Thread: Sanda

Hybrid View

Sanda

Hello,

I would to know which style of fighting is used in Sanda ?
    In this video :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lygKOJhNKAU
    at 8:54 we can see the occidental fighter explaining that he has to lose his old habbits to move up his shoulders, because of his english boxing style.
    I have some questions for the one who know well Sanda :

-Is the way of punching in Sanda is like muay thai, english boxing ? Or something different with shoulders down ?
    -Is there inspiration from traditionnal kung fu style to generate power while punching, like choy lee fut or styles like that ? Or the modern Sanda is totally different from traditionnal kung fu styles, in the way to generate power while punching ?

Thank you for you answers.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    there is no "one" style used specifically in sanda. It's a compilation.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Google-Fu and you will find lots of information about Sanda and it's origins. But like Dragonzbane said, it is a compilation of TCMA styles as well as western boxing and other sport oriented styles. There are other members of this site, such as Coach Ross, (LKFMDC) who could give you a much better history lesson on Sanda, but those are the basics. Hope that helps.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Thank you both for your answers.

There are other members of this site, such as Coach Ross, (LKFMDC) who could give you a much better history lesson on Sanda, but those are the basics. Hope that helps.
    How can i contact him or where can I post to have this informations please ?
    For my research, I would to know what are the differences between punchs in sanda and a western boxing punchs (with shoulders up and contracted)

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    PM him... he's around... i just seen him in another thread here.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

As these guys said, its really a format more than a style and a synthesis of all kinds of kung-fu, as well as non-cma influences.

You can see all different 'flavors' of sanda at a typical event or by using google-fu. There are many different types, from China as well as the rest of the world.

That said, the more successful schools have evolved to incorporate more western boxing influence in their hand work. Its not exactly western boxing because it has to be modified to work in this format, but the influence is there. There are also strikes and defensive hand work (and simultaneous defense/offense) that are from outside boxing that can be put to good use in sanda.

The striking may look similar to Muay Thai to some, but it is actually considerably different (especially from traditional MT from Thailand) once you know the differences in the styles and strategies. Sanda tends to flow between strikes and takedowns very smoothly and not just clash and bang, although if you're better/stronger than someone that strategy can certainly be put to good use as well as the Russians have show for years. Its also common within Sanda to see strong-side-forward, a lot more use of front hand and leg techniques with a balance between front and rear techniques, along with greater variety of techniques. Aside from many techniques that are intact from CMA, the underlying principles are alive and well and make up the 'core' of Sanda.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrestelen View Post
    which style of fighting is used in Sanda?
    You don't look at Sanda from "style" point of view. You look at Sanda from "What's needed" point of view. Sanda is an integration of kick, punch, lock, throw such as:

- straight punch, hook punch, upper cut, ...
    - front kick, side kick, round house kick, ...
    - arm lock, shoulder lock, head lock, ...
    - hip throw, single leg, double legs, ...

Your

- hook punch can come from Longfist, Mantis, boxing, ...
    - round house kick can come from Longfist, TKD, MT, ...
    - shoulder lock can come from SC, eagle craw, Aikido, ...
    - single leg can come from SC, BJJ, wrestling, ...

Only the "strategy - use what to set up what" comes from your favor style/styles.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-12-2010 at 04:50 PM.