Thread: I chuan/ Yi quan...

I chuan/ Yi quan...

I've heard there are two versions (styles?). One is an abridged form having only chi kung, and the other is the full form having equal parts chi kung and martial art. Anyone know how to designate one from the other? Are the names different, or different lineage, etc? Thanks.

cantonese/mandarin pronunciation...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

I would say it's the type of romanization used rather than Cantonese/Mandarin.

Wade–Giles (I-Chuan)
    vs
    Pinyin (Yi Quan)

Anyway, same art, different romanization

if u have ipod and iphones u gotta have the i chuan. its the latest craze

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    if u have ipod and iphones u gotta have the i chuan. its the latest craze
    I have an iQuan. You have to stand very still while using it or you don't get good reception.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by Nfrisco4now View Post
    I've heard there are two versions (styles?). One is an abridged form having only chi kung, and the other is the full form having equal parts chi kung and martial art. Anyone know how to designate one from the other? Are the names different, or different lineage, etc? Thanks.
    Somewhere, long ago, I saw a I Chuan presentation, and it didn't seem there was a whole lot to it.

Then, later, I was doing research and came across some book or video someplace that showed that it WAS a WHOLE STYLE. Along with some info that how some of the makers of modern karate studied I Chuan (I think Kyokushin or Oyama or somebody like that). Anyways they had a lot more than just a few things. I think it was some Japanese videos.

Oh, here it is. They call it in Japan: Taikiken.

A version with only standing exercises doesn't make sense--it would no longer be yiquan without the fight training.

The confusion may come from the fact that Wang Xiangshai taught health cultivation techniques at hospitals, based on his own experiences. Beginners in yi quan usually start with the basic "health posture" to tone the body for later work. Perhaps this has lead to the assumption that yiquan has a branch that is only for health cultivation.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity