Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Corporations are people?

If Corporations are people?

If corporations are people does that make the stock market a slave market?
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    If corporations are people does that make the stock market a slave market?
    There may be more truth in that statement than many people realize.

Only a slight flaw in the premise.

a corporation is a legal entity afforded the same legal rights as a person.

it's not the same thing exactly, but it is a shield against accountability of the agents within the corporation itself.

For example, you can be founder, CEO and Chair of a corporation that you own outright.

You can salary yourself every penny of profit and become wealthy off the back of the corporation and then, the corporation can falter and go bankrupt, but you, do not.

It is an offshoot and loophole that is the real engine of the capitalist model in use today.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

If you go public, have fun trying to pull that off.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    If you go public, have fun trying to pull that off.
    A PO Corp is yet another thing. The stock owners want the corp to tow the bottom line more than anything and the holders have no accountability for the actions of the corp in that respect either.

Majority shareholders really steer these outfits and it is their will that governs what the corp does day to day. they are not immune to what could be considered immoral or unethical activities. Big Oil companies are a perfect example of the PO corp that is not exactly responsible in it's actions or that will save costs at the expense of people or the environment. BP rig disaster is a perfect example, as are any number of oil spills across the world that are going on right now under the negligent gaze of these companies.

It's easy to slip any hold. Just sell your stock or quit the board and you're out and the carnage continues with someone else helming.

That's modern capitalism for you.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Nice edit.

Point is, no single person is responsible for the disaster. It's a community effort at failing.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Point is, no single person is responsible for the disaster. It's a community effort at failing.
    Wrong. It's all GW Bush's fault.

Nice edit.

I didn't edit anything.

In today's world, democracy has been reduced to a dictatorship of the majority. There is no representative democracy taking place in North America. It's 51:49 and the 49 gotta eat what the 51 want. if it's 50/50 nobody gets nothing.

and yes, this is a direct result of neo-con control in government that in turn writes policies for capitalists to abuse the system.

when lobbyists control the rule of law, corporations control government and I think that has been made abundantly clear building up in the last century.

There cannot be sustained growth. There will be a fall.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Wow David. Please tell me where you took Economics so I'll know to avoid that place like the plague.

We can have sustained growth, once Gov't gets the hell out of the way. History has shown this. Gov't intervention is what creates the problems.

If you say it's a problem of capitalism and unregulated markets, please explain how GW Bush's deregulation caused our current mess. Or duck that one too.

You guys are NOT neighbors right?

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ-Blue View Post
    Wow David. Please tell me where you took Economics so I'll know to avoid that place like the plague.

We can have sustained growth, once Gov't gets the hell out of the way. History has shown this. Gov't intervention is what creates the problems.

If you say it's a problem of capitalism and unregulated markets, please explain how GW Bush's deregulation caused our current mess. Or duck that one too.
    Wow 1badbj. Please tell me where you took English reading comprehension so I'll know to avoid that place like the plague.

the government intervenes in the stock market to it's detriment? pray tell how that is done? Oh wait, I forgot, you are an apologist for greed and thievery.

As for your last line, I think your meds are wearing off, where did I say that or are you going to go with an MO of consistently and constantly put words down for others that they never said in an attempt to push your little fascist agenda here at KFM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    the government intervenes in the stock market to it's detriment? pray tell how that is done? Oh wait, I forgot, you are an apologist for greed and thievery.
    Time for you to learn 2 things. The first being how to answer someone else's questions in a debate.

One way the Gov't intervenes in the stock market is through capital gains taxes. Bill Clinton showed that when you lower capaital gains taxes, more money is invested in the stockmarket, thus increasing the value of many stocks, thus creating wealth. On the flip side, when you raise capital gains taxes, people tend to invest there less and pull their money out before the higher rates kick in, thus lowering the value of many stocks and thus destroying welath. Quite simple actually.

Will you answer my question now?

Time for you to learn 2 things. The first being how to answer someone else's questions in a debate.

One way the Gov't intervenes in the stock market is through capital gains taxes. Bill Clinton showed that when you lower capaital gains taxes, more money is invested in the stockmarket, thus increasing the value of many stocks, thus creating wealth. On the flip side, when you raise capital gains taxes, people tend to invest there less and pull their money out before the higher rates kick in, thus lowering the value of many stocks and thus destroying welath. Quite simple actually.

Will you answer my question now?
    yep, you don't get it and pin everything on singular events.

you think capital gains taxes are the primary governing factor for investment? You know nothing about money man. I'd hate to have your portfolio, it probably sucks and you have everything invested in gun manufacturers and oil companies. lol

dude, if i realize a profit, I don't care about taxes. I want to pay taxes! I like paying taxes!

The more taxes I pay, the more services and more civilization I get.

If you cannot comprehend the value of paying taxes for services, then I'm afraid you aren't even leaving the starting gate.

so, maybe you should be studying deeper instead of trying to ask silly question about why lower population density areas have black ink on their books as compared to the two most populated states in your country that support a huge portion of the population of your country and also generate some of the highest revenues.

But by all means, if you want to be all sunshine and texas , then great, you go do that pal. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

yep, you don't get it and pin everything on singular events.
    You asked how Government "intervenes in the stock market to it's detriment" and asked me to tell you how it's done. So I gave you an example. I did not say it was the only way, I simply gave you an example because you had asked for an example.

Unlike you, I answer questions asked of me.

you think capital gains taxes are the primary governing factor for investment?
    No, I do not. And notice I never said that.

You know nothing about money man. I'd hate to have your portfolio, it probably sucks and you have everything invested in gun manufacturers and oil companies. lol
    I know that when you spend more than you take in, you are asking for trouble. Apparently that's a foreign concept for liberals like you and Obama though.

My portfolio is fine. I didn't invest in Gov't bonds, or Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, or Government Motors. I also don't have any stock in gun manufacturers or oil companies. I do wish I had bought gold a few years ago. Had I known Obama would be spending paper money like an entire crew of drunken sailors, I'd have bought some the day after he won the election.

If you cannot comprehend the value of paying taxes for services, then I'm afraid you aren't even leaving the starting gate.
    I know anytime the Government competes directly with private industry, I go with the private industry. After all, who do you trust with your mail more; the USPS or FedEx? Which one is a profitable company and which one bleeds BILLIONS of dollars?

so, maybe you should be studying deeper instead of trying to ask silly question about why lower population density areas have black ink on their books as compared to the two most populated states in your country that support a huge portion of the population of your country and also generate some of the highest revenues.
    Whoa! Whoa! Are you actually trying to answer my question here?

But by all means, if you want to be all sunshine and texas , then great, you go do that pal. lol
    Considering Texas is the best State now for jobs and real estate, we must be doing something right. Unlike those deep blue States like New York and California who are teetering on bankruptcy, and in California's case, actually losing population.

You asked how Government "intervenes in the stock market to it's detriment" and asked me to tell you how it's done. So I gave you an example. I did not say it was the only way, I simply gave you an example because you had asked for an example.

Unlike you, I answer questions asked of me.

No, I do not. And notice I never said that.

I know that when you spend more than you take in, you are asking for trouble. Apparently that's a foreign concept for liberals like you and Obama though.

My portfolio is fine. I didn't invest in Gov't bonds, or Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, or Government Motors. I also don't have any stock in gun manufacturers or oil companies. I do wish I had bought gold a few years ago. Had I known Obama would be spending paper money like an entire crew of drunken sailors, I'd have bought some the day after he won the election.

I know anytime the Government competes directly with private industry, I go with the private industry. After all, who do you trust with your mail more; the USPS or FedEx? Which one is a profitable company and which one bleeds BILLIONS of dollars?

Whoa! Whoa! Are you actually trying to answer my question here?

Considering Texas is the best State now for jobs and real estate, we must be doing something right. Unlike those deep blue States liek New York and California who are teetering on bankruptcy, and in California's case, actually losing population.
    You are such a monumentally stupid person it is fun to give you the ribbing you deserve for being so blatantly foolish in your presumptions and ridiculous posturing.

We need at least one idiot like you, I mean, we have a few of the trollshido idiots hanging around here sniffing themselves and pretending to be all manly and such.

But really? lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.