Thread: 2 Great Hung Gar Books!!!

Blog Entries

2 Great Hung Gar Books!!!

My Sifu Lam Kwong Wing just released his 2nd Hung Gar Book. “Authentic Five Animals Hasayfu Hung Kuen”

Of course I’m very biased in favor of it, but regardless it is tough to come up with better books that could possibly offer this much information.

Just like his 1st H.G. book “Southern Shaolin Ling Nam Hung Gar”
    This volume goes into details about Gung Fu in general that are frankly not discussed in most books. Once again, Sifu releases and lets go of concepts that most people don’t ever talk about.

History, Gangster politics??? , Fundamentals, fighting principles and conditioning exercises. I’m frankly surprised he even goes into details about Tiger Iron Palm training, table and all, it’s amazing!

Excerpt:
    “Ha say Fu is not actually the style name however, it is a facilitation of the meaning for modern use. H.S.F., or Lower Four Counties, refers to a region in the Fujian province located south of the capitol city of Fuzhou. It also includes Quanzhou, Zhangzhou and Yong’an. It was the martial arts practiced in this region and is simply known as Hung Kuen.” …

Reference info: http://www.wle.com/store/b_hunggar.html

Bitter Feelings
    This Ha Say fu Book is really an important milestone. I had been begging my Sifu to allow me to release photos and/OR videos (old 16mm film stock) of himself learning this style in Hong Kong way back in the 1960’s. He’s always been very modest about it. In a way I understand, perhaps I would not want videos put out of myself just starting out in a style. Or he had other reasons, nonetheless it doesn’t invalidate the style.

In the past since Si Gung Leung Hua Chu was secretive and didn’t explain much history to the young man (Sifu Lam) that was learning from him. It’s been a hard pill for me(a student of Sifu Lam) to swallow… to keep quiet whilst so many A-holes have accused Wing Lam of making this style up.

Sifu has always been so humble and didn’t care, but all of that is explained in this book. He goes into the details of his fortunate circumstance to learn. Plus, to top it all off… the actual training photos that I have been asking for so long. Finally, I thumb my nose to all those nay-sayers. Call me bitter or vengeful, but they deserve it and they know who they are.

Anyway, anyone looking to really increase their Gung Fu understanding will certainly enjoy these books.

"O"nassis Parungao
    Last edited by Subitai; 10-07-2010 at 06:20 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

nice!

is he doing it in a boxed set with the dvds of same by chance?

cheers... and uh, welcome back stranger. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Great work!!!
    I will buy it certainly.
    I'm a long time student of an Italian disciple of Shifu Lam.

SY

have always found Hasayfu HK interesting, I will indeed but this book.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    nice!

is he doing it in a boxed set with the dvds of same by chance?

cheers... and uh, welcome back stranger. lol
    Hey Dave,

Um I don't know, perhaps they will offer that.

You know I live in New England now so I don't get to make face to face recommendations and such any more.

But shooting over an email and asking them....I can do, and it never hurts to just ask eh???

"O"

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

"O" when you gonna contact me?

ginosifu

ps

already got both books !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    AWESOME! There are so few descent books on Hung Kuen out there. Your Sifu's books are stellar!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Nice to hear from you, 0!

It's great to see Sifu putting out another book. I'm looking forward to reading this too.

Breaking the Ha Say Fu Hung Gar story in IKF was the most significant piece I did for that mag. Or course, I did another version for our mag in our 1998 September issue.

There's some discussion on this thread too: Ha Say Fu Hung Gar
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    It's great to see Sifu putting out another book. I'm looking forward to reading this too.

Breaking the Ha Say Fu Hung Gar story in IKF was the most significant piece I did for that mag. Or course, I did another version for our mag in our 1998 September issue.

Don't forget that article for inside kungfu.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

That's what I meant by IKF

What did you think I meant? The International Kart Federation?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries

Smile

Oh yeah, Si Hing...I also remember some quality work written by you that was sort of plagiarized by at a least one author.

You know what they say..."If their copying you, it must be a compliment".

I always like the stuff you write. Just read the Caligraphy article. Nice!! And nice use of Hung Gar examples as well. Haha.

In the end, you'll always come back to Hung Gar. It's inescapable.

Brother "O"

What did you think I meant? The International Kart Federation?
    WOW!!!

Where do I sign up for that??
    Kung Fu is good for you.

0 - It's good to hear your voice...or posts rather...

You know, that Calligraphy article - How Chinese Calligraphy Can Improve Your Kung Fu - has been kicking around in my head for over a decade. The whole sun fist episode happened when we were working at Lam Kwoon together.

I'm really eager to read Sifu's new book. We had started to work on his Ling Nam book together, so I had almost all the notes for that. We only had done a little on Ha Say Fu (it was originally to be contained in one big Hung Gar book) but not much. I'm eager to see how Sifu has progressed with the research on Ha Say Fu since then.

As for plagiary, you know, I think it's got to the point that I plagiarize myself now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Are there a Chinese version too?
    I can read English but a Chinese dude reading English version of a book by a Chinese dude is a bit funny. LOL