Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bajiquan

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    CYMac,

You have never actually trained Baji yourself so I am not really inclined to discuss the issue with you. Your performance is clearly a copy from one of the Wu-Tan guys. IMO, you copied it from Adam Hsu's performance.

I am not a really big fan of Wu Lian Zhi's Baji. (the guy you posted from Tudou.com: 吴连枝)

He's 7th generation? So what? I'm 8th gneration, but more to the point, from a totally different branch. IMO, his Baji is more Pigua power than anything else. I have a whole list of criticisms with his style just as I have criticisms of the Wu-Tan style that Adam Hsu represents, but, since you really don't have any foundation in Bajiquan yourself, I don't see any point in discussing stylistic variants with you.
    Then why are you posting? The initial poster have not trained in baji either, are you then wasting your time typing all that stuff up there to him then? What's the point of talking here then? Why don't you go to a special "baji only" forum and talk if your kungfu is so precious and unique that you only discuss it with "baiji practitioners"? Wow, that's lots of confident and self-esteem as well as some "extreme" character you got there man! I see baji from the mouth!
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Chi in Nature - My Taoism Temple Website
    Taoist Master BLOG - my blog

My Kungfu Channel on Youtube

[edit]
    Thanks for the reminder, taai gihk yahn.

Post was too wordy anyways...
    [/edit]

Last edited by omarthefish; 05-07-2011 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post
    Then why are you posting? The initial poster have not trained in baji either, are you then wasting your time typing all that stuff up there to him then? What's the point of talking here then? Why don't you go to a special "baji only" forum and talk if your kungfu is so precious and unique that you only discuss it with "baiji practitioners"? Wow, that's lots of confident and self-esteem as well as some "extreme" character you got there man! I see baji from the mouth!
    WOW!!!

you have just completely gone over the edge of asz-hat to asz-hole; I mean, are you serious?

you really have no clue - Omar is a long-time poster here, studies baji in China, is intelligent and erudite in his posts and actually demonstrates the style in form and usage; you OTOH demonstrate baji from the perspective of an anemic grandparent, have NO forma training in it, and completely misunderstand the whole point of the system: in short, you don't know SHIIT about baji - yet you have no problem lauding a clearly wushufied performance, critiquing Omar's form and then questioning his motivation for posting about it - you have raised the bar of shiit-heel to a new level, you corpulent, plagiocephalic lunatic

you are an asz-hole; if I had any thoughts of giving you a break, they are gone; I am going to make it my personal mission to hound your ridiculous hat-wearing asz wherever you post on this forum; get ready for misery
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 05-07-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Omar,

by now you have realize this guy is a total joke; please don't waste your time attempting to have an intelligent discussion with him, it's clearly not possible;

HW108,

While I can appreciate your aesthetically enjoying the original form (it was, after all, designed for performance), it's really not indicative of the style in terms of shape, energy, etc.; it would behoove you to pay close attention to what Omar is posting, his knowledge and experience of baji is more than that of anyone on here, in fact,probaby more than most people who you might have the opportunity to meet - he studied the style in depth with an acknowledged and reputable teacher, he reads / wrietes / speaks CHinese from an educated perspective, and has demoed his level in both form and application; if you really want to have some input in terms of authenticity, this is someone to pay attention to;

CYMac, OTOH, is a form-colecting hack, who has no kung Fu at all; his understanding of most of what he shows is superficial at best, and if you can't see that, then I am at a loss to provide you with further input

TGY, why do you chastise one moron and placate another?

oop sorry, forgot "Winning Taoism!"
    Kung Fu is good for you.

You talkin' about me or HW?

Posting again because I realized that while I want to avoid getting sucked into a rant with the Celestial Master I had some stuff worth putting out there for HW in that last post regarding comparisons between Baji branches.

Wu Lianzhi:
    Self appointed "zhangmenren" (head of the entire style) and recognized as such within Mengcun but not so much by any of the wider reaching Baji branches. His Baji has a strong Pigua flavour. Got lots of cool apps but I don't see much explosive power from his stuff. Also, from a "behind the scenes" perspective, he's a political force to be reckoned with. His association with the government sponsored "Wulin Da Hui" has made him sort of the government appointed "face of Baji". He's like the Chen Xiaowang of Bajiquan on many levels.

Lu Baochun:
    Best explosive power I have seen from anyone with clips on the net. His application seminars look good too. His lineage does not come from the Wu family though. They branched off quite a while back.

Liu Yunqiao and the Wu-Tan in general:
    Very distinctive style. While in lineage terms these guys are kissing cousins to our association in Xi'an, very different flavor. They have extravagantly deep stances, lots of Bagua influence in their movements and display really "heavy" solid power. Not as explosive as Lu Baochun, IMHO, but very clean. I have issues with their constant slow practice. They do fast too but overall I think their style could use more agility. I think their stances are too low and form performances too slow. I think they are trying to hard to be "internal". Tony Yang's stuff still looks fantastic though and Jason Tsou, while I don't especially like his form style, I've taken classes from him and he's got excellent power and great integration of Bagua and Taiji into his tactical repetoire.

