Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: qi building stance

for those interested I found a free translation of the Nei Yeh at www.stillness.com

Quote Originally Posted by tiaji1983 View Post
    for those interested I found a free translation of the Nei Yeh at www.stillness.com
    Roth, the translation used at your link, has become the default english translation. It is difficult to find other english translations. If you can find a translation of the complete Kuan Tzu, which I also have, you can find it as the 49th chapter. There are also 3 other chapters in the Kuan Tzu, thought to have been derived from chapter 49, chapters 36, 37, and 38. Each chapter has a title as well, but I do not have the Kuan Tzu with me her at work, so if anyone is interested in the titles let know and I'll post them later.

I can provide a pdf of Roth's translation for anyone interested.
    I even keep a copy of the Nei-yeh on my cell phone as well as Huang Po, Lao Tzu, and Hui-Neng.

The Nei-yeh, btw is based upon an oral traditon that some believe may go back to around 1,000-1,500 BC or so.

It may be noted by readers that the teachings of the Nei-yeh bear a striking resemblance to Buddhist thought and if it does document an ancient oral tradition, it predates Buddhism.
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 10-17-2010 at 01:09 AM.

I would be very interested in the translations.

I would be very interested in the translations.
    PM me your email and I'll send you the pdf of Roth's translation sometime tomorrow when I get home from work. I don’t have the Kuan Tzu on pdf. If you try to get a translation off of Amazon it is hard to find the complete Kuan Tzu and it is very expensive, over $100. I will see if I kept a record of where I got my copy and I'll send you the link. I canMt remember how much I paid, off hand but it was much less than Amazon and it includes the completer Chinese text as well, for those who read Chinese.

I was having issues sending pm, so I sent an email instead. Hope you dont mind. Thank you.

Anyone have any insight in Daoist Internal Alchemy?

When I asked my teacher about it, he told me its just clear the mind, sit and breath. He said to inhale, at peack of inhale swallow your saliva, follow it to your dantien, and exhale. It creates a warm sensation. He said do 9 breaths then just sit. Nothing else was needed.

Does that sound correct? Or is there more to it and hes just not teaching me yet? Im asking because people are trying to sell it by writting long books and charging $30-$40 dollars. To me it thats all there is to it, that is not Daoist, thats robbery.

Anyone have any insight in Daoist Internal Alchemy?

When I asked my teacher about it, he told me its just clear the mind, sit and breath. He said to inhale, at peack of inhale swallow your saliva, follow it to your dantien, and exhale. It creates a warm sensation. He said do 9 breaths then just sit. Nothing else was needed.

Does that sound correct? Or is there more to it and hes just not teaching me yet? Im asking because people are trying to sell it by writting long books and charging $30-$40 dollars. To me it thats all there is to it, that is not Daoist, thats robbery.
    Hi taiji1983,

Yes its fine you emailed me. I forgot I provided my email in my profile. I answered your email a little while ago.

There are many types of Taoist Internal Alchemy, so it is entirely possible your instructor is telling you the truth. It is also possible he means that is all you need to do for now.

It is also possible he knows it is mostly a lot of hooey!. There are many old time Taoists who believed it was hooey as well and wrote about it. Liu I-Ming was one who believed it was all metaphor, symbolic representation, for less exotic processes. Liu I-Ming was a scholar of Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism in the 1700's.

I forgot to recommend this book: "Taoism: The Enduring Tradition" By Russel Kirkland. It is, so far, the most in depth book on the history of Taoism in English. It will shatter many common and distorted beliefs about what is known about the history of Taoism.

Lao Tzu was written by more than one person. Chuang Tzu, more than one person, although they believe some of it was written by Chuang Tzu himself. There are many, many versions and variations of Taoism, as many or more than other religions. There was and is no ONE expression or even an original expression of Taoism, in fact Taoism is a modern term. The practitioners never called themselves Taoists. There was a lot of bleed through between Confucianism, Buddhism and Taoism. Some Confucianists had Taoist beliefs, some Taoists had Confucian beliefs, some Buddhists had Taoist beliefs, etc. Not all Taoists were hermits in the mountains or non-conformists. Some were government officials, scholars, etc. so on and so forth. I highly recommend the book!

Thank you Scott.

Ill talk to my teacher today about that.

Thank you, I will definately check out both of the books you suggested.