Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Bajiquan

I believe it was a sifu su yu chang of the Wu Tang group who used to teach in nyc.

here is the link to david chiang's school in queens
    http://www.wutang.org/
    Last edited by ngokfei; 02-25-2007 at 02:27 PM.

Did Su Yu Chang move away?

sifu su's website

http://pachitanglang.com/

Mike Martello was Sifu Su's representative in NYC. Actually he opened up an actual full time school but something happened and it closed down. I don't know who is running the NYC club anymore since Mike Martello left the school. Here's his bio.
    http://www.geocities.com/mantiscave/mmartello.htm
    Last edited by ngokfei; 02-25-2007 at 06:23 PM.

Bajiquan info

I can't seem to find any clear information on baji, and its driving me nuts. A few questions. Are there (what are the) different branches? Who are the current "lineage holders" or bearers? How many forms does baji have? Any good sites with info would be appreciated. A lineage tree/list would be great.

thanks

in the baji system .. there's 2 forms.. big baji and small baji

Are there (what are the) different branches?

Yes. Lots. A few that come to mind:

- The Wu family headed by Wu Lianzhi.
    - "Huo style" from Huo Diange.
    - The Wutan organization founded by Liu Yunqqiao
    - Zhou Jingxuan. He's up on youtube and not affiliated with any of the 2 I just listed AFAIK.
    - My own branch which while close to Wutan is NOT the same. We come down from Li Shuwen via Zhang Xiangwu.

Who are the current "lineage holders" or bearers?

The most notable are Tony Yang in the Wutan along with a few of Liu's other disciples like Kurt Wong and one or two others who's names I can't remember.

In Xi'an I am a lineage holder myself! heehee I'm under Li Suiyin who learned from Zhang Xiangwu.

Wu Lianzhi claims to be the "grandmaster of all Baji", the "Zhangmenren" but really he's just the head of the Wu family. Wu Zhong was the earliest known Baji master that we can trace anyones lineage back to today. The style predates him but everyone before him was just kind of speculation. Wu Zhong himself only uses nicknames for his teachers as opposed to real names.

A lineage tree/list would be great.

The style is not unified enough for a list like that to be meaningfull. You are unlikely to find such a thing that contains anything more than the direct line from Wu Zhong down to a particular person in the branch. Most people don't bother recording the lineage of the other branches.

How many forms does baji have?

For the most part:

- Xiao Baji
    - Da Baji
    - Baji Lianhuan
    - Jin Gang Ba Da Zhao
    - Baji Duida (2 man set)
    - Spear
    - Sabre
    - Sword (only in certain branches)

One other fairly rare form I forget the name of, "Ying tang ba shi" ? ??? I really can't remember. Essentially it's just the first 5 I listed. Lots of people here and there have additional stuff but those 5 are the core curriculum.
    Last edited by omarthefish; 04-24-2007 at 11:33 PM.

Ive seen Baji teachers who list forms as Yi Lu (first) and Er Lu (Second). I take it it only refers to Xiao baji and dabaji?

you know of any videos of the baji saber form?
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

I've got one on my hard drive but I'm not putting it online.

just curious how different the baji saber would be from any other saber form. does it have any stylistic charactoristics or is it pretty much your avarage shaolin saber form?
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

tiliudao , baji saber has similarities with other saber forms. Of course.

TBut the power generation from Baji also finds his way here.

And that makes it something on its own.

I must say that i do prefer the unarmed form.

About the xiao jia.... I think there are six forms of Xiao Jia.
    treat others like you want that others treat you

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    Are there (what are the) different branches?

Yes. Lots. A few that come to mind:

- The Wu family headed by Wu Lianzhi.
    - "Huo style" from Huo Diange.
    - The Wutan organization founded by Liu Yunqqiao
    - Zhou Jingxuan. He's up on youtube and not affiliated with any of the 2 I just listed AFAIK.
    - My own branch which while close to Wutan is NOT the same. We come down from Li Shuwen via Zhang Xiangwu.

Who are the current "lineage holders" or bearers?

The most notable are Tony Yang in the Wutan along with a few of Liu's other disciples like Kurt Wong and one or two others who's names I can't remember.

In Xi'an I am a lineage holder myself! heehee I'm under Li Suiyin who learned from Zhang Xiangwu.

Wu Lianzhi claims to be the "grandmaster of all Baji", the "Zhangmenren" but really he's just the head of the Wu family. Wu Zhong was the earliest known Baji master that we can trace anyones lineage back to today. The style predates him but everyone before him was just kind of speculation. Wu Zhong himself only uses nicknames for his teachers as opposed to real names.

A lineage tree/list would be great.

The style is not unified enough for a list like that to be meaningfull. You are unlikely to find such a thing that contains anything more than the direct line from Wu Zhong down to a particular person in the branch. Most people don't bother recording the lineage of the other branches.

How many forms does baji have?

For the most part:

- Xiao Baji
    - Da Baji
    - Baji Lianhuan
    - Jin Gang Ba Da Zhao
    - Baji Duida (2 man set)
    - Spear
    - Sabre
    - Sword (only in certain branches)

One other fairly rare form I forget the name of, "Ying tang ba shi" ? ??? I really can't remember. Essentially it's just the first 5 I listed. Lots of people here and there have additional stuff but those 5 are the core curriculum.
    Thanks alot. This info is tough to find (unless my internets skills are diminishing). One question, what exactly is "jin gang ba shi"? It seems like it is a completely different style from what I saw from Zhou Jinxuan on youtube.

edit: oh and what branch is Liu Yun Qiao (and students)?
    Last edited by street_fighter; 04-25-2007 at 05:21 PM.

Yeah.

Although I really truly do love mister Zhou's Baji vids I don't recognize his "jingangdabashi".

What it usually refers to is not a form at all but a set of 8 "trademark" Baji attacks. They are only "form" in the sense that the 5 fists of Xingyi are forms. Just a single attacking combo that is drilled repeatedly. There are 8 of them and that's what the name means:

jin gang: "divine warrior"
    da: great/big
    ba: 8
    shi: moves/stances

Here's a video of Huo branch's Liu Da Kai, and Ba Da Zhou

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnzOCpac7tI

Jin Gang Ba Shi is the same basic idea (doing different "roads" back and forth).

I learned jing gang ba shi, some of liu da kai, and xiao baji quan a few years ago but don't really remember much myself, and didn't go past an extreme novice level in the art (stuck pretty much to taiji quan). Jin gang ba shi did have some very "pigua-esque" technique in it. One technique I remember is starting with a pigua type arm swinging attack, getting inside, and then putting the shoulder and hip into the opponent along with coming across with the front arm (pulling down with the back) for a take down. Think "parting the horses mane" from taiji quan but from a side horse stance.