Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: check this out

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    "MMA fad" Not sure what the parameters are for a "fad" but I do not think BJJ nor MMA are a "fad." They are here for a long time. The sooner CMA accepts that the better.

Knifefighter... no one knows who Kurt is in the grand scheme of things, so how could one say yeah or neah!?

JAB
    Rocks have been around forever, but someone had the bright idea of painting one to look like a cat and thus a fad was born.

Jumping on the bandwagon solely because everyone else is, is what a fad is all about.

True Dat JAB!

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post

Knifefighter... no one knows who Kurt is in the grand scheme of things, so how could one say yeah or neah!?

JAB
    This is true and this is what makes me regret my wrong choice of words when I was responding to the "you don't know real kung fu because you haven't seen real kung fu" accusation that's casually tossed about.

I've actually thought quite a lot about what it means to truly participate in the Mantis community, and I don't contribute and I'm not really even mantis anymore.

What I mean is that there are people here who've sacrificed a great deal of money and time to travel the world seeking out the best mantis instructors, they've written articles and books, produced videos, spoke at engagements, learned new languages... all of this for the betterment of mantis. I do absolutely none of that and, in truth, my martial interests are actually taking me away from mantis.

I enjoyed mantis when I was participating and I've really enjoyed meeting everyone that I've met in that community over the years and I've made a lot of life-long friends... but - I'm not going to pursue becoming anything more in mantis - so really this will probably be the last thread that I contribute on in the mantis only forum.

Seriously doggs, it's been 10 years since I've even done a TCMA tourney, why the heck am I still lurking about on this board? - later, peace

Quote Originally Posted by DBAC View Post
    Rocks have been around forever, but someone had the bright idea of painting one to look like a cat and thus a fad was born.

Jumping on the bandwagon solely because everyone else is, is what a fad is all about.
    And then there are those who specifically avoid the fad, simply on the principle that they don't join fads... even if those fads enhance what they do.

referring to fad's I just had this conversation about motorcyles i.e choppers have been around since the 60's when the fad was to stretch out and rake your front end.

This "FAD" ended in the 70's and only recently re appeared in the 90's thanks to jesse james and OCC I compare Harley's to TCMA and choppers to MMA in this case. it will have it's time, but TCMA is timeless. This will come and go like music fashion and cars,
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

why?

Why will it go?

ummm cuz its a fad , and all fads come and go, MMA is hot right now, schools opneing up all over the place, but it will fade away just like all fads......
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    referring to fad's I just had this conversation about motorcyles i.e choppers have been around since the 60's when the fad was to stretch out and rake your front end.

This "FAD" ended in the 70's and only recently re appeared in the 90's thanks to jesse james and OCC I compare Harley's to TCMA and choppers to MMA in this case. it will have it's time, but TCMA is timeless. This will come and go like music fashion and cars,
    jesse james and west coast made waaaaaay better machines than occ.

pauls designs were ugly. they were always the same thing over and over again. The only nice sled that came out of that show was the old school sporty they gave to the nephew kid. It looked like an indian larry fabrication.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

oh i totally agree, I like paul borget bikes my self, but for sure jesse is a true bike builder, OCC are bike assmeblers
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

My brother-in-law opened an MMA gym a few years ago. He had no martial arts training himself, so he hired another instructor to actually do the teaching. All the family, except me, jumped on board. Now its closed and I am the only one still training. TCMA ad infinitum!

I give MMA another 5-7 years before it goes the way of Kickboxing, Ninjutsu and Jeet Kune Do. It will undoubtedly still be around, but its star will wane and something else will become the new fad. And some of the instructors on this board who are so vocal in its defense will have jumped on the new bandwagon, as we have seen them do in the past, to keep their businesses alive. Such is change and business.

I personally hope lions and the Coliseum come back!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

so true mooying, check out my thread on the main board that reads where did you get your opinion about kung fu... I cant wait for the responses
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

if anyone thinks that MMA is a passing fad that will disappear in a few years, they apparently are not in touch w the way that the mainstream sports media has embraced MMA in a manner that it NEVER accepted kickboxing; ninjitsu, for all it's popularity in the '80's, killed itself by it's own hokeyness ad absurdum, and was never something that could be promoted in a sporting venue; and JKD - please - fringe at best as concerns generl population;

MMA is big $; it ain't goin' nowhere...

fad or evolution?

Umm combining most effective techniques at all ranges a fad or evolution of a worldwide sport trained fighting method using techniques from any where as long as they work.

mma IS coliseum stuff.

there is lots of blood.
    that is what the viewing people want.

I personally prefer to watch good old boxing.

The skill levels shown and required are pretty high all the way round, which is not true of mma which has guys in it who really shouldn't be there but get to be tomato cans and concussion collectors.

only the very top elites are enjoyable to watch ply their trade and the rest are shlubs.

but boxers, they all got something sweet to offer for the most part.

Kung Fu practitioners should find a way to fight with staffs in a marketable way. I think people would like that. Also, it would really up the staff play around teh world!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Kung Fu practitioners should find a way to fight with staffs in a marketable way. I think people would like that. Also, it would really up the staff play around teh world!
    Sounds good. What's the ruleset to be, then?
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    Sounds good. What's the ruleset to be, then?
    There can be only one...