Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: siu hon sung?

dear TopCrusader:I'm interested just like you in bruce lee and his teachers

i have many pics of bruce lee doing gung fu forms perhaps that learned from siu hon sang
    i will published them night

Quote Originally Posted by qwert2020 View Post
    another photo of siu hon sang in training

Does anybody know what style of marital arts Shiu Hon Sang is demonstrating here? I am guessing either Seven Star Praying Mantis or Hung Gar based on his biography.

Thanks

What SiSuk Shiu Honsang performing in the pictures are from a special set that he developed based on a collection of movements from different styles that he learned and it consisted of 6 rows. The movements are very basic but practical and was created for his beginner level students.

This little booket was like an introduction to basic horse stances, proper fist, stretches, his own develop set and also part of a set (First row: Five Brother Fist) from Sun Yu Fung's BSL Lohan which is only the first row of six rows of a sparring set called BSL Lohan Nian Shou Chuan. SiSuk Shiu Honsang is doing this sparring set with his classmate SiSuk Shek Kin as they were both started their Kung fu lessons as classmates with GGGM Sun Yu Fung.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernShaolin View Post
    What SiSuk Shiu Honsang performing in the pictures are from a special set that he developed based on a collection of movements from different styles that he learned and it consisted of 6 rows. The movements are very basic but practical and was created for his beginner level students.

This little booket was like an introduction to basic horse stances, proper fist, stretches, his own develop set and also part of a set (First row: Five Brother Fist) from Sun Yu Fung's BSL Lohan which is only the first row of six rows of a sparring set called BSL Lohan Nian Shou Chuan. SiSuk Shiu Honsang is doing this sparring set with his classmate SiSuk Shek Kin as they were both started their Kung fu lessons as classmates with GGGM Sun Yu Fung.
    Thank you for this information! Did you study under SiSuk Shiu Honsang? The picture above is actually from Bruce Lee's personal scrapbook so it looks like he cut out pictures from that school booklet of Shiu. I welcome any other information on Shiu Honsang you may have.

No I did not learn from SiSuk Shiu Honsang but he is from the same lineage as from whom I learned from and I'm the most senior disciple of GM Wong Jackman.

Very cool. You seem to know specifics on that manual. Was the manual something that was reprinted recently, or only many years ago? Is it something that is possible to find/own currently?

Thanks

I believe the manual was printed in 1954 with limited copies. Like many old books from that time period once they are sold out, they are gone. There is no market to re-publish these old TCMA books. Many of these old books were printed on very cheap paper so they do not keep well against time.

NorthernShaolin:

I was wondering what southern styles were taught at the Hong Kong Jing Mo. Did they teach Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut? How about Wing Chun? Out of the northern styles, I know they taught Bak Siu Lum and Bak Siu Lum Lo Han. When Arthur went to the Jing Mo in Hong Kong a while back he said he saw them doing Hsing I and it looked the same as Sifu Wong''s.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

From what I recall yes that's what he saw. Also taught was White Crane, Wing Chun, Wu Tai Chi, and CLF. No BSL, Buksing CLF or Lohan as these styles were taught outside in private kwoons.
    Even to my surprise Eagle Claw and Praying Mantis was not offer. Jingmo is not as large as it was in the past. There may have offer classes in karate and Taekeando as these two styles are big in China and Hong Kong.

Red face martial classes's offered@ chin-woo/jing mo.H.K.

Greetings Family. What time period are you talking about for these styles being taught at jing mo/chin woo. also, I was in hong-kong at chin woo and saw info on master's and sifu's teaching many styles at chin woo,also rotating teacher's and systems being offered. also private training with master's is available. this my understanding,may be I'm incorrect here in what I saw in chin woo/jing mo. best regards. N.M.

Rm.,

SLF was referring to a time that was many years ago. I am sure the curriculum has change.

One basic principle is to not really have your breath be in any certain pattern in relation to the movement. This is a key standard to the exercise.

russian martial arts

Siu Hon Sang

Quote Originally Posted by TopCrusader View Post
    Thankyou for sharing these pictures! I have researched him as much as I can (since I cannot speak Chinese), mostly for his connections and training of Bruce Lee. (I study Jeet Kune Do) Several magazines in the 1970s would print articles about him such as Real Kung Fu magazine and the Bruce Lee magazines that were put out by the Bruce Lee JKD Club of Hong Kong. If more Bruce Lee memorabilia collectors would actually read and share the info in these rare magazines, then we would all be more knowledgeable of Siu Hon Sang and other important material.
    Sifu Siu Hon Sang died on November 27th 1994

From my research I have found this out:
    He learned Hung Gar from Fung Wing Biu, who was a student of Wong Fei Hung (Hung Gar)
    Fung referred Shiu to friend Hung Cheung (to learn Choy lay Fut)
    Shiu was also referred to chik wong the authority of chow gar pak kwa pole fighting techniques.

At the Canton Chin Woo School, Siu Hon Sang learned from Sun yuk Fung who was in charge of the northern style kung fu instruction, and hung cheong who was in charge of the sourthern styles.
    Shek Kin and Shiu Hon Sang are both graduates from the kung fu classes operated by the Chin Woo associations, and are both experts in Northern Style Kung Fu. Shek and Shiu are close friends of Lee Hoi Chuen, the father of Bruce Lee.

Shiu Hon Sang was also in two Wong Fei Hung movies:
    Huang Fei-hong Guanshan da he shou (October 1956)
    Huang Fei-hong Shamian fu shen quan (July 1956)

If anybody has more pictures of Siu Hon Sang, please share them! I have also looked for those two mentioned Wong Fei Hung films but cannot find them anywhere. I assume they were never released on VHS, DVD, etc.

Enjoy the pictures I have provided. Notice Shek Kin in the photo from one of the Wong Fei Hung films!
    TopCrusader ,

Thanks alot for sharing these pictures and information with us , I do know that the late Bruce Lee also learned Hung Gar from Sifu Siu Hon Sang , but bruce only learned a little bit of hung gar , but TopCrusader , do you know what hung gar set
    bruce was learning ? According to my good friend he said that bruce was learning old fashion hung gar from Sifu Siu Hon Sang .

And it ' s really too bad that Sifu Hon Sang had died already , it was on a documentry DVD on Bruce Lee before he passed away . Sifu Sang was practicing a set on hung gar , he looked very powerful and vibrant . He was talking about Bruce in chinese . Bruce was teaching him cha cha dance , while Sifu Siu was teaching bruce kung fu . Bruce learned kung fu from Sifu Siu in a short period of time while an ordinary student would take 1 month if I ' m not mistaken to learn Sifu Siu ' s basic moves . And bruce was so anxious to learn Sifu Siu ' s kung fu that bruce did ' nt give Sifu siu himself time to learn the basic moves of cha cha dance .

Anyway , thanks again TopCrusader for these pictures and information on Sifu Siu
    from your own research . Chin woo is it also known as jung or jeng moo in chinese ? Is this the school being founded by Huo Jia ? Also known as the Chinese Physical Culture Association ? We have a branch in Hawaii , but we call it jung mo or jeng mo ( Chinese Physical Culture Association ) . Bruce ' s movie fist of fury was based on that club .

Take Care ,
    Lance

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    TopCrusader ,

Thanks alot for sharing these pictures and information with us , I do know that the late Bruce Lee also learned Hung Gar from Sifu Siu Hon Sang , but bruce only learned a little bit of hung gar , but TopCrusader , do you know what hung gar set
    bruce was learning ? According to my good friend he said that bruce was learning old fashion hung gar from Sifu Siu Hon Sang .

