Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What non-kung fu pursuits have helped your kung fu training?

NyHc Guest
    I have to add my bit about Kung Fu and music as well.
    I've been playing drums for about 12 years...
    After studying Kung Fu, my stamina for playing has increased drastically. Just like soft and hard stikes in Kung Fu, you have soft and hard strikes in percussion.
    The composition of songs is virtually identical (in theory) to that of forms. Simply put, playing a song from start to finish is a sequence of movements - that must be mastered in order for the song to come out right.
    Each member of the band working together would be comparable to a four-man matching set (if such a thing exists). Must be in complete unison.
    I've found the two arts to be alike in so many ways. And the way they compliment each other is amazing.

Then, while playing the drum during Lion Dance, I get to combine both...

Good thread.

Peace.

NyHc Guest
    ...forgot to mention the coordination aspect.

When you can get each one of your limbs to operate with a mind of their own, (done when playing drums) coordination in Kung Fu becomes considerably easier.

Kung Lek Guest
    wait a sec, nospams right...hahahaha all that stuff i mentioned earlier is all part of my Kung Fu path.

peace

Kung Lek

RFM Guest

Military Training

Okay, what's the difference, really? Well I when entered the service, I was not as in tune with my body as I am now, nor did I pay as much attention to detail as I do now, or have the pride in my work as I do now.

This has impacted my martial arts, my kung fu, as I have strived for perfection in my form and techniques, but also because of my attention to detail, I can appreciate the mechanics involved in all my martial movements.

In the army, things are very detailed in explaination. When a senior soldier is explaining a task to a junior, less experienced soldier, the senior must go through great detail to insure that the task is done properly and that there are no questions left unanswered (thus allowing the junior to grow through taking initiative)....anyways, through this process I was able to develop a much deeper understanding of my art and how each posture, each position, could change a simple punch or throw.

Make any sense?

Bob

From One Thing, Know Ten Thousand.

Brad Guest
    A girl I know has started giving me dance lessons(ballet, jazz, & ballroom).

Brad Guest
    Other than the obvious benefits to strength, rythem, flexabiliy, and posture, it also helps in learning to express your emotions in a physical way. This I feel helps me to perform my forms with the proper intensity and get the most out of my workout.

HuangKaiVun Guest
    I went to American medical school for 3 years before quitting due to parental BS.

The knowledge I gained about the human body has been invaluable to my training.

AsianSifu Guest

Teaching my daughters kung fu

May is doing sit ups.

Jin basically likes swimming more. I can not swim to well, but I learned the frog stroke in L.A. when I first came to the United States.

I love my daughters and they grow up over a long time just like my kung fu.

I don't have a signature because I have no pen to write it.

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Asiansifu, do your daughters enjoy the kung fu training?

Or do they rebel - as many Taiwanese kids who want to become mainstream Americans do?

Sho Pi Guest

good topic

I am pretty sure that in the Book of Five Rings Musashi stated something similar to this thread.

I don't happen to have my copy handy but he states that all the arts/professions are related...and they compliment each other. To be a master of one you needed to be competent in many....

I realize that I am grossly misquoting but thought it was a neat parallel

Sho Pi

fungku Guest

DEFINATELY!

I think my love for SOCCER has helped me a lot!
    I started in GR 9 practicing every day with my best friend. We trained daily, as well as liftied weights and ran. anyway...
    in gr 11 I was on The New Brunswick team (my province) and grade 12 I was on the New Brunswick Men's Canada Games Team that is competing in The 2001 Canada Games (I have quit the team since, for various reasons).
    But the training in soccer has DEFINATELY helped me in my kung fu, which I started in Gr 12. You wouldn't believe ho wmuch it helped.
    Also in gr 10-11 I used to skateboard, and I would spend hours training how to use it. Sensitivity in your feet and timing is something you pick up from that. A kickflip or 180 flip requires precise timing. You have to 'catch' the board in the air, while it is spinning. You would sweat so much while practicing these tricks, even though there is little movement involved. It's the CONCENTRATION that makes you sweat.

Also in soccer, you learn timing, it is very difficult to learn to kick a moving ball that is in the air, you automatically with prcticing over and over learn the angles, and timing, eventually you can kick the ball extremely hard, and fast without extending very much effort at all. It's all in the technique. I have seen people first learning how to kick the ball. they swing their leg so hard!!! and smack that ball. It will go a fair distance, but if you have good technique, one smooth coordinated swing of the leg and the ball SOARS! It also feels good :)

Anyway I think all things can be related to kung fu in some way or another, you just gotta look :)

----- :) -----

Johnny Hot Shot Guest

Hi baller Kung fu tree planter

I'm not sure how many of you all are familiar with the tree planting industry in Canada but I sure am ( I did it for 6 years)
    Tree planting is EXTREMLY HARD work you are paid by the tree so the more you plant the more you make. Near the end of my carrer I was planting roughly 2000 trees a day.
    My martial arts traing I belive helped me to achieve this level of perfomance. Since I have left that industry I feel that my tree planting has enhanced my martial arts performance, in that my stamina and my ability to focus for long periods has been greatly improved. Oddly enough the more I think about how activities other than martial arts enhance my martial arts, I think that what ever you do if you are a serious MA then everything can help you in your training even as I type or mabey I'm just a fanatic. ;)

[This message was edited by Loc_Qui on 05-03-01 at 03:23 PM.]