Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Bajiquan

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Not enough to know wushu when you see it.
    Perhaps you are the one who cannot differentiate between wu shu and wu shu-esque?

as pointed out

ba ji stance is more compact or with high horse stance.

--

Not enough to know wushu when you see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Perhaps you are the one who cannot differentiate between wu shu and wu shu-esque?
    evidently he can - here's the same form, being done at a wushu tournament - apparently the form you linked to is one of the standardized baji wushu routines (a number of the comments stated the same thing...)

http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/5278195-1130869430.html

here's the same form being done by a "Taoist monk" (apparently baji is BIG at wu dang...)
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/782736/ba_ji_quan/
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 05-07-2011 at 06:04 PM.

i think those kind of performances take away your dignity. symbolically its the castrated chinaman dancing in celebration of his feminity and inferiority.
    Last edited by bawang; 05-07-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i think those kind of performances take away your dignity.

i think those kind of performances take away your dignity. symbolically its the castrated chinaman dancing in celebration of his feminity and inferiority.
    Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfjzK...eature=related
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

in these performances the weak man of asia revel and rejoice in his weakness and impotence. the bickering gossip and mind games reflect the chinese kung fu community, a den of tricksters, fornicators and h0m0sexuals

i dont know if you guys know this, but in the ancient times generals blamed the kung fu community for the deaths of tens of thousands of soldiers. if general qi saw those perfformance 500 years ago the performers would have been immediately beheaded
    Last edited by bawang; 05-07-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

in these performances the weak man of asia revel and rejoice in his weakness and impotence. the bickering gossip and mind games reflect the chinese kung fu community, a den of tricksters, fornicators and h0m0sexuals

i dont know if you guys know this, but in the ancient times generals blamed the kung fu community for the deaths of tens of thousands of soldiers. if general qi saw those perfformance 500 years ago he would have been immediately beheaded
    But look where we are now in society...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H5I6y1Qvz0
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    evidently he can - here's the same form, being done at a wushu tournament - apparently the form you linked to is one of the standardized baji wushu routines (a number of the comments stated the same thing...)

here's the same form being done by a "Taoist monk" (apparently baji is BIG at wu dang...)
    I watched the Wudang one but the other one is taking so long to load that by the time that it loads, David Jamieson and Bawang will have found authentic kung fu schools that actually accept them as students.

Seriously though, I would be interested in Omarthefish's take on these videos and their wushu-ness as in modern performance forms or as wushu-ness as in fighting art forms.

Question:
    What do you mean by nobody else shouts? Do you mean in Baji or a more broader context?
    Answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    I suppose it's like kiai within the Japanese schools of thought. He means within Bajiquan, since it is stated within the quanpu as part of the system's fundamental theories.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post

Yep. I've been to quite a number or those which is why I could recognize the demo from the opening post immediately as a modern standardized form. I emphasized "standardized because that's the key point, not "wushu". Inside of China, "wushu" doesn't so narrowly refer to modern standardized MA. Traditional forms in China are often referred to a "traditional wushu". What we call "wushu", the mainland Chinese call "modern wushu". The basic meaning of the word "wushu" after all, just means "martial arts".

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    Omar what do you think about Zhou Jingxuan's Bajiquan? What lineage is he from also?

Just sheer curiosity.

Cheers,

-V
    To copy and past from a post I made back on page 3:
    Zhou Jingxuan:
    His stuff comes from Wu Xiufeng, a close relation to the Wu family. I love his speed and explosiveness but again, lots of Pigua in his stuff. He also lacks the kind of really heavy, solid root that the Wu-Tan guys tend to get so well. Just for his speed alone though he makes my list of favorite 3 or 5 online Baji performers.
    Edit:
    Wu Xiufeng obviously is part of the Wu family. I mean he is a close relation to Wu Lianzhi.
    Last edited by omarthefish; 05-07-2011 at 09:29 PM.

More "excellent" Bajiquan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR9tEzAbLU0

Purple velvet pajamas on the right is my Shifu...at 70 years old.

I'm the one in the middle at the back of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    Question:

Answer:

Yep. I've been to quite a number or those which is why I could recognize the demo from the opening post immediately as a modern standardized form. I emphasized "standardized because that's the key point, not "wushu". Inside of China, "wushu" doesn't so narrowly refer to modern standardized MA. Traditional forms in China are often referred to a "traditional wushu". What we call "wushu", the mainland Chinese call "modern wushu". The basic meaning of the word "wushu" after all, just means "martial arts".

To copy and past from a post I made back on page 3:
    Edit:
    Wu Xiufeng obviously is part of the Wu family. I mean he is a close relation to Wu Lianzhi.
    Very interesting take and thank you.

I am just curious why on a Chinese site the videos posted by Taai Gihk Yahn were referred to as Wushu and not modern Wushu?

Cuz those clips were both from mainlaind China. Inside of China, nobody really cares. "Wushu", to a PRC Chinese dude just means "martial arts". "Modern" and "traditional" are just adjectives you can add to be more specific. In general, colloquial Chinese speech, it's all just "wushu".

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    Cuz those clips were both from mainlaind China. Inside of China, nobody really cares. "Wushu", to a PRC Chinese dude just means "martial arts". "Modern" and "traditional" are just adjectives you can add to be more specific. In general, colloquial Chinese speech, it's all just "wushu".
    Oh, I see.....