Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weapons? What's best?

Quote Originally Posted by tiaji1983 View Post
    My favorite weapon is the Fan. If you carry a bamboo fan, it is completely legal, and it is good for confusing your opponent and disarming, and it can be used to strike vital points and stings if your slapped with it. The bamboo fan is the only weapon I know of thats legal to be taken on an airplane.
    That's pretty scary that this can get onto an airplane. I'm pretty sure that if a person have sandpaper with them, they can sharpen it enough in the bathroom to slash throats.

This is an excellent idea actually. You probably can still be charged with using a deadly weapon if you mess someone up real bad with it, but a good lawyer should get it reduced to your never intending to do so and only using it as a cooling fan....and just happened to use it as a weapon in self defense.

I have this spetsnaz fighting shovel in my trunk. It's pretty cool. A very legit shovel that's also a well balanced weapon for swinging & slashing. The edges are so sharp that it cut through big tree roots with ease. I have to keep it covered to not cut myself while digging in my car. I haven't even sharpened it neither.

http://www.1sks.com/store/cold-steel...es-shovel.html
    Last edited by gunbeatskroty; 10-08-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Actually, guns do require a skill set. Unless the guy is at point blank range, if you don't know how to properly aim, squeeze, and breathe, you stand a better chance of hitting something or someone else than what you intended. And even AT point blank range, there are a number of things that can go terribly, terribly wrong.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

1. bamboo sticks and rocks/pebbles.

all the sharp weapons were banned in the 1960s Taiwan.

being a kid growing up in the 1960s.

my first weapon training was with bamboo sticks and pebbles,

why, they are widely available.

you may wield the bamboo stick as if it is a sword or short stick

due to flexibility, you may even whip the stick.

2. roped pebble, instead of robed dart

we all have to start somewhere

3. staff is considered as the weapon of all weapons.

weapon training usually starts with staff training.

staff training may be converted to spear and other weapon training readily.

however, you may start with sword and spear as you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by tiaji1983 View Post
    My favorite weapon is the Fan. If you carry a bamboo fan, it is completely legal, and it is good for confusing your opponent and disarming, and it can be used to strike vital points and stings if your slapped with it. The bamboo fan is the only weapon I know of thats legal to be taken on an airplane.
    I'm with you in that the fan is one of my favorites. I carried one for years as a bouncer in night clubs It's a gentelman's sword when the wearing of a sword might be inappropriate LOL!
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

If you want to do staff then youre going to have to go with some form of Kung Fu and just wait until they give you a go-ahead. If you are ok doing knife, short stick, dulo dulo, etc then there is no better option than FMA. Most Filipino systems address these types of weapons on day 1, and I personally feel that learning these weapons early on provides an interesting degree of appreciation and understanding for the mechanics of empty hand work that cannot be had without training the stick first.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbeatskroty View Post
    I think I want to stay with TCMA for the artistic forms. Having good control of the blade through forms should transition well enough into a duel right?
    I think youre just joking...? If not, lets just be real clear, that the answer to that question is by and far, resoundingly and glaringly, NO!

If you were just kidding, which I suspect you were, forgive me for stating the obvious...

This guy says he does MMA/full-contact fighting regularly and if true then I'm sure he just wants to study the weapons/forms for the "coolness factor," like movie-fu, wushu or whatever.

So I would say... maybe find a modern Wushu center?
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by PlumDragon View Post

I think youre just joking...? If not, lets just be real clear, that the answer to that question is by and far, resoundingly and glaringly, NO!

If you were just kidding, which I suspect you were, forgive me for stating the obvious...
    I wasn't kidding. I was becoming mesmerized by this video that someone on this thread showed me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrtfH_VgGZ0

(not with the guy, but his sword play...although that also sounds gay)

Are you saying that this is not a good idea? First I wanted to learn the bare essentials for combat only. But now after seeing these videos that are more artistic, I'm becoming more interested in such forms.

Most of this is for fun and I'm looking to get good to play battlegeek with these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8BJttOMktk

Then for the long run, should there be a TEOTWAWKI situation, it would be a good skill to have should I run out of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    This guy says he does MMA/full-contact fighting regularly and if true then I'm sure he just wants to study the weapons/forms for the "coolness factor," like movie-fu, wushu or whatever.

So I would say... maybe find a modern Wushu center?
    Yea, I'm checking around KF schools and currently I think it's this modern Wushu type school that you're talking about that I'm trying out at now. I'm still traing at the BJJ/MMA school as the main place (which I don't want to replace), but just want to join the weapons class 1-2 times a week. Probably 1/week, but they seem to want me to go through their whole curriculum.

But them being a modern WS style, they don't seem to stress much on weapons. There's only like 5 swords and spears propped up in a corner. No display stands, no shine, nothing.....dull & dusty looking. I may have to check elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    I'm with you in that the fan is one of my favorites. I carried one for years as a bouncer in night clubs It's a gentelman's sword when the wearing of a sword might be inappropriate LOL!
    Check out this fan. Do you think it's a good one?

http://www.blade-empire.com/Martial_...ting_Fan.shtml

I don't like the KF, swords and Y&Y symbols. That's saying weapon right there and may pose a problem when the cops asks about it...especially if you just used it on someone.

I wasn't kidding. I was becoming mesmerized by this video that someone on this thread showed me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrtfH_VgGZ0

(not with the guy, but his sword play...although that also sounds gay)

Are you saying that this is not a good idea? First I wanted to learn the bare essentials for combat only. But now after seeing these videos that are more artistic, I'm becoming more interested in such forms.

Most of this is for fun and I'm looking to get good to play battlegeek with these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8BJttOMktk

Then for the long run, should there be a TEOTWAWKI situation, it would be a good skill to have should I run out of ammo.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=4W98A6MxfL0
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

what are those videos?

Didn't you say that you are interested in the sword
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Didn't you say that you are interested in the sword
    firefox won't open those videos.

my favorite weapons are the broadsword, chain whip, ropedart!!! I actually love watching the broadsword and chain whip used together, now thats quite the blender of death!!!

firefox won't open those videos.
    Works on my box...
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi