Thread: Sanda

Sanda

Hello,

I would to know which style of fighting is used in Sanda ?
    In this video :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lygKOJhNKAU
    at 8:54 we can see the occidental fighter explaining that he has to lose his old habbits to move up his shoulders, because of his english boxing style.
    I have some questions for the one who know well Sanda :

-Is the way of punching in Sanda is like muay thai, english boxing ? Or something different with shoulders down ?
    -Is there inspiration from traditionnal kung fu style to generate power while punching, like choy lee fut or styles like that ? Or the modern Sanda is totally different from traditionnal kung fu styles, in the way to generate power while punching ?

Thank you for you answers.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    there is no "one" style used specifically in sanda. It's a compilation.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Google-Fu and you will find lots of information about Sanda and it's origins. But like Dragonzbane said, it is a compilation of TCMA styles as well as western boxing and other sport oriented styles. There are other members of this site, such as Coach Ross, (LKFMDC) who could give you a much better history lesson on Sanda, but those are the basics. Hope that helps.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Thank you both for your answers.

There are other members of this site, such as Coach Ross, (LKFMDC) who could give you a much better history lesson on Sanda, but those are the basics. Hope that helps.
    How can i contact him or where can I post to have this informations please ?
    For my research, I would to know what are the differences between punchs in sanda and a western boxing punchs (with shoulders up and contracted)

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    PM him... he's around... i just seen him in another thread here.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

As these guys said, its really a format more than a style and a synthesis of all kinds of kung-fu, as well as non-cma influences.

You can see all different 'flavors' of sanda at a typical event or by using google-fu. There are many different types, from China as well as the rest of the world.

That said, the more successful schools have evolved to incorporate more western boxing influence in their hand work. Its not exactly western boxing because it has to be modified to work in this format, but the influence is there. There are also strikes and defensive hand work (and simultaneous defense/offense) that are from outside boxing that can be put to good use in sanda.

The striking may look similar to Muay Thai to some, but it is actually considerably different (especially from traditional MT from Thailand) once you know the differences in the styles and strategies. Sanda tends to flow between strikes and takedowns very smoothly and not just clash and bang, although if you're better/stronger than someone that strategy can certainly be put to good use as well as the Russians have show for years. Its also common within Sanda to see strong-side-forward, a lot more use of front hand and leg techniques with a balance between front and rear techniques, along with greater variety of techniques. Aside from many techniques that are intact from CMA, the underlying principles are alive and well and make up the 'core' of Sanda.

A) The clip was talking about his guard not his punching style. Other than to say he needed to loosen up. A tight boxers guard could lead to a broken arm because your arms have no room to cushion the blow. If you are going to use a high guard push your arms out 45-ish like muay thai because it’s a stronger structure and if it can’t take it has some room to collapse in before it breaks.

B) There are no technique standards in Sanda beyond the rules, each school has their own nuances.

C) Sanda has developed some unique punching to hit with the unpadded palm of the glove.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrestelen View Post
    which style of fighting is used in Sanda?
    You don't look at Sanda from "style" point of view. You look at Sanda from "What's needed" point of view. Sanda is an integration of kick, punch, lock, throw such as:

- straight punch, hook punch, upper cut, ...
    - front kick, side kick, round house kick, ...
    - arm lock, shoulder lock, head lock, ...
    - hip throw, single leg, double legs, ...

Your

- hook punch can come from Longfist, Mantis, boxing, ...
    - round house kick can come from Longfist, TKD, MT, ...
    - shoulder lock can come from SC, eagle craw, Aikido, ...
    - single leg can come from SC, BJJ, wrestling, ...

Only the "strategy - use what to set up what" comes from your favor style/styles.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-12-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    A) The clip was talking about his guard not his punching style. Other than to say he needed to loosen up. A tight boxers guard could lead to a broken arm because your arms have no room to cushion the blow. If you are going to use a high guard push your arms out 45-ish like muay thai because it’s a stronger structure and if it can’t take it has some room to collapse in before it breaks.

B) There are no technique standards in Sanda beyond the rules, each school has their own nuances.

C) Sanda has developed some unique punching to hit with the unpadded palm of the glove.
    For the most part I agree with both your and knowwho's responses I think we're all on the same page there. i didnt look a the clip but yeah the guard that works in sanda is not just like boxing. and punches are influenced, yes, and can be boxing, but also can be from variety of sources as you guys mention as long as they work within hte sanda format and are trained 'alive'. although what you say in point B) is that there are no exact standards and I have seen ppl use a pretty basic boxing guard with successful results although thats not what we teach either. comes down to the individual and who they are fighting and difference in skill level. for top level competition neither a straight up boxing guard or a muay thai (your example) guard work great in sanda as they will eat some big strikes and not be very effective at catching/countering in this format.

