Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Bajiquan

I have to agree with some other practitioners on here it looks great from a performing point of view but is empty of baji intent.

Im from liu lineage and recognize good baji where i see it irrespective of family/club etc(politics isnt my game).

TBH i dislike this video.

However i do think lu bao chun has great fajing, meng cun(wu) have great applications(but to many forms), the sifu from tian jin has the best combat apps regarding baji and modern tactics imo(or against modern).

Liu lineage i like the elbow techniques and the spear like fajing, which is quite different from the other families and thats why i train in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C42rLogT-lk

Theres more stuff on my page so feel free if this baji captures your eye.
    There is no technique that speed cannot defeat......

yes.

Ma brought Ba Ji into central kuo shu guan in Nan king in late 1920s.

Ba Ji was popular in both civilian and military kuo shu guan in 1930s.

Bajiquan

This is also nice

that was a good show, period. I liked the baji episode, also like the white crane episode and most of the others. not all of them are subtitled on youtube, but I watched them all anyway.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I always like this series.
    Kung fu Quest was awesome.

What was always clear was how the application in combat/sparring was ALWAYS different than in the drills.
    You would get some "flashes" of technique once and awhile, but typically it ended up looking like "kick boxing".

Why?
    From my experience it is usually a combination of gross motor skills over fine motor skills AND the simple fact that the moves are trained in drills to counter attacks and defense that simply do NOT happen that way in free sparring.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    From my experience it is usually a combination of gross motor skills over fine motor skills AND the simple fact that the moves are trained in drills to counter attacks and defense that simply do NOT happen that way in free sparring.
    Sometimes they do happen.

This is part of a longer video (which I cannot find anymore on youtube) of a Baji tournament.

Nice video, but it may have been a somewhat choreographed event - meaning each person gets to show what Baji can do. If you watch it again, they alternate "winning" an encounter. First one person show's their technique and "wins", then the other person gets to show theirs and "wins"

yeah, that does look like a demo. Nice one, though. similar to training throw for throw in judo - I throw, you throw, etc
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I always like this series.
    Kung fu Quest was awesome.

What was always clear was how the application in combat/sparring was ALWAYS different than in the drills.
    You would get some "flashes" of technique once and awhile, but typically it ended up looking like "kick boxing".

Why?
    Very true.

I also find that CMA styles that are highly specialized tend to look less like they're practiced when facing opponents outside of their own style, especially against someone who boxes/kickboxes. As you say, the attacks are not coming as they do in most traditional application drills. The "conventional" boxer/kickboxer isn't just allowing the practitioner into their space, and is also adjusting simply and naturally.

In my observation/experience, CMA styles that are more versatile and less specialized adjust better to such situations, as long as there is a good set of key skills that can work together flexibly and strategically. It's the same concept that makes boxing, MT, BJJ, wrestling, judo, etc., work the way they are practiced.

Realize that my meaning is the practitioner within the system. But IMO, some systems seem to contain that ability to adjust and adapt, or a greater potential for it within them, more than others.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-23-2016 at 04:44 PM.

some interesting applications and drills

Some interesting applications (beginning) and drills (towards the end).

These vids have been posted around here before, but since this is a Baji thread, I feel they must be included here...

Continued next post...
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-25-2016 at 03:48 PM.

...continued from previous post...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Very true.

I also find that CMA styles that are highly specialized tend to look less like they're practiced when facing opponents outside of their own style, especially against someone who boxes/kickboxes. As you say, the attacks are not coming as they do in most traditional application drills. The "conventional" boxer/kickboxer isn't just allowing the practitioner into their space, and is also adjusting simply and naturally.

In my observation/experience, CMA styles that are more versatile and less specialized adjust better to such situations, as long as there is a good set of key skills that can work together flexibly and strategically. It's the same concept that makes boxing, MT, BJJ, wrestling, judo, etc., work the way they are practiced.

Realize that my meaning is the practitioner within the system. But IMO, some systems seem to contain that ability to adjust and adapt, or a greater potential for it within them, more than others.
    The CMA style I practice is one of those that has drills against very specialized attacks - like it's designed for encountering another southern CMA. Fortunately, my instructor is somewhat open minded, so if I see something that I think would not work the same way vs thai boxing and judo or based on my experience bouncing, I'll tell him that I don't think it would work. he asks why and we explore it. It's helped us both to learn more about our different systems.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter