Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Bajiquan

This thread has been good on so many levels, bawang basically spanked the correct with his original post about the clip, only to be shot down because he doesn’t have the real authentic kung fu, several others were argued with because they too couldn’t recognise the real thing, at least according to the thread starter, and then omarthefish came on the thread owned it and the TS with some very insightful and useful posts….

Add to this the love in between two people…who you knew were going to find each other as soon as one of them started posting a few weeks ago and its been a great read

This really gets your day off to an interesting start while sipping the morning coffee, or kool-aid for some.

1. the greatness of baji lies in the straighforwardness or directness.

no flowering or excessive moves or pre moves.

2. it excels in closeness combat.

3. kao from every part of the body is the main signature or characteristic.

4. it is considered the hardest among the hardness. (kang)

and yet there is also lots of gentleness (ruo)

5. needing conditioning of body parts for kao practice

6. needing to learn how to wield extra long pole/spear to get strong and correct body structure and the waist power.

without 5 and 6, everything is in the thin air.

or fluffy.

7. grinding stomp, or stamp is part of the power story.

without 7, it is not baji.

----

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    This thread has been good on so many levels, bawang basically spanked the correct with his original post about the clip, only to be shot down because he doesn’t have the real authentic kung fu,
    Well, that is his fault for not having the real authentic kung fu.

several others were argued with because they too couldn’t recognise the real thing, at least according to the thread starter,
    It was not about not recognizing the real thing. It was about what I found to be a beautifully performed form - stances and postures included. Nothing more.

I did later on post a video that showed the REALZ Baji, which, if memory serves me right, no one conveniently commented on. The form was not that great to look at but just like Omarthefishes form, was real kung fu.

and then omarthefish came on the thread owned it and the TS with some very insightful and useful posts….
    And I am grateful to him, because among other things, he trains Baji, and unlike you and most others in this forum, he is a genuine kung fu student.

Add to this the love in between two people…who you knew were going to find each other as soon as one of them started posting a few weeks ago and its been a great read
    Well, as you know, love makes the world go around....

So, just to round things of. I found the form performed on the clip estetically beautiful and IMHO it did possess some Baji essence. However, as others in this thread, with more experience than me in Baji have pointed out, there are more authentic and genuine ways for the same form.

So, the point is taken. In reality, from my reading on Baji, one of the real deal masters of this style is- Liu Yun Chiao. This is the type of guy, I would go to learn real Baji from. Of course, his forms are not so estetically beautiful, which is of course, another subject matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pRepVNFolo

I did post a clip of him which everybody here seems to have conveniently "forgot".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    Our concept of "root" is very different from the mainstream. I have gone a bit overboard with the search for speed and explosivity and have actually been trying to tone it back a bit to get more stability lately. It's not a balance issue. I mean that sense of smooth, traveling on rails, power. Once I get that though, I'll speed it back up again.
    The static rooting may be important in the beginner training stage but it's not important after you have entered your intermediate or advance training stage. To be able to regain your balance after you lose it is much valuable skill to have.

This is why I strongly dislike the static Taiji push hands. It makes you to be afraid to move your feet around.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-10-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The static rooting may be important in the beginner training stage but it's not important after you have entered your intermediate or advance training stage. To be able to regain your balance after you lose it is much valuable skill to have.

This is why I strongly dislike the static Taiji push hands. It makes you to be afraid to move your feet around.
    kao has to start with body contact or very close range.

so inch power (cun jin) is very important. (inch punch with your whole body)

so the practice of rooting or downward sinking power is very important in ba ji.

tai chi stresses sprialing from dan tian and waist or circling

ba ji stresses kao

both need strong rooting and minute movement or inch power.

static posture is absolutely needed in practice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    static posture is absolutely needed in practice.
    I think "momentum - run your opponent down" is more important than the static posture.

people think baijiquan is so deadly because they stomp their feet and make a big noise
    Last edited by bawang; 05-11-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Hey Wolfen, aren't you supposed to be busy hunting me down for a beatdown or something...

http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35835

It's been 7 years already. I'm starting to get anxious.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    people think baijiquan is so deadly because they stomp their feet and make a big noise
    1. grinding step is common across all styles, such as tai chi and ba gua.

but grinding stomp is highly developed in ba ji.

depending on the shoes you wear and the ground surface (dirt, mattress or grass)

grinding may create jiu sound and stomp creates stomp sound.

when you land your front sole, a counter power from the ground is transferred upto your dan tian. and then you land your heel and sink your posture and power back to the ground. coupled with breathing and voicing heng or ha.

2. in tong bei, it is called deng and ta, you land your front sole and spring up, the power from the ground is transferred to the hand, you land your heel and sink your posture and hand to strike the opponent.

---

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    Hey Wolfen, aren't you supposed to be busy hunting me down for a beatdown or something...

http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35835

It's been 7 years already. I'm starting to get anxious.
    wow it has been 7 years.

me feels me getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I think "momentum - run your opponent down" is more important than the static posture.
    agreed.

but starting and ending posture or body structure are also very important.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
    bai.. ji... quan?

Ohhh! 百雞拳!

Old "Hundred Chicken Fu"

Hundred Chickens scare big noise, scratch feet, all right!
    yes hundred cranes sing at the same time.

bai he qi ming

白鹤齐鸣

or hundred family/school of thoughts struggle to sound louder

bai jia zheng ming

百家争名

---

Here's a Baji set (small frame) that is both good looking and really f'ing effective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfgaxxySGSQ

Smooth, rooted, extremely powerful and all the moves make tactical sense.