Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reaching a higher level

reaching a higher level

My first post: (On one of those really horrific threads)
    Building a house
    If you want to build a serviceable cottage in a simple location, you don't need to spend years studying architecture...that would be a waste of time...
    If you want to be able to build unique structures in unique locations, and to teach others how to do so, then it will take you years and years of study before you can begin building.

The same is true for any skill--cooking, painting, writing, fighting...you name it.

What do YOU want to get out of the martial arts? It's not something the rest of us really have much say in.

There are as many martial roads as there are practitioners.
    Kung fu is what it means. It's not about quick results, it's about a higher end.

Why spend so much time drilling? So you're not a sloppy fighter (or a sloppy person).
    Techniques don't work for you? maybe you need to drill them more.

Kung fu is about cultivation. Not about a quick fix. When people ask me about my school I say, 'If you want to learn to fight ASAP we are the wrong place for you. But, if you want to spend the rest of your life with always something new to learn and eventually become better than you ever thought possible, then you should check us out.' Well, it's not exactly what I say, but that's 'cause I talk too much. But that's how it is.

I don't care if I don't have videos. I don't care if you don't believe me. I've seen real kung fu and it is very very very NICE. I know I'm not the only one here. (We're everywhere!)

Even at my pitiful beginner's level I have gotten much more from my training than I ever expected to when I decided to take up MA again.

You get what you give...you have to give more to KF than MMMA (Modern Mixed...), but over time the equation holds. (I've given a lot more than I expected too also, but it's so worth it)

It's all about whether you want to take the time to reach that higher level, or just want to be BAD ASAP.

Me, I was BAD before I started training.
    Now that I've seen some real kung fu, I'm a super wimp. I've got a whole different standard now. It's going to take a long time and a lot of hard work to get where I'm going.

I think it's an absolute joke that this post seems relevant to me. It's basically a 'what's kung fu' post. But somehow it seems like it needs to be addressed again.
    Hello? Anyone out there? Do you actually read any of the posts? There's a number of really great kung fu guys on this forum (at least as far as their writing on the subject goes). Open your eyes or ... I won't say it.

Kung fu= skill over time. This means more basics less sparring. (not none, less. You can understand that, right?) the idea is not to turn into another sloppy scrapper...which is apparently the only real martial artist around.

What a joke. Flame on. (Or better yet, go post a poem on my thread in the qigong/meditation forum)

Disclaimer: MMA is Awesome. Sparring/'live' training is critical. Kung fu still rocks your world.

really...I don't want to hear your response...just read and move along. go post a poem please.

It really all depends on what YOU want out of it. I am never going to be a master, and I'm fine with that. Ultimately, you'll never get THE STREETZ DEADLIEZ without... you know... fighting, you know... in the streets.

Most people get a better level of health, nice muscles, some clever observations on physiology, and better flexibility. Nothing wrong with that, really. I'm more worried about getting shot than roundhoused.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I'm more worried about getting shot than roundhoused.
    Me too.

If you want to be able to build unique structures in unique locations, and to teach others how to do so, then it will take you years and years of study before you can begin building.
    Those years of study include building simple cottages.

You don't wait until your a master to begin fighting...
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Kung fu is about cultivation. Not about a quick fix. When people ask me about my school I say, 'If you want to learn to fight ASAP we are the wrong place for you. But, if you want to spend the rest of your life with always something new to learn and eventually become better than you ever thought possible, then you should check us out.' Well, it's not exactly what I say, but that's 'cause I talk too much. But that's how it is.
    LOL @ the whole, it takes longer, but you end up with a higher level of skill, bullsh!t. If it takes longer to develop skill, it just means you are that much behind the curve at the upper levels of skill. MMA practitioners don't suddenly stop getting better at some arbitrary point while TMA people keep getting better. That is a ludicrous as thinking a kid who gets straight A's doesn't have an advantage in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    LOL @ the whole, it takes longer, but you end up with a higher level of skill, bullsh!t. If it takes longer to develop skill, it just means you are that much behind the curve at the upper levels of skill. MMA practitioners don't suddenly stop getting better at some arbitrary point while TMA people keep getting better. That is a ludicrous as thinking a kid who gets straight A's doesn't have an advantage in college.
    I was fed this same garbage at my former school,especially when I started doing fake taji.There were guys who've been studying for years who couldn't use one bit of what they've learned.It's sad that people are still being taken for a ride in TMA.

I love how people seem to believe "combat sports" are also a "quick fix."

Ugh....
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Blog Entries
    I don't want to hear your response...just read and move along.
    Sorry that I didn't see this one (original post deleted). Not sure about the purpose of this thread if no response is allowed.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-17-2010 at 10:40 PM.

go post a poem please.
    ok mang.

Babylon Revisited
    Amiri Baraka

The gaunt thing
    with no organs
    creeps along the streets
    of Europe, she will
    commute, in her feathered bat stomach-gown
    with no organs
    with sores on her insides
    even her head
    a vast puschamber
    of pus(sy) memories
    with no organs
    nothing to make babies
    she will be the great witch of euro-american legend
    who sucked the life
    from some unknown ******
    whose name will be known
    but whose substance will not ever
    not even by him
    who is dead in a pile of dopeskin

This ***** killed a friend of mine named Bob Thompson
    a black painter, a giant, once, she reduced
    to a pitiful imitation ***got
    full of American holes and a monkey on his back
    slapped airplanes
    from the empire state building

May this ***** and her sisters, all of them,
    receive my words
    in all their orifices like lye mixed
    cocola and alaga syrup

feel this ****, *****es, feel it, now laugh your
    hysterectic laughs
    while your flesh burns
    and your eyes peel to red mud
    Last edited by bawang; 10-18-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    I love how people seem to believe "combat sports" are also a "quick fix."