Zhou Jingxuan:
    His stuff comes from Wu Xiufeng, a close relation to the Wu family. I love his speed and explosiveness but again, lost of Pigua in his stuff. He also lacks the kind of really heavy, solid root that the Wu-Tan guys tend to get so well. Just for his speed alone though he makes my list of favorite 3 or 5 online Baji performers.

Zhang Xiangwu/Li Suiyin:
    I'll try to keep it simple because this is my own branch so I can't be objective about judging it so I'll just try to describe only. Zhang Xiangwu pretty much did away with the Pigua and instead created a Baji/Taiji hybrid. I get a little "wild" in my forms, losing stability to be honest, because we really focus on explosive power, speed, and relentless attack. Our concept of "root" is very different from the mainstream. I have gone a bit overboard with the search for speed and explosivity and have actually been trying to tone it back a bit to get more stability lately. It's not a balance issue. I mean that sense of smooth, traveling on rails, power. Once I get that though, I'll speed it back up again.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    you corpulent, plagiocephalic lunatic

OH SNAP!

He said you got a crooked skull son!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    WOW!!!

you have just completely gone over the edge of asz-hat to asz-hole; I mean, are you serious?

you really have no clue - Omar is a long-time poster here, studies baji in China, is intelligent and erudite in his posts and actually demonstrates the style in form and usage; you OTOH demonstrate baji from the perspective of an anemic grandparent, have NO forma training in it, and completely misunderstand the whole point of the system: in short, you don't know SHIIT about baji - yet you have no problem lauding a clearly wushufied performance, critiquing Omar's form and then questioning his motivation for posting about it - you have raised the bar of shiit-heel to a new level, you corpulent, plagiocephalic lunatic

you are an asz-hole; if I had any thoughts of giving you a break, they are gone; I am going to make it my personal mission to hound your ridiculous hat-wearing asz wherever you post on this forum; get ready for misery
    Just curious, why don't you talk without using swear words? Can you talk without them? I mean... you really HAVE to use them in every replies to make your post readable or something? I can't believe how much swearing you use, as a martial artist, you are really hot headed man. Can't you relax? If you can't stop insulting and abusing or bullying, learn it, or else your kids will give you a hard time later on by doing the same thing. Be a good role model man...
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    TGY, why do you chastise one moron and placate another?

oop sorry, forgot "Winning Taoism!"
    finally, someone who "gets" me

Smile Now I know how Columbus must have felt...

...because I think I've discovered something brand new!

Just curious, why don't you talk without using swear words? Can you talk without them? I mean... you really HAVE to use them in every replies to make your post readable or something? I can't believe how much swearing you use, as a martial artist, you are really hot headed man. Can't you relax? If you can't stop insulting and abusing or bullying, learn it, or else your kids will give you a hard time later on by doing the same thing. Be a good role model man...
    it seems that, and I can't be sure, but it SEEMS that CYMac has done something rather unique here: instead of directly responding to what I wrote, he instead highlights a peripheral aspect of it (my allegedly excessive use of profanity), emphasizes it to to a disproportionate extent, draws a non sequitor relationship between it and my being a martial artist (according to him, at least; I have never defined myself as such, but anyway...) and ends with an admonishment vis a vis the relationship between myself and my kids; it's almost as if...as if...he has disempowered my previous post by this startling and never before seen tactic; in fact, I am now so busy mustering a defense to his accusations that I have forgotten what I posted previously! what a brilliant and heretofore unheard of stratagem!

wait, an image that encapsulates his response creeps into my consciousness...

next...

Can't you relax? If you can't stop insulting and abusing or bullying, learn it, or else your kids will give you a hard time later on by doing the same thing. Be a good role model man...
    did your mother beat you

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    [edit]
    Thanks for the reminder, taai gihk yahn.

Post was too wordy anyways...
    [/edit]

actual, too bad you erased it - I liked the way that you explicated your ontological perspective on your training, which was very well thought-out and reasonable; of course, BigMac wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about, since his training is all about breadth rather than depth, but I found it of value; maybe to repost it, if possible? (if not, so it's a great lesson on the nature of impermanence...)

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    did your mother beat you
    no; she tried to snuff him in utero (or, as he puts it, "in her stomach"), by making him gestate next to a zombie cannibal twin sister...which is why his glasses don't fit, or why he eats a lot of donuts, or something like that

By the way, I just want to say thanks for "smartthefish" for posting all these great knowledge up for baiji. Yes, you do open my eyes, I admit my baiji is not as great, but I do train in the style for a period of time as well. Respect.

By the way, I just want to say thanks for "smartthefish" for posting all these great knowledge up for baiji. Yes, you do open my eyes, I admit my baiji is not as great, but I do train in the style for a period of time as well. Respect.
    lol, after getting taken to the shed, son, it's a little late to fess up...