What you say about the structure holds true, although often its not both hands that are out at once (like in trad. MT) with one hand being a bit more conservative and guarding, brushing, parrying, pak'ing during strikes/defense. This guard hand can be sited as boxing example but also seen in some CMA but often not utilized well unless trained in real full contact environment. I think the boxing influence is as much a wake-up to the training methodology of how techniques are supposed to be drilled and practiced in order to build competent fighter (which has obviously been lost in much 'traditional' kungfu) as much or more than the outright boxing techniques.

As for point C) that's true and also other parts of glove like thumb side (lun strike), blade side (jut strike) , back fist... let alone fore arm etc.

Martial vs. marital

Sanda vs. TKD

Martial arts champion couple get into fight, husband ends it by swallowing wife's gold medal
    BY SHANGHAIIST IN NEWS ON OCT 30, 2017 10:40 PM

Recently, a man arrived at a Xi'an hospital complaining of some chest pain, which was alleviated after doctors removed a gold medal, three centimeters in diameter, from his esophagus.
    Afterward, the man explained how exactly the medal got to be there in the first place. He said that he is a Sanshou (散打) champion while his wife is a champion of Taekwondo. One night, they got into a fierce argument. After his wife smashed his trophy, he took revenge by swallowing hers.
    When asked about why they didn't simply work out there differences by actually fighting, the husband answered, matter of factly, that if they fought the entire house would have been destroyed.
    You can watch a Chinese news report about the incident below:

On Weibo, one online commenter pointed out that since they were both professionals, if they really did fight each other, then perhaps their problems would have been solved, because at least one of them would have ended up dead.
    By Alex Tang
    [Images via ChinaNews]
    The vid is embedded so I couldn't c&p it easily
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Wrestelen,

Sanda is the recent version of TCMA. There is not much difference. Sanda is just more or less a standard, so to make teaching and tournament easier. And shoulders down is a common CMA technique.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 11-12-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Muslim Salikhov

There's a lot of embedded twitter pix in this article. Usually I'll cut paste&link those too, but I don't have the time today. Just follow the link if you want to see them.

They call me Putin’s bodyguard’ – Russian Kung Fu champ set for UFC debut
    Published time: 17 Nov, 2017 15:10

© Robertus Pudyanto / Getty Images

Russian Wushu Sanda world champion Muslim Salikhov is making his UFC debut on November 25. The Dagestan native, who is coming off a run of nine first-round finishes, spoke exclusively to RT Sport ahead of the event.

Salikhov, 33, has won all the possible titles in Wushu Sanda, including the ‘King of Kung Fu’ tournament, made his MMA debut back in 2011, since then recording 12 victories and one loss.

Remarkably, with the exception of just one decision win, all of his victories have come in the first round – 10 by way of knockout and one via submission (triangle choke).

The only MMA loss, as Salikhov told RT Sport, came because he was unaware of the type of tournament that his former manager had signed him up to. Thinking that he was entering a kickboxing tournament, Salikhov said that he was taken by surprise when his opponent started to wrestle him.

For those who haven’t heard of Wushu Sanda before, it’s a martial art based on the study and practices of traditional Kung Fu and modern combat fighting techniques, which was originally developed in the Chinese military.

Wushu Sanda tournaments are well attended in China, and Salikhov, who became the first non-Chinese fighter to win the title of ‘King of Sanda’ (also known as King of Kung Fu) back in 2006, is something of a popular figure in the country.

As the ‘King of Kung Fu’ has contested most of his MMA bouts in China, the UFC unsurprisingly offered him a fight at their tournament in Shanghai, which will be held next weekend.

RT Sport contacted Salikhov to learn more about the ‘King of Kung Fu’ from Dagestan, his upcoming UFC debut, and the nickname he received in China.

WE COME FROM THE SHAOLIN OF DAGESTAN

RT: You’re making your UFC debut next weekend on the Shanghai card, how are your preparations for the fight going?

Muslim Salikhov: We’re currently preparing in China, in the city of Chengdu, where our friends from Dagestan have an MMA school. Our coach here is Magomed Gadzhiev, plus freestyle wrestling coaches from Dagestan. Their school here develops Chinese MMA, so to speak. We have everything we need to prepare here. They’re fantastic hosts. I’ve been coming here for a long time already, as I’ve had many fights in China, both in Wushu and MMA. So from here we’ll go to Shanghai.

RT: What aspects are you working on at the moment?

MS: Now it’s mostly about my game plan, some tactical aspects for the fight. Garcia is a well-rounded fighter, good at both striking and wrestling. I’ll try to use my speed advantage in this fight. Plus, of course, I’m cutting weight and following a diet.

RT: You’re a pretty big welterweight. How much do you normally cut for your fights? And what’s your walk-around weight?