Ugh....
    they aren't a quick fix, but in a class context they can produce a false sense of ability as easily as a kung fu class.

a beginner is a beginner, but they all have their eyes set on the end and often, this is detrimental to moving along the path laid out before them regardless of the line of study.

there's a lot of one year mma pracs who like to think they are the sh1t just as much as there are 1 year karate or kung fu or tkd guys who figure they're the deadly as well.

the longer you go, the more honed you become. except in the case of a couple of people who are outliers and despite their experience seem quite bitter. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Kung fu is what it means. It's not about quick results, it's about a higher end.
    if you had some sense of the socio-historical context of why this belief permeates, you might realize how funny it is to hear you (and others) proclaim it as if they actually understood it...as far as a "higher end", what,exactly would that be in your estimation? are you shooting for your Shen bursting out of your 10,000 Meetings point? or are you looking for finally ending the cycle of death and rebirth? if so, you better polish that stone a little less...

Why spend so much time drilling? So you're not a sloppy fighter (or a sloppy person).
    no; the way to not be a sloppy fighter is to fight and receive correction about how you function in that context

Techniques don't work for you? maybe you need to drill them more.
    or maybe you need different techniques, or better strategy, or better conditioning

this is quite the conceit - the sub-text implication is that you are better than others who want a "quick fix"; tell you what - next time you have your arm ripped off in a thresher or systemic sepsis, when you go to the hospital, and they offer you the "quick fix", try to remember that it's about cultivation...

I don't care if I don't have videos. I don't care if you don't believe me. I've seen real kung fu and it is very very very NICE. I know I'm not the only one here. (We're everywhere!)Even at my pitiful beginner's level I have gotten much more from my training than I ever expected to when I decided to take up MA again.
    that's awesome - why then do you feel the need to project your experience in a generalized manner?

You get what you give...you have to give more to KF than MMMA (Modern Mixed...), but over time the equation holds. (I've given a lot more than I expected too also, but it's so worth it)
    aside from what you personally perceive as being worth it, which no one can say as being otherwise, that's just a ridiculous, biased statement with no basis in reality

It's all about whether you want to take the time to reach that higher level, or just want to be BAD ASAP.
    more elitist conceit

Me, I was BAD before I started training.
    Now that I've seen some real kung fu, I'm a super wimp. I've got a whole different standard now. It's going to take a long time and a lot of hard work to get where I'm going.
    if that is the medicine you need, then take it; for others, it may not be;

I think it's an absolute joke that this post seems relevant to me. It's basically a 'what's kung fu' post. But somehow it seems like it needs to be addressed again.
    Hello? Anyone out there? Do you actually read any of the posts? There's a number of really great kung fu guys on this forum (at least as far as their writing on the subject goes). Open your eyes or ... I won't say it.
    you seem to be in a awful hurry to "teach" - what happened to being a beginner and having to cutivate a "long time"?

Kung fu= skill over time. This means more basics less sparring. (not none, less. You can understand that, right?) the idea is not to turn into another sloppy scrapper...which is apparently the only real martial artist around.
    again, more ridiculousness - your subjective perspective is in direct opposition to a large body of objective research regarding motor skill acquisition; the way to get better at basics, is to practice basics; the way to get better at sparring is to practice sparring, but under appropriate conditions;

What a joke. Flame on. (Or better yet, go post a poem on my thread in the qigong/meditation forum)
    Disclaimer: MMA is Awesome. Sparring/'live' training is critical. Kung fu still rocks your world.
    really...I don't want to hear your response...just read and move along. go post a poem please.
    you may want to have your teacher regulate some of your internal practice, it seems to be playing havoc with your cortical processing;

as for a poem:
    I grow old … I grow old …
    I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
    I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
    I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
    Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
    When the wind blows the water white and black.

We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
    By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
    Till human voices wake us, and we drown.
    - excerpt from "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock", T.S. Eliot

All you guys talking about cultivation realize that it takes 10 years or more to get a BJJ black belt, right?

And you got your kung fu black sash in what, 3...4?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    All you guys talking about cultivation realize that it takes 10 years or more to get a BJJ black belt, right?

And you got your kung fu black sash in what, 3...4?
    just because they practice Eight Brocade and do a little sitting meditation, people like to talk about "cultivation" as if they are frickin' Boddidharma, without having even the SLIGHTEST notion of what it actually means...

quick fix for a "higher level"

Here's how you all can reach a higher level in TCMA or something else.

It is THE answer to all of your questions.

The one and only golden truth.

The fixture to all of your fallacies.

Ready for it.

You better sit down 'cuz it will blow your mind...

And it's sooooo easy even your Ma can do it!

ok

without further ado.

here it is...

wait for it...

wait...

for...

it...

Here's the answer:

Know why your training and what your training for. Be specific and honest with yourself. You'll find the right training as long as your specific and honest with YOURSELF.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Know why your training and what your training for. Be specific and honest with yourself. You'll find the right training as long as your specific and honest with YOURSELF.
    I'd say that the key eement is "yourself" - in other words, whie you may think that you have unlocked the secrets of the universe, think twice before proclaiming them as "teh corr3ct" for anyone else...that goes as much for the MMA realists just as it does for the TCMA fantasists...