Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: qi building stance

qi building stance

http://www.qigonghealth.co.uk/media/_14_1226504885.jpg

Hi all. Just need some info from people with more experience. I have been adding qi gung to my kung fu practice for about 2 yrs now. Have done a few courses here in Vancouver. I know two qi gung sets and practice them most every day. I have never felt anything while doing qi gung. No burning in my hands, energy moving in the body. Only thing I feel is the obvious shaking from holding stances and the sense of discipline that comes from daily practice. After talking to a taiji person this weekend he informed me all you need is the basic qi building stance position. What is your opinion's?

Hi frankiemantis,

Standing meditation is an excellent start for chi building.

Please check out my thread "Dailogue(sic): A Public Service Announcement" currently on page 2 in the Kung Fu Forum for a little info on standing meditation.

I would suggest that you find someone to teach you the correct posture and train it in front of them for a while

Books with insights: Warriors of Stillness Volume I and II by Diepersloot

mickey

begin only with sitting meditation and find a proper teacher. qigong is not a form.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Standing qigong or zhan zhuang is essential to "building qi".

I feel like you should be doing Zhan Zhuang for a bit before you ever start doing moving sets. But that's just my opinion.

Basic Internal Training

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    begin only with sitting meditation and find a proper teacher. qigong is not a form.
    Wow. And I thought you were only showing up on this thread to cause trouble.

Listen to the Iron Anus. There is depth in what he says.

jd
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Greetings,

Both standing and sitting methods are good. If you choose to start with sitting meditation, you should find someone to teach you that as well.

mickey

Blog Entries
    If you repeat the last move of Yang/Chang Taiji form 合太極(He Taiji), you may be able to feel your Qi rightway. It's called 藏氣(Zang Qi) in Taiji training.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-12-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks for all the info. I have practiced zen Buddhism in the past so I have an idea how to do sitting meditation. I do not have a teacher in meditation or qi gung. As I said before I have learned two qi gung set's from a sifu and have been practicing them on my own. would it be better to take up xing yi or taiji under a teacher here in Vancouver to better understand and feel qi ?

Qi quantity and flow is a naturally occurring function/process of a healthy mind and body. It is a misunderstanding that Qi requires any cultivation at all.

Think of water flowing down a river. It flows according to its own nature, not according to our wish for it to be watery. You cannot make water, more watery, you cannot force water to act against its nature! It does what it does because that is its nature. If one wishes to use water for their own purposes, it behooves one to understand the principles of water and work according to those principles.

The only thing that impedes water is something getting in the way of its natural flow. When a barrier occurs, water will continue to follow its nature by filling up the basin and then overflow and continue upon its merry way. If the water cannot continue to flow it becomes stagnant and contaminated.

It is just so with Qi. It is the stagnation of Qi’s natural flow that causes problems for us. The body and/or mind does not create, cultivate or store Qi; it merely uses Qi that is available according to the naturally occurring functions of the body and Qi.

Qi is everywhere and always available for use. There is no scarcity of Qi anywhere in nature. However, if you impede your natural Qi flow through mental barriers, mostly created by emotional stresses, or through physical barriers, mostly created by physical injury, lack of exercise, poor diet, lack of sleep, impure water and air and/or exposure to other unhealthy substances, then you may experience what has been called a blockage of Qi. This blockage is not an absence of Qi, but an impediment to its natural function/flow.

The best way to improve your Qi flow is to be sure you do as little as possible to impeded its natural function. This is accomplished by keeping a healthy body and calm mind. There is no need to perform any form of Qi Gong exercises, there is no need to stand, sit, lie down etc. as a formal exercise. In fact, any of these forms, performed improperly, that is, for too long, or under less than optimal conditions, can be just as harmful as beneficial.

The emphasis above should on the word “need”, there being no “need” is not the same thing as saying these exercises are of no benefit. It is only that they are NOT “necessary” for a healthy natural flow of Qi. The belief that one “must” perform Qi Gong exercise in order to maintain a healthy quantity of Qi is a fantasy, and/or a misunderstanding and misapplication of the principles of Qi and Tao.

Mediation allows the mind to relax and let go of emotional attachments that impede natural Qi flow, therefore your Zen practice should be sufficient. Exercises of any kind, performed in a regular manner, and not to excess, will also improve the natural flow of Qi within your body. And finally, eliminating, as much as possible, all substances that poison and damage the body will allow Qi to flow naturally, according to its own principles, throughout your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Qi quantity and flow is a naturally occurring function/process of a healthy mind and body. It is a misunderstanding that Qi requires any cultivation at all.
    Qi exists naturally in live person. No qi, no life.

Qigong is an exercise/process used to increase the level of qi and open channels in the body.

Each person's qi level or amount is different at any one time. Qigong can be used to rejuvenate, heal, recover or just to supplement.

Think of water flowing down a river. It flows according to its own nature, not according to our wish for it to be watery. You cannot make water, more watery, you cannot force water to act against its nature! It does what it does because that is its nature. If one wishes to use water for their own purposes, it behooves one to understand the principles of water and work according to those principles.

The only thing that impedes water is something getting in the way of its natural flow. When a barrier occurs, water will continue to follow its nature by filling up the basin and then overflow and continue upon its merry way. If the water cannot continue to flow it becomes stagnant and contaminated.
    Analogy is good for the flow of qi, does not address the creation of qi.

It is just so with Qi. It is the stagnation of Qi’s natural flow that causes problems for us. The body and/or mind does not create, cultivate or store Qi; it merely uses Qi that is available according to the naturally occurring functions of the body and Qi.
    This is incorrect. Two main sources of Qi are Universal and through the body processes (metabolism).