MS: My walk-around weight is about 89-90kg (198lb). But I’ve always fought as a welterweight all of my career, and it’s never been a problem for me to make the weight. First UFC offered me a fight in the middleweight category, but as I said I’ve fought at welterweight all my life, so I don’t have plans to go up in weight class.

RT: Is there anyone in particular among the UFC welterweights that you’d be interested in fighting in the future?

MS: It’s a very hard division, but I don’t really like picking my opponents. It’s the organization's job to do the matchmaking. My job is to show entertaining fights. The better I fight, the better opponents I’ll get in the future. But if I had to pick one, I’d say ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson. I like his technique and what he does in the cage.

RT: We know that you train with your friend Zabit Magomedsharipov, who also comes from a Wushu background and will fight on the Shanghai card. He had his UFC debut in September and it was a very entertaining fight. Has he raised the bar for you as well?

MS: Well, Zabit is Zabit. He proved himself even before his UFC debut, being a champion in ACB (Absolute Championship Berkut). We didn’t expect him to perform any different, at least I didn’t. If we're talking about my performance, my goal is always to show my best. I don’t look to win on points, I’m always looking to put on a show.

RT: We know that you and Zabit also come from the same school in Dagestan - 'Five Directions Of The World'. Could you tell us a little more about this school?

MS: We come from the same coach, Gusein Magomaev, the founder of Five Directions Of The World. Obviously we were in different age groups. I’d even say that our styles differ. I’m seven years older than Zabit, and have practiced Wushu a lot longer. But yes, we come from the same coach. Five Directions Of The World is a boarding school in the mountains of Dagestan, kids stay there for six days a week to study and train. There are plenty of martial arts at this school, not just Wushu.

RT: What does the name of the school mean?

MS: The concept, which originates in oriental culture, was created by our coach Gusein Magomaev, who studied philosophy, and who I’d say is a philosopher himself. The symbol of the school is a pyramid, which has four edges at the bottom, which point north, south, east and west, while the top of it points to space. I can’t really explain the full meaning in short. It’s worth a separate discussion. In short, they call this school The Shaolin of Dagestan. At least, here in China.

PUTIN’S BODYGUARD

RT: Talking about China, we know that you’re really famous there. Do you get recognized by people on the street a lot?

MS: Wushu Sanda is a big sport in China. So yes, people do recognize me on the streets, and ask for pictures. Sometimes even taxi drivers recognize me and say that they won’t charge me for a ride (laughing). I really feel at home in China. I’m not very well known in Russia, except maybe for my native Dagestan. But when I go to places like Moscow or St. Petersburg, there are usually a few hardcore MMA fans who recognize me. In China it’s just regular people who ask me for pictures.

RT: We also know that you have a special nickname in the Wushu world, or let’s say in China. The way they introduce you at tournaments.

MS: Yes, that’s right. They call me ‘Putin’s bodyguard.’ When it all started I constantly denied it, saying, ‘no, I’m not Putin’s body guard.’ But they still did it at tournaments and press conferences, every time. So I figure I should just let it go. Instead of denying it, I began saying, ‘I’m not supposed to talk about it’ (laughing). China is a very different, very special place. You have to come here and experience it yourself. The way they see things, the way they see life. They have a different mentality.

RT: One important aspect of being popular in the UFC, besides the fighting itself, is the ability to speak English. How well do you know English?

MS: I actually speak some English. I lived for almost three years in Thailand, where English is the international language for all foreigners. Plus, I’ve been to many training camps in the States, in Brazil. I haven’t really taken any English classes or anything. But I did learn some by communicating with people. So, yes, I can communicate and give interviews, for example.

RT: Should UFC fans expect some callouts or trash talk from you?

MS: I’ll never start insulting my opponent first. If anyone insults me, of course I won’t keep quiet. But I have no intention to ‘talk ****,’ as they say. I respect my opponents, and I expect them to respect me. But if they don’t, they’ll pay for it in the cage.

RT: You’re coming off a series of nine first-round finishes, eight of which were straight knockouts. Should UFC fans expect to see more of the same in the octagon?

MS: Of course I want to finish all my fights in the first round. The quicker you finish your fights, the longer you last as an athlete. Plus, it’s a great show for the fans. They want to see more knockouts, more finishes. And every time I have a fight ahead of me I always think, ‘will I be able to finish it quickly this time?’ It’s a challenge for me, too. But, I’m always 100 percent ready for a full fight. I’d never go in the cage unprepared. I’m always there to steal the show.

by Denis Geyko for RT Sport
    This deserves copying on both the Sanda thread in the MMA sub forum and the Sandawang - China's King of Sanda thread on the main forum.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Muslim Salikhov failed a drug test

More on Salikhov.