And it ' s really too bad that Sifu Hon Sang had died already , it was on a documentry DVD on Bruce Lee before he passed away . Sifu Sang was practicing a set on hung gar , he looked very powerful and vibrant . He was talking about Bruce in chinese . Bruce was teaching him cha cha dance , while Sifu Siu was teaching bruce kung fu . Bruce learned kung fu from Sifu Siu in a short period of time while an ordinary student would take 1 month if I ' m not mistaken to learn Sifu Siu ' s basic moves . And bruce was so anxious to learn Sifu Siu ' s kung fu that bruce did ' nt give Sifu siu himself time to learn the basic moves of cha cha dance .

Anyway , thanks again TopCrusader for these pictures and information on Sifu Siu
    from your own research . Chin woo is it also known as jung or jeng moo in chinese ? Is this the school being founded by Huo Jia ? Also known as the Chinese Physical Culture Association ? We have a branch in Hawaii , but we call it jung mo or jeng mo ( Chinese Physical Culture Association ) . Bruce ' s movie fist of fury was based on that club .

Take Care ,
    Lance
    Hi Lance,
    I do not know specifically what Hung Gar Bruce learned. Do you have any sources of information about Lee's Hung Gar training? Because I have never discovered any reliable information that say that Shiu Hon Sang indeed taught Bruce Hung Gar. Please enlighten me if you know more.
    As far as what Hung Gar Bruce knew, I am not 100% certain. Two specific movements he has demonstrated for the camera are the tiger claw & crane beak. He performs them for the 1965 screen-test that got him the Green Hornet role. There is also pictures from various times of Lee demonstrating the Tiger Claw (to the face) and Crane beak attacks on his students.
    Also, his first student Jesse Glover says in his book that he learned a Hung form from Bruce Lee and performed it at several demonstrations on the west coast, circa 1959-1963. Jesse never mentions a specific name for the form, however.

And yes, Chin Woo Association founded by Hua YuanJia (Fok Yuen Gap in cantonese) is also known as Jing Wu, Jing Mo, etc.

If you know more about Shiu Hon Sang, Hung Gar, etc please let us know!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TopCrusader View Post
    Hi Lance,
    I do not know specifically what Hung Gar Bruce learned. Do you have any sources of information about Lee's Hung Gar training? Because I have never discovered any reliable information that say that Shiu Hon Sang indeed taught Bruce Hung Gar. Please enlighten me if you know more.
    As far as what Hung Gar Bruce knew, I am not 100% certain. Two specific movements he has demonstrated for the camera are the tiger claw & crane beak. He performs them for the 1965 screen-test that got him the Green Hornet role. There is also pictures from various times of Lee demonstrating the Tiger Claw (to the face) and Crane beak attacks on his students.
    Also, his first student Jesse Glover says in his book that he learned a Hung form from Bruce Lee and performed it at several demonstrations on the west coast, circa 1959-1963. Jesse never mentions a specific name for the form, however.

And yes, Chin Woo Association founded by Hua YuanJia (Fok Yuen Gap in cantonese) is also known as Jing Wu, Jing Mo, etc.

If you know more about Shiu Hon Sang, Hung Gar, etc please let us know!
    Thanks
    ืHello TopCrusader ,

My information on bruce ' s hung gar is the same as yours , besides what ' s the titile of Jesse Glover ' s book do you have anyway ? I got a book called Bruce Lee
    transition from wing chun into JKD , it tells about the story of bruce with his friendship with Jesse Glover and the people who were hanging around with these people at that time .

But TopCrusader ! Man ! To really research this particular man named Bruce Lee requires constant reading of materials from magazines , books and anything you could find and even on the internet . But like you said bruce trained with Sifu Siu Hon Sang though before bruce himself passed away . I did ' nt even know that Sifu Siu was a hung gar practitioner until I read your thread on Sifu Siu , I really thought that Sifu Siu was northern eagleclaw but no he was hung gar . And Shek Kin was northern style kung fu . But we have to keep researching which is what
    I ' m doing now .

Take Care ,
    Lance