Qigong increases the metabolic rate and/or connects to the universal source or both.

Qi is everywhere and always available for use. There is no scarcity of Qi anywhere in nature. However, if you impede your natural Qi flow through mental barriers, mostly created by emotional stresses, or through physical barriers, mostly created by physical injury, lack of exercise, poor diet, lack of sleep, impure water and air and/or exposure to other unhealthy substances, then you may experience what has been called a blockage of Qi. This blockage is not an absence of Qi, but an impediment to its natural function/flow.

The best way to improve your Qi flow is to be sure you do as little as possible to impeded its natural function. This is accomplished by keeping a healthy body and calm mind. There is no need to perform any form of Qi Gong exercises, there is no need to stand, sit, lie down etc. as a formal exercise. In fact, any of these forms, performed improperly, that is, for too long, or under less than optimal conditions, can be just as harmful as beneficial.

The emphasis above should on the word “need”, there being no “need” is not the same thing as saying these exercises are of no benefit. It is only that they are NOT “necessary” for a healthy natural flow of Qi. The belief that one “must” perform Qi Gong exercise in order to maintain a healthy quantity of Qi is a fantasy, and/or a misunderstanding and misapplication of the principles of Qi and Tao.
    Yes, I've met some of the "just relax and everything will come back" people. This works "to some extent" in some people but others may have larger problems. Practicing a qigong will resolve the problem quicker than just relaxing. Relaxation is a very basic requirement in qigong.

Mediation allows the mind to relax and let go of emotional attachments that impede natural Qi flow, therefore your Zen practice should be sufficient. Exercises of any kind, performed in a regular manner, and not to excess, will also improve the natural flow of Qi within your body. And finally, eliminating, as much as possible, all substances that poison and damage the body will allow Qi to flow naturally, according to its own principles, throughout your body.

While I'm an advocate of Qigong I find there's a lot of krap out there so it also depends on the qigong spoken about.

Hi Scott R. Brown,

I have seen that kind of Qi cultivation that you mentioned in your first paragraph in practice. It is called Falun Gong and it gives me a bad case of the WILLIES. I have walked by those Falun guys in practice many a time. There is nothing going on inside. Intention, yi, is important; for Qi follows Yi.

The viewpoint you express. Was it garnered from a Chinese, post 1949, viewpoint?

Just curious.

mickey

Hi mickey,

No I did not get my knowledge of Qi from anyone's post, but from direct experience.

Hi wolveri,

It is an all too common misunderstanding that Qi may be created. This is not true, as E=mc2 demonstrates. There is no creation, or storage of Qi. Qi exists already, it flows naturally according to its own nature, which is similar to the properties of water.

The processes/exercises you are referring to only increases a person's "capacity" to use Qi, not create Qi. But to the unknowlegable, the misled or those who do not understand or perceive clearly it "appears" that one has increased their quantity of Qi. Since it flows more easily, more is made avaiable, or rather, what is available is used more efficiently, giving the" appearance" more has been created.

Mickey,

Intention is not necessary. Qi is mechanical, so to speak, in nature, just as water. It follows its own nature. Once one unblocks their barriers to its free flow it is available through the body's natural function and responses to action/movement and the mind's own inherent/natural use of intention.

It is a misunderstanding of the properties of Qi and Tao to think one actually sends Qi anywhere through special exercises of mind and/or body. Qi goes where it is needed, this is its nature, as it is needed as long as one does not inhibit its natural flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post

Hi wolveri,

It is an all too common misunderstanding that Qi may be created. This is not true, as E=mc2 demonstrates. There is no creation, or storage of Qi. Qi exists already, it flows naturally according to its own nature, which is similar to the properties of water.

The processes/exercises you are referring to only increases a person's "capacity" to use Qi, not create Qi. But to the unknowlegable, the misled or those who do not understand or perceive clearly it "appears" that one has increased their quantity of Qi. Since it flows more easily, more is made avaiable, or rather, what is available is used more efficiently, giving the" appearance" more has been created.
    Scott, aside from your quote of E=MC2 where are you getting this information? If this is only from your experience then you are clearly missing something.

Let me ask this, Can Qi be compressed and released?

Quote Originally Posted by woliveri View Post
    Scott, aside from your quote of E=MC2 where are you getting this information? If this is only from your experience then you are clearly missing something.

Let me ask this, Can Qi be compressed and released?
    Hi wolveri,

I do not get my information from anyone, but from direct experience.

It is like the difference between a person who learns about the taste of an orange by reading books and taking classes from someone who has tasted an orange and a person who has tasted an orange directly, for himself.

The one only knows what he has been taught according to a specific and mostly narrow perspective, the other knows directly from his own experience.

It is my contention that most people have been taught according tradition without questioning and experiencing independently, separate from their tradition. This is where true knowledge comes from. Not that the misunderstandings are intentionally passed on. Not everyone has the same capacities, or ability to communicate their direct experiences accurately or without attending misconception.

This is common for all experiences. No two people have the same capacity to explain the taste of an orange in a comprehensible manner to others. Even a skilled explainer cannot account for the varying capacities of his hearers, who will be doing the misinterpretation.

Concerning compression and projection:

I do not know to what specifics you are referring. If you are referring to the compression of Qi behind a barrier in order to force the collapse of the barrier, this does not occur as supposed, and a misconception/misunderstanding!

If you are referring to the comprssion of Qi for expansion/projection outside the body, this too is a misconception/misunderstanding!

If you are referring to another form, please be more specific, at any rate it is most likely, also a misconception/misunderstanding!

It appears that only YOU have experience and only YOU have the answers so to that what should I reply?

peace.