Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Conn. murder trial...

Bjj

The problem is the offshoring of the middle class... and that's because we've allowed too much laissez faire economics. http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...t=va&aid=18239

"The American economic and political leadership has used its power to serve its own interests at the expense of the American people and their economic prospects. By enriching themselves in the short-run, they have driven the U.S. economy into the ground. The U.S. is on a path to becoming a Third World economy."

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...t=va&aid=18239

Yes, a black man saying that there are gonna be cases where a chance to make it has mitigating factors doesn't know what they're talking about. Try moving to Kansas, the only place I've ever been where Mexicans working in construction, legally or otherwise, usually end up working for themselves because most of the owners don't like mexicans or blacks, and this according to their own words.

Do nothing to counter that sort of thing, and you create various underclasses who owe you nothing.

We have opportunity here, that doesn't mean we rest on our laurels and brag about it, we improve it, unless we're afraid of work.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ-Blue View Post
    Speak for yourself.

So are you saying you have no respect for a law-abiding self-made billionaire who gives zero back to society, but you respect George Soros who gives back to society, but was a Nazi collaborator?
    I'm saying screw both of them. Being law abiding means squat to me, one could be law abiding out of loyalty to the law, or out of cowardice. Being good for one's society and being basically good are the only things worth measuring by, even if good for one's society includes pointing out its unmet needs.

George Washington broke a lot of the laws he chose, up until that point, to live under. He is admirable for not accepting the role of King, among other acts. He was relatively cash poor. Turned away power, poor with money: he is a failure by modern American standards.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...t=va&aid=21303

More about globalism. It really is the death of the American middle class and the ultra rich are the one's perpetuating it. I've argued this before - we're not raising the world to our standards, we're driving ours down to the third world.

Nothing will be fixed until we stop allowing the exportation of middle class jobs and eliminate this notion of global free trade. I'm all for trade on a level playing field, one where all sides compete on equal terms and we should dictate those terms with our standards... not China's, not Mexico's, not Vietnam's... etc. and that's not going to happen until we treat all businesses as foreign if they import anything into this country. It means tariffs to equalize wage disparity, it means penalties for violations of "green" and labor policies.

Until we address globalization, nothing will change and nothing will get fixed.

Actually, Bill Gates proves BJJ's point. Nobody forced Gates to give to charity or money for those in need. He does it of his own free will. You can't force something like that.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    The problem is the offshoring of the middle class... and that's because we've allowed too much laissez faire economics. http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...t=va&aid=18239
    I argue it's because increased taxes and regulations have made it cheaper to manufacture in COMMUNIST China than in the US that is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Actually, Bill Gates proves BJJ's point. Nobody forced Gates to give to charity or money for those in need. He does it of his own free will. You can't force something like that.
    I don't recall mentioning forcing anyone in most of my argumentation. I was suggesting that those who don't should rightfully be reviled, and their business should suffer for their betrayal of the society that gave them their chance.

Since the legal system allows dishonest corporations to sue people for criticizing them rightfully, and can win by losing cases that cost their detractors more than they can afford, they get away with dishonest but legal practices, and so are not held culpable for being **** poor Americans in the court of public opinion. Since they influence the system, they are not really regulated. Since there is no chance they will be allowed to fail, there is no free trade.

Since it's already a welfare system, it's just sour grapes to complain about attempts to cover more people than one group making it a welfare system.

If you have some other means for holding the society together, I'd be interested in hearing it, but no politician of any clout is for anything but a welfare state. Since we're arguing pipe dreams, then, I may as well add state confucianism, a pluralistic election system, and trips to Mars to the argument.

I argue it's because increased taxes and regulations have made it cheaper to manufacture in COMMUNIST China than in the US that is the problem.
    I know the wages of different people who actually work in China. For manufacturing, the difference in wages is pretty big. It's not just that China does crap for it's workers and consumers in the way of regulations.

BUT, if you'd like to implement some of their ways, I'd assume you're for lining up and shooting execs and CEOs who are caught in dishonest situations, or politicians and businesmen caught in cahoots. Your position has its merits.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Thank you.

If you look at charitable donations by Americans, they were up in the 1980s over the 1970s. And the 80s were 'The Decade of Greed'. Americans are the most giving people on the planet. When we have extra money, we give it. When we don't have extra money, we don't give as much. Cutting income taxes immediately gives millions of working Americans more of their own money to spend as they please. And history has shown that when we have more disposable income, we tend to give more of it to charities.

And as to the Bill Gates example, look at it this way: If Gates gets more tax cuts, he will have more money to give to charities of his choice. Or he can be forced to give more to the Gov't, where they spend it as they choose.

Really... the biggest recipients of welfare in the united states are those corporations that you're talking about. This is in the form of tax incentives, tax breaks, grants, infrastructural augmentation... etc. Yet, in spite of all of these attempts and the free money that they're given... they still leave.

The easiest fix is taxing the difference of what they're trying to escape on the imports regardless of where the corporate figure head office resides.

BJJ, I don't believe Bill Gates agrees with your assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    I know the wages of different people who actually work in China. For manufacturing, the difference in wages is pretty big. It's not just that China does crap for it's workers and consumers in the way of regulations.

BUT, if you'd like to implement some of their ways, I'd assume you're for lining up and shooting execs and CEOs who are caught in dishonest situations, or politicians and businesmen caught in cahoots. Your position has its merits.
    Of course I don't want to do as they do. Hell, they lock up Nobel Peace Prize winners in poltical prisons.

Don't you think it's absolutely terrifying to owe people like that billions, and that we spend alot of that money implementing social programs for the nonproducers of this country?

And fyi, they treat their workers better than we do. They have Gov't controlled healthcare there, the greatest program known to man.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Really... the biggest recipients of welfare in the united states are those corporations that you're talking about. This is in the form of tax incentives, tax breaks, grants, infrastructural augmentation... etc. Yet, in spite of all of these attempts and the free money that they're given... they still leave.

The easiest fix is taxing the difference of what they're trying to escape on the imports regardless of where the corporate figure head office resides.
    FYI, the USA has either the highest or one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world. This 'the rich don't pay taxes' argument is total bs. IRS numbers completely disprove that ridiculous assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    BJJ, I don't believe Bill Gates agrees with your assessment.
    It's 100% true.

He signed that stupid pledge agreeing to give 1/2 of his money to charity when he dies. So the more of his money he keeps, the more goes to charity when he dies. It's basic math.