USADA notifies Muslim Salikhov of potential anti-doping violation
    By: Steven Marrocco | July 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Muslim Salikhov def. Ricky Rainey at UFC on FOX 29: Best photos

UFC welterweight Muslim Salikhov failed a drug test and has been notified of a potential UFC anti-doping policy violation.

The promotion today released a statement confirming the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency’s notification of a potential violation, which stems from an out-of-competition drug test conducted June 7 in Russia.

Salikhov (14-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) was unbooked at the time of his potential violation. Two days ago, however, he wrote on his Instagram page that he was preparing for a UFC fight.

Salikhov has yet to comment on the news of his failed drug test. His manager, Ali Abdelaziz, did not return a request for comment.

Salikhov most recently appeared in the octagon in April, when he stopped short-notice opponent Ricky Rainey (13-5 MMA, 0-1 UFC) in the second round of their FS1-televised fight at UFC on FOX 29. The win evened out his UFC record after a debut setback against Alex Garcia.

Prior to signing with the UFC, Salikhov got the MMA world’s attention with a spinning hook kick knockout of UFC vet Melvin Guillard in China. A decorated Wushu Sanda practitioner, the 34-year-old is the only non-Chinese person who has won the Wushu Sanda King’s Cup.
    THREADS:
    Sanda
    Busted MMA fighters and fights
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt for International Women's Day

Fighter By Spirit: Meet 24-YO Wushu Champ Tenzin Pema, Who Has Been Quietly Making India Proud
    Manika Parasher Updated: Mar 08, 2019, 10:31 AM IST 184 SHARES

At 24, she has already known what it means to be all alone in this world, to have people tell you that you’re not good enough, to barely have money to make ends meet and to be called names for trying to fulfil her dream.

“You can’t do it. You can’t just watch someone and get inspired and actually do it.”

TENZIN PEMA ON INSTAGRAM

That’s what Tenzin Pema was told when she set out to become a fighter. And guess what? She did everything they told her she couldn’t and shouldn’t do.

Tenzin Pema is a Kickboxing, MMA and Thai boxing champion, who has been a one-woman army all her life. Just recently, she won India a silver medal in the International Wushu Championship in Moscow, Russia.

TENZIN PEMA

TENZIN PEMA

At 21, Tenzin abandoned the peaceful hills of Himachal Pradesh and embraced the rushed life of Delhi, only because she wanted to fulfil her dream to be a fighter.

“I always wanted to be a fighter… Bachpan se,” she says.

Life has been tough on her, but she has been tougher. She saw her mother struggle with cancer and depression and ultimately lost her when she was three-years-old. She grew up with her maternal grandmother and after she too passed away, Tenzin moved to a hostel.

“I was all alone when I started out, and I never begged anyone for anything. I wanted to make it on my own and today, whoever I am, I am because I have worked hard for it,” she says.

“I’ve grown up seeing women being dominated and suppressed by men. So, I decided I wanted to be someone people would look up to,” she explains. “I wanted to represent my country at the highest level.”

In a country that lives, breathes and eats cricket, there are several sports that never get their due. How many people actually followed badminton before Saina Nehwal won an Olympic medal? How many people actually cared about wrestling – especially female wrestling – before the Phogat sisters made it big? Manika Batra drew India’s attention to table tennis. Mary Kom has spent her life in the boxing ring to wake India up to female boxing.

So, it comes as no surprise that Tenzin doesn’t have much of support.

“I get a scholarship once a year. If I apply for it this year, I will get it next year. In the meantime, I am left to fend for myself,” she confesses

“I want to tell the Sports Minister Mr Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore and the government that we should recognise and respect all sports, no matter how small. We don’t play because a sport is popular or unpopular, we do it because we love it and we want to make our country proud,” Tenzin says.

Despite the fact that India has begun to recognise other sports – including Wushu – to an extent, there is hardly any support system for veteran players.

“Why do athletes and sportspersons have to resort to selling their medals to make ends meet?” asks a concerned Tenzin.

“I know of players who worker harder than I do but no one cares about them. I am not asking for honours for myself. But I feel people who work hard at their sport and make their country proud should not be left without a support system.”

Nepali, *****i – she has been called various names. But nevertheless, she has soldiered ahead without caring about what people said. “I am an Indian – by birth and by heart – but I have blood ties with Tibet. I carry the responsibility of making two countries proud,” she says proudly.

TENZIN PEMA

There are so many like Tenzin who are fighting for their due – support, recognition and respect. As a nation, we should be able to give them that much. They don’t need us, they are all fighters in their own right, but it wouldn’t take too much to get to the stands to support the people who make us proud. We owe them at least that, and much more.
    There's some embedded instagram links that I didn't copy behind the link.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wrestelen,

To put it in another way, like MMA, Sanda is not a style. It is a free fight format with training version and tournament version.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong