Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Bajiquan

Wow, An old thread.

Many web links do not work any more.

Such is the short life of a website.

John Cena

John Cena heralds his '6th move of doom' dropping in Shanghai next month
    The city will sink another centimetre...
    By Kenny Ong
    Posted: Tuesday August 7 2018 3:35PM

Image: HBO Films

When it was announced late last month that WWE Live would return to Shanghai on September 1, we could not see the professional wrestler, actor, philanthropist, television host and rapper John Cena among the lineup of vascular talents set to appear. But now, things have escalated quickly. Not only is he confirmed for the show, he has also announced plans to debut his '6th move of doom' at the show.

via gfycat

Image: via Twitter (VPN required)

Cena, a marquee talent of the WWE franchise since the early 2000s, is known for five spectacular 'moves of doom' – the diving shoulder block, the sitout hip toss, the side-release spinout powerbomb, the Five Knuckle Shuffle and the Attitude Adjustment – all done to lead up to his 'victories'.

via gfycat

via gfycat

In a video interview released by WWE, Cena reveals more about this '6th move of doom' which he has been fine-tuning while training in Tianjin with Jackie Chan's stunt team. Yes, John Cena is training with Jackie Chan's stunt team. If anything, that says all you need to know about WWE.

VPN required.

This '6th move of doom', according to Cena, is based on bajiquan, a Chinese martial art from Hebei province. He goes on to say, 'I couldn’t think of a better way to show my appreciation for China, Chinese people and Chinese culture than to debut what I think is a finishing move that will provide me much victory in Shanghai on Sept 1.'

Some might call that pandering, while others might call it being a 'cultural ambassador'. Yes, WWE wrestling, this confluence of athleticism, mythology, spectacle, politics and dramatic acting, is objectively a cultural exchange of sorts... for better or worse. You could also say John Cena's '6th move of doom' is a textbook case of Shanghai's iconic haipai, or 'east meets west' aesthetics. So this city is really the perfect place for the move's debut.
    3 threads that I never thought would be relevant together for mutual posting:
    Celebrities studying martial arts?
    Mma & wwe
    Bajiquan
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

wow

An Jianqiu

FEATURE / ART & CULTURE
    Boxer marshals art to sustain family legacy
    Lu Feiran Tang Dafei Zhou Shengjie
    18:49 UTC+8, 2020-01-03
    People
    Shot by Tang Dafei and Zhou Shengjie. Edited by Tang Dafei. Subtitles by Wang Xinzhou and Andy Boreham.

An Jianqiu displays black-and-white portraits of five generations of ancestors in his Shanghai martial arts club. At 38, he is the inheritor of the noble tradition of Chinese boxing and an ardent promoter of wushu.

An, born in Shandong Province, is not content to limit his scope to locals. He makes regular trips to Europe to hold workshops and has trained more than 1,000 foreign students.

“Wushu is about defending and attacking,” he says, “but it is also about cultivating one’s personality and inner quality.”

Tang Dafei / SHINE

An is the inheritor of bajiquan, a specialty of his family’s wushu that originated from Shaolin boxing.

An is neither tall nor beefy, but he possesses power in almost every part of his body — palms, shoulders, waist and knees. It’s the accumulation of training and practice that began when he was 6.

“My childhood was very different from others’,” he says. “I seldom had leisure time. Outside of school, it was wushu practice all the time, in the early morning and late at night, from basic body training to different styles of boxing.”

An had a very strict father, who was a master of the art. An describes him as a “traditional” man of extreme self-restraint, who wanted to pass on the same strict regime of standards to his son. There was a time, An says, when he loathed his father for depriving him of a normal childhood and treating him so harshly.

“Sometimes he could be violent,” An says. “I remember that I had very limited time to play video games back then. One time when he found me playing games secretly, he smashed the console right in front of my eyes.”

However, all that strictness eventually bred a son of superior boxing skills. An even mastered bajiquan, a specialty of his family’s wushu.

Bajiquan originated from Shaolin boxing. It features explosive, short-range power and relies heavily on elbow and shoulder strikes. It requires practitioners to parry attacks from all directions and strike back to the extremes of their power.

“You don’t use any weapons in bajiquan; you use your body parts as weapons,” An explains. “You have to harden your body parts, even your palms. At the same time, you need to cultivate your qi (energy flow) so that you can strike as swiftly and powerfully as possible. That’s why bajiquan, and Chinese wushu in general, is not only an art of fighting, but also an art of self-cultivation.”

According to local county annals, the first of the An family ancestors was An Lirui, a constable charged with catching criminals in the city of Tangshan in Hebei Province. He studied boxing with a Shaolin monk who had resumed secular life. An Lirui’s son An Jihai was a chef but learned wushu and then passed his skills on to his son and grandson, who is An’s father.

Tang Dafei / SHINE

An teaches Chinese boxing to foreigners, both at home and abroad.

All the rigorous discipline demanded by that father eventually paid off. An Jianqiu began winning national championships in boxing at about the age of 20 and became a coach at the Beijing Language and Culture University. There, he had his first experience teaching wushu to foreign students.

“I find that most of my foreign students are truly interested in and respect wushu and Chinese culture in general,” he says. “Maybe that’s why they always persevere in practicing.”

Some European students, when they returned to their home countries, invited An to come and hold workshops. For the past several years, he has held workshops in Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece and about six other countries.

He schedules sessions of seven to 10 days, six hours each day. Every session has a theme, such as how to use bajiquan in actual combat.

His teaching videos can be found on YouTube. He is said to be one of the few Chinese wushu masters willing to teach actual combat skills.

“I find that Western students are respectful toward the etiquette and doctrines I ask them to follow,” he says. “Such rituals give them a sense of seriousness and help them get into the groove.”

At the same time, Western students don’t care about “face” in combat. In training, they are perfectly willing to bring their full strength to bear against an opponent, without worrying about hurting his feelings.

“This is obviously a cultural difference,” An says. “When I teach Chinese students, I often tell them to save each other’s ‘face,’ a concept deeply rooted in Chinese culture. But Western students don’t really care about that. They can fight hard in the ring and then hug each other afterward and still be friends.”

An says he started out uncertain about his future. Should he continue the family tradition of promoting wushu or perhaps maybe try something new?

He did, in fact, start to do some business with friends before he went into a long meditation about what kind of man he wanted to be. Reflecting on his family’s history, he finally decided to devote the rest of his life to wushu, but he’s not sure if his daughter will follow in his footsteps.

“Of course, I will give her guidance, but it’s up to fate to decide whether she will continue the same path,” An says. “To me, it is the same teaching my child as teaching anyone else.”

Source: SHINE Editor: Zhang Liuhao
    Anyone know this master?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

IMO, this brief vid is one of the better ones I’ve seen relating to Bajiquan and adapting aspects of it to competitive fighting. I’d like to see an MMA fighter who incorporates Baji into his style. If done correctly, I think it would be very effective, and different from what ‘everybody else’ is doing. Perhaps somebody in China already is. I almost never watch UFC/MMA fighting anymore at all.

Baji, for argument sake, always seemed to be a branch of Tong Bei Quan when I look at it, and practice it. It moves like a Luohan to me. Might be my bias interpretation again lol, just wonderin if anyone else see that, or knows why I see that correlation between Baji and Tong Bei Quan.

Amituofo
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator