Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what would you do

yeh man its cool.
    I just like to feed the trolls every now and then. Im going to see him on the weekend and it will be a talk in which he is told to dtop using our name to advertise. He can run a school just not use our name.
    Sukuraba rules man. Yeh making the point that bjj has alot of bull**** too. like being undefeated except for helio having his arm broken etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    not all olympic coaches ever made it to the olympics let alone won gold.
    Of course not. And that isn't what I said.

I said that IF the coach didn't make much difference than anyone could coach the Olympics. The coach/instructor makes a great deal of difference.

If we want to know what it takes to be a very good coach/instructor, then all we need to do is look at the qualifications. For example, look at the wrestling coaches or the judo coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    I said that IF the coach didn't make much difference than anyone could coach the Olympics. The coach/instructor makes a great deal of difference.
    In my experience some of the Olympic alternates turn out to be some really fantastic coaches.

you seemed to be saying if your teacher can't fight he can't teach you too. My teacher lost all the feeling in one side of his body due to three compressed disk in his neck. He learnt to fight and now you wouldn't know he had hurt himself, except for the next day. But he learnt to fight off Barry who had heaps of fights who learnt of WSL who had heaps of fights etc, etc. Meaing that although he is a nice guy and doesn't fight he knows how to train people to fight as he was taught by Barry how to train fighters. Take greg Jackson, great mma coach. Who has he fought? But he has learnt what needs to be done to train someone to fight. But he gets to train elite guys that are already fighters. If he took people just from the general public do you think everyone will be a champion or even a good fighter, hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    THINK about that for a minute. If what you said was true, then anyone could open a BJJ school, anyone could coach Olympic athletes, anyone could teach wrestling or anything for that matter -- after all, their quality really doesn't matter.

What a good coach/teacher does is greatly reduce the time it takes an athlete to develop. Why? Because if you want to learn some skill, certainly you can work it out yourself through lots of practice (that's how many of these skills were developed in the first place) or have someone who already has that skill teach it to you. The former takes lots of time, effort, and hard work with much of that being wasted; the latter is a much more efficient, quicker, and reliable way of learning. And a good coach/teacher can share his/her experience (don't do this, try to do that, etc.), again greatly reducing the time it takes for an athlete to develop.

If you wanted to develop a good ground game, you could just start rolling around on the ground and trying to work things out for yourself. Or, you could go to a school with a proven, skilled groundfighter and have them teach you. IOWs, you could spend your time trying to reinvent the wheel or have someone who knows how to make wheels, show you.
    HI everyone, and welcome to Mr T niehoff's nightly misinterpretation sessions.

Just for those of you as dim as Mr Niehoff himself, The point being made was actually that just having a great coach is not enough. On an individual level, for a single person to succeed is often not the coaching that makes that person capable of competing but their individual determination and athletic ability which allows for such success. It is also impossible to teach heart, a fundamental characteristic of a true competitor.

This is not to say that a great coach will not be able to make that person better, but in all likelihood, that person is probably going to have succeeded no matter what. You can dress a donkey up to look like a thoroughbred, but at the end of the day the truth is obvious. regardless of coaching, that person will be capable of little in relation to their true thoroughbred competitors.
    The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.
    -sun tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Oh, speaking of completely clueless, theoretical, fantasy, non-fighters... look who's making his nightly appearance.
    Wow, being insulted by a hypocritical little bit.ch. I might just have to cry myself to sleep.
    The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.
    -sun tzu

I was wondering when the subject of BJJ and its practitioners would be introduced into this thread by this forum's "kung fu" practitioners.......

As for Benny's problem, then my advice is for your teacher to phone this guy and see what he has to say for himself. I believe that his attitude when confronted verbally by your teacher will ultimately dictate the next course of action.

I emailed and rang but I get no response. My teacher is in china so a phone call is very unlikely. he seems to just be dodging.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    I emailed and rang but I get no response. My teacher is in china so a phone call is very unlikely. he seems to just be dodging.
    I see. Perhaps you should wait for your sifu to come back from China. Maybe the guy will relax and be caught by surprise when your teacher suddenly contacts him, some time from now.

To be honest, I hate dishonest and fakes like this guy, but the kung fu world is full of them. So, my best wishes in you guys getting him to answer for what he has done.

Quote Originally Posted by shawchemical View Post
    Wow, being insulted by a hypocritical little bit.ch. I might just have to cry myself to sleep.
    Perhaps you should put him on ignore like I have (even if you guys quoting him, does not help my ignore function.)?