Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Challenge for Combat SC

Challenge for Combat SC

As a preface, I'd like to say I Love Combat SC... now here's the "challenge" part. How hard would it be to develop a basic throwing/counter throwing syllabus that all TCMA could adopt and start practicing regardless of their style?

And then add about the blue belt level of BJJ techs with the intent being not to win a BJJ or grappling match, just enough techniques for how a TCMA guy can get back up if a guy's trying to hold him down.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    As a preface, I'd like to say I Love Combat SC... now here's the "challenge" part. How hard would it be to develop a basic throwing/counter throwing syllabus that all TCMA could adopt and start practicing regardless of their style?

And then add about the blue belt level of BJJ techs with the intent being not to win a BJJ or grappling match, just enough techniques for how a TCMA guy can get back up if a guy's trying to hold him down.

This would be a great idea. The problem is that many tcma teachers believe and still teach that "everything is in the forms" and spend a lot of time doing forms.

teaching kung fu for fighting doesnt make money. theres lots of good teachers without a single student because guess what, supply and demand. most kungf fu people now are 30 to 60 year old aging people who miss the 70s and take kung fu for nalstalgia.
    my first teacher was working in a restarurant at 50 years old. shamefully to say i also abandoned him because i was young and ignorant about kung fu.

real kung fu should be given freely. spirit of kung fu is worth more than 50 bucks a month to kiss the ass of some 40 year old crackers with arthritis and all kinds of weird diseases who misses the old days . thats mental and spiritual castration.

the bruce lee exploitaion days are long over. if u wanna make money move too mma. the gracies hand out certs for seminars now. stop exploiting kung fu. how much is ur soul worth? the spirit of a warrior isnt sold its given freely and earned.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-12-2010 at 09:39 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousPower View Post
    This would be a great idea. The problem is that many tcma teachers believe and still teach that "everything is in the forms" and spend a lot of time doing forms.
    Forms are mostly throws. Take the throws out and train them.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post

The truest words I have read all day

IMO this doesn't work... take osoto gari. It's the big reaping throw of Judo. A lot of TCMA forms have this motion in them.

In Judo - it's the first throw you learn and often one the most difficult to pull off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nESyIcul344 I always tell young Judoka that the trick is to be "cheek to cheek with your nose to your toes". Get in tight and drive... anyway... the forms don't do this or highlight this. People would step out and not get tossed.

If they drilled it after having basic SC - they'd do it right.

---

Besides - basic SC training looks bad @ss. Why wouldn't someone want to learn it?

the forms don't do this or highlight this. People would step out and not get tossed.
    That's what the teacher is for.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

This would be a great idea, but people have to want to change who are going to change. In other words, "teh deadlyz" will say they do not need such a program because the all mighty drop into a horse stance and elbow the back of the head is still the rage with them. Most who are open minded to this kind of additional cross training and learning probably already are.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

That's what the teacher is for.
    Dude you moderate - haven't you been reading the last two-million posts?

I think getting some SC training methods into traditional schools would clear up oh-so-much cr@p.

how do u motivate a 30 year old man child to that kind of training?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

our system 8 step praying mantis has Shuai chiao , it is taught in the mid levels and working incredibly well with our joinlocking and applications.

However it was aded by someone whom MASTERED 8 step over several decaeds of constand and daily pratice. This is the problem no adays before you can change a complete system you have to know it backwards and forwards hence (master)

If you havent mastered it its not your right to change it. personally you can add whatever yo want to your training but to make a world wide change and teach it this new way will never happen unless the lineage holder/owner of the system and has mastered this system does it.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

here is a list of the SC throws in 8 step mantis, feel free to take these look them up and have someone teach them to you
    Attachment 5847
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Blog Entries
    The throwing skill can be integrated into any style without change in the original style. It's not difficult to get a SC or Judo book and pick up 8 or 10 throws and train with your partner daily. The difficulty is not the throw itself but how to use kicks, punches to create a chance for your throw. Since none SC or none Judo guys will have the advantage of not familiar with SC jacket of Judo Gi, the no-gi throws will be much easier for them to pick up (many SC and Judo guys have problem to switch from gi to no-gi).

It will be a good idea that in your free sparring, you try to achieve a head lock, under hook, over hook, waist hold, bear hug, ... If you can do that with your boxing gloves on, you are already 75% there. The rest of the 25% is just to let your body weight and gravity to do the job for you.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-12-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

It will be a good idea that in your free sparring, you try to achieve a head lock, under hook, over hook, waist hold, bear hug, ... If you can do that with your boxing gloves on, you are already 75% there. The rest of the 25% is just to let your body weight and gravity to do the job for you.
    See - this is what I'm talking about - we should have a set of standards that schools on this board could adopt and that people on this board would agree to and call those schools "KFM Approved Fighting School"

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    here is a list of the SC throws in 8 step mantis, feel free to take these look them up and have someone teach them to you
    Attachment 5847
    But - again - I'm just going to say it - all systems of TCMA can claim similar moves. They can show them in their forms and point them out in old manuscripts and everything...

The application is where they have problems. I tell people to try the throws against each other in a friendly judo style match at your school. I have a feeling that they'd learn a lot about the throws by doing that. Things like body positioning, off balancing your opponent, when to execute the throw- etc. Do that for like three weeks and it changes everything.