Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: check this out

check this out

this i quote form Mightyb on the main board so I was wondering if my felow mantis brothers feel he is the top mantis guy in all of America

I was accepted as one of eight disciples of Chung - Just knowing that about me should say a lot about my Mantis ability. Even without regularly practicing mantis for the last 7 years because of a work related relocation, I'd still say I'm still one of the top mantis players in the nation (that's why I think a lot of you guys are douches- no offense ). Now I've never been afraid of using my real name, so ask the person who you were so in awe of attending his seminar and getting your picture taken with if Kurt from Michigan is any good at mantis.
    PS I am calling raymond Fogg in Dallas today OK?

what cracks me up is we have 6 of Master Wei's top students living in the US, and you feel your beter than then a;ll of these masters is that correct? Im sure Ernie Wu and John Chang would feel the same about some guy named Kurt from michigan.

Not trying to be a jerk here mighty, but people mak some crazy claims on the internet. So please forgive me for not taking you seriously. I am a geertation and have just 21 years in mantis and I am only beginning to understand a little.
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 10-13-2010 at 07:20 AM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

wow you're dumb

You missed my point entirely. Read slowly for comprehension - Too many TCMA-ers say that people who cross train do it because they've never seen the realz kung fu. That is not the case at all. Many people have seen the realz kung fu and still choose to cross train - so I say stop using that as an argument as to why we shouldn't look at having some type of base level of sports training. I think that people like Master Wang and the Combat SC association have probably the best grasp on what this should be because they've been doing it the longest using TCMA techniques and methods.

Never said I was the top - just in the upper percentage and heck - 2/3rds of those who post on the mantis board wouldn't know the realz mantis if it bit them in the arse.

-yes I did just use the "you wouldn't know the realz kung fu argument", ha ha yeah take that!

guys - what Earth's mad about - and I can't figure out why - is because I advocate cross training and don't buy that people cross train only because they haven't seen real kung fu.

I say people cross train even if they've seen the realz kung fu, so that isn't a good argument and it's not fair to say that and it's actually quite insulting.

-now let's look at themes I always go back to:

1) Cross train only after you've reached a certain degree of proficiency in a style usually after about 5 years of training with a good sifu.

2) you should only cross train in styles that compliment your base style.

3) simpler is better

4) live drilling with good sparring partners is the only way to get good

5) and - it's not a martial art unless it requires at least two people to practice

One would think with 40+ years of martial training between the two of you that some of the ego would have been shed. One would think....

JAB
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    One would think with 40+ years of martial training between the two of you that some of the ego would have been shed. One would think....

JAB
    Jake - my Ego is huge. Has to be - type A personality and all but yeah -- saying I'm one of the top does cross the line and I apologize for that...

But it doesn't diminish the fact that the "you don't know the realz kung fu because you haven't seen it" argument that everybody uses is in fact quite insulting (on many levels).

Kurt is it?
    If I got my panties in an uproar every time someone said something insulting about me, my teachers, or my art online I would never be at peace brother.

This is EXACTLY the **** that has put the CMA in the dismal hole it is in. The internet is not our friend when just anyone can make any claim.

Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Kurt is it?
    If I got my panties in an uproar every time someone said something insulting about me, my teachers, or my art online I would never be at peace brother.

This is EXACTLY the **** that has put the CMA in the dismal hole it is in. The internet is not our friend when just anyone can make any claim.

Cheers
    Jake
    exactly- you're right on that one.

Don't know why, and it wasn't even Earth's comment, I got so mad.

and again I apologize for the "one of the top mantis players" comment I made.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    guys - what Earth's mad about - and I can't figure out why - is because I advocate cross training and don't buy that people cross train only because they haven't seen real kung fu.

I say people cross train even if they've seen the realz kung fu, so that isn't a good argument and it's not fair to say that and it's actually quite insulting.

-now let's look at themes I always go back to:

1) Cross train only after you've reached a certain degree of proficiency in a style usually after about 5 years of training with a good sifu.

2) you should only cross train in styles that compliment your base style.

3) simpler is better

4) live drilling with good sparring partners is the only way to get good

5) and - it's not a martial art unless it requires at least two people to practice
    Disregarding other aspects of this thread, I did want to comment on feelings toward cross training.

While I agree that having an understanding and a degree of proficiency in other styles is beneficial, too often I have seen individuals go down this slippery slope without fully understanding what they have right in front of them. This lack of understanding causes them to see barriers that they say are inherent within the style when in reality it was by their own notion that the barrier was created in the first place.

This close-mindedness is in by no means limited to the beginner. Whether you have been studying for 1, 5, or even 20 years you are susceptible to falling prey to this mentality.

I can not say what level of proficiency or understanding would be recommended before cross-training. There is simply no standard of measure that covers what is necessary before one could venture off into other styles. If one does this too early and without the right mindset then they are likely to build even more barriers to the point that their proficiency is halted or at worst, regresses.
    Last edited by DBAC; 10-13-2010 at 08:49 AM.

Mightb,
    I have nothing against cross training, I do it myself, in fact I am buying an octagon and chuck anzelone is working for me to teach BJJ, so my students can do MMA stuff as well as the other ciriculums in my school.

My comment was if you are missing a cetain aspect in this case SC, then I asked why you would want to add it and not add other aspects of what your style is missing, that was all plain an simple.

cross train every day with as many different people as much as you can.

I just found it funny that you said you are one of the top mantis guys in the US and most of us have never heard of you.

but no worries Kurt its all good. I get exicted and passionate about mantis myself. peace
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    Mightb,
    I have nothing against cross training, I do it myself, in fact I am buying an octagon and chuck anzelone is working for me to teach BJJ, so my students can do MMA stuff as well as the other ciriculums in my school.

My comment was if you are missing a cetain aspect in this case SC, then I asked why you would want to add it and not add other aspects of what your style is missing, that was all plain an simple.

cross train every day with as many different people as much as you can.

I just found it funny that you said you are one of the top mantis guys in the US and most of us have never heard of you.

but no worries Kurt its all good. I get exicted and passionate about mantis myself. peace
    Fair enough and no problems bro - I was thinking of your original question and my cross training does definitely have to do with the MMA fad. I didn't intend to be a fad chaser, but that's the reality of the situation in MA now and we didn't have anything that resembled BJJ.

IMO I think it's very important to know enough to get back up if you're taken down by somebody that knows BJJ.

This is all because of age - I'm still relatively young so I'm still feisty so I still want to hang with the "fighters" and that's how fighters fight right now.

- as to the second part of the original question - I'll definitely go more internal as I get older. One thing I regret is not committing to learning the Lo Hun Gung when I was shown it many years ago.

The bone setting, herbology, accupressure and accupuncture, moxy bustion, and all that - let's face it, I may have missed that boat because a person only has so much time in their life to learn and Mantis by itself is a lifetime.

But you're right in that all of that would constitute cross-training.

still didn't answer your question-

I suggested SC (I meant shuai jiao) because I think it'd be the easiest for TCMA to adopt since most TCMA already trains some kuai jiao throwing. Shuai Jiao and Kuai Jiao are super similar.

gottcha, no harm no foul. Well if your looking to add something, SC would be a good choice, I am fortunate because its already in 8 step and goes hand in hand with most mantis applications and lead in's, however it is a style within a style and really needs a few years of dedicated trainign before it can be pulled off effortlessly.

knowking psysics leverage, adn manipulation of ones center is of great importance so you are not relying on muscle to perform your throws, this is the hardest part about throwing.
    Ok all is good
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think he is one of the very few mantis people who have actually competed in open, full-contact competitions. If that's the case, that probably would make him one of the top guys, at least in being able to actually use his stuff.

"MMA fad" Not sure what the parameters are for a "fad" but I do not think BJJ nor MMA are a "fad." They are here for a long time. The sooner CMA accepts that the better.

Knifefighter... no one knows who Kurt is in the grand scheme of things, so how could one say yeah or neah!?

JAB
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    MMA fad" Not sure what the parameters are for a "fad" but I do not think BJJ nor MMA are a "fad." They are here for a long time. The sooner CMA accepts that the better.
    said this a hundred times to the traditional guys, like driving nails into solid rock.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.