are playing a game, someone who does notice will kick your behind.

It all goes back to 'know your enemy, and know yourself, and you will be victorious' - Sun Tzu

Oh, I digress. Somewhere in there is the answer to your question. Sure a sport can help. Doesn't mean it ain't a sport though.

Don't blame me on that one.

"Poor is the pupil who
    does not surpass his
    master" - Leonardo Da
    Vinci

rogue Guest
    But at the same time I've visited schools where for the reasons you stated, didn't spar at all. While sparring is not the same as a street fight neither are two man drills. IMO the main attributes that free sparring develope are judging distance, closing and keeping the distance and how to deal with the fluid nature of a fight, things that drills just can't teach.

The only people that I've seen sporting rules ruin are those that are in it just for the sport. I don't think Herb Perez is the ultimate street fighter but I'd still hate to get kicked in the head by him.

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' Patton

Robinf Guest
    rogue,

I heard from someone who competed against Perez during those years and he said he took one of Perez's roundhouses to the shoulder and felt like he was going to throwup.

I don't want to get kicked anywhere by him.

And, if anyone has ever watched actual tournaments of TKD Olympic style, you'll notice that they don't go to the head a lot. They go to the midsection more often than not.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Robin

MonkeySlap Too Guest
    No sparring is just as bad as over emphasis on sport.

While Herb may kick like a demon - if he is focused on the rules, he is leaving himself wide open in several areas - where it may not matter how hard he kicks.

This is true of every sport. Our top pro boxers are not always very good street fighters.

You fight like you train, and that is not a bad thing unless you don't know what you are training for.

"Poor is the pupil who
    does not surpass his
    master" - Leonardo Da
    Vinci

rogue Guest
    If the person is able to seperate the sport from the martial aspect he'll be fine. Same with sparring, I have no trouble with adjusting my technique to fit the situation. I've always tried to focus my training on effective street techniques, but when I spar I also know how to make them "safe". It is easy to come across people in all arts who've never been taught what makes a technique damaging, TKD people who only spar wearing gear and following tourniment rules are at the same disadvantage as the Wing Chun player who thinks Chi Sao is going to get him through a fight undamaged.

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' Patton

Robinf Guest
    Ya, the sport sparring leaves the head WIDE open (as my sparring partner reminds me with her foot countless times). Personally, I wouldn't defend myself with my hands down like that and I wouldn't ignore the use of punches, grabs, locks, etc., that come in the full course of TKD, not the sport version.

Robin