Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: kung fu or bjj

Yep Dragon.....I was just talking about the fighting aspect. MMA can build character and teach other things.....but cant compare to the traditional stuff on a whole or as a way of life.

To me the biggest threat I have is daily life.....trying to stay mentally and physically strong and balanced, teach my children how to live a good life and try to be good people, fit into society witout judging to harshly and hopfully not be judged.

MMA is fantastic for fighting but as a way of life......ehh....I think I will stick with the tradition.

Granted....there are good and bad people in MMA and TMA.

Funny... MMA comes from those arts with "tradition" and yet you all think it has nothing to do with an "art."
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    goju,
    for centuries this debate has gone on and willl continue to go on. If you think differently then you are the one who is delusional.
    How can it go on for centuries when some of these subjects werent even around to be discusssed lol

The only thing that has been around for centuries is frauds who wont demonstrate their techique and those who will

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

I dont recall anyone saying that.

Its an art. Just like wrestling or fencing.

No matter which style/art you go with, just make sure they train 'alive'.

goju,
    the debate on what fighting style is the best, is what i was reffering too, dont be so close minded and think tht people we are only speaking of 1993-to present MMA................

technically any MA that has more than 1 way of fighting is a MMA.
    praying mantis is made up from 14 styles, its a MMA.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    How can it go on for centuries when some of these subjects werent even around to be discusssed lol

The only thing that has been around for centuries is frauds who wont demonstrate their techique and those who will
    That's right, because people didn't start fighting for real until the UFC and MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    goju,
    the debate on what fighting style is the best, is what i was reffering too, dont be so close minded and think tht people we are only speaking of 1993-to present MMA................

technically any MA that has more than 1 way of fighting is a MMA.
    praying mantis is made up from 14 styles, its a MMA.

MMA is a sport. The name MMA evolved from the name UFC which evolved from the name vale tudo.

A system that is made up of many styles is not MMA.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bjj-blue View Post
    no matter which style/art you go with, just make sure they train 'alive'.
    true!

---

Quote Originally Posted by DBAC View Post
    That's right, because people didn't start fighting for real until the UFC and MMA.
    Did i say that you silly Illiterate doofus? Read the bloody thread first before you comment. It will save you from looking like a jack ass in the future

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    Did i say that you silly Illiterate doofus? Read the bloody thread first before you comment. It will save you from looking like a jack ass in the future
    Yes you did. Can't make the connection then I feel sorry for you.

trying not to sound pr!ckish here but, why are we having this topic on the Mantis board? This is premium main forum content gold. Going back to the original posted pic, there are absolutely no mantis correlated moves anywhere in that pic. Could those types of moves complement mantis? Absolutely

- but, as it stands now - there's no small angry mantis guillotine or black tiger mantis rear naked choke.

Quote Originally Posted by DBAC View Post
    Yes you did. Can't make the connection then I feel sorry for you.
    My post you quoted wasnt implying anything of the sort nor were any of my previous posts. I'm sorry but your arguing against a point no one is making,Be wise enough not to do that in the future.

goju
    Your comment was spun off of when i said this debate has been going on for centuries, and you comemnted .............
    So yes you did imply it was only about modern day MMA.
    however you should really refrain form calling people names, to get your point across
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

rarely is going to the ground and asserting your dominance over another person on a nice sandy beach full of thongs, tight booties and biznatches going to be a bad decision. unless you lose. haha